These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

Line 6 Link Cable? aes/eau? or dmx? or high quality xlr mic?
by binny911 on 2011-11-07 13:27:58

Hi,

Is a aes/eau cable sometimes called a DMX cable? Are they the same thing?

I need to be sure I get the right cable for my new pod 500 to my new dt25 cabe run.

I see a large cost spectrum. I want to be sure I dont screw up.

Thanks!

Binny

Re: Line 6 Link Cable? aes/eau? or dmx? or high quality xlr mic?
by jcurry on 2011-11-07 17:39:41

I ordered one from eBay. Mogami 110 ohm AES/EBU W3080 cable and Neutrik connectors. 15' cable for $21.25 + shipping. You'll pay $50 for a 3' Monster or Mogami cable from most places. pre-packaged name brand cables from most places are a huge rip off. You'll save a small fortune if you find a good place that makes them from components they buy in bulk.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220707787456&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1123

by Rowbi on 2011-11-08 00:40:06

the official word from Line 6 at the moment is to use a standard microphone cable no longer than 6 metres.  There's an FAQ on this site somewhere that says the best cable they found was a classic series Planet Waves mivrophone cable.  I have a 3 and 6 metre one of those cables and they work very well with my POD HD500 and DT50.

But I have seen some speculation recently from users saying they've used AES/EBU cables (sometimes called DMX cables) to resolve noise issues... BUT I think it may be that those users have some other interference issues with where they are using their gear.  Line 6 wouldn't have said to use a microphone cable (which does have some shielding) if it wasn't going to work.  Also the data on the Line6Link cable is digital I think, so electromagnetic or radio interference wouldn't affect the L6Link signal anyway I don't think.

That said, I have asked Line 6 for an official answer to this topic, of whether to use mic cables or AES/EBU cables, so once I have that info from them, and depending what the answer is, I'll either update you or L6 will perhaps post an FAQ doc.

I hope this helps you

Rowbi

by greghall on 2011-11-08 00:57:26

Hi Rowbi,

The L6 Link Connectivity Guide says an AES-EBU cable is recommended, so it seems there is a bit of confusion here, since the Planet Waves classic series is not an AES cable.

Connect an XLR cable from the POD HD

L6 LINK jack directly to the DT amp’s L6 LINK IN

jack (the use of an AES-EBU type XLR cable is highly recommended since this is a digital connection):

by Rowbi on 2011-11-08 03:58:05

here's my information source: http://line6.com/l6link/

and here's a quote from that page:

"What kind of cable does L6 LINK use?

L6 LINK works with a standard XLR cable. Because the quality and manufacturing processes of XLR cables vary widely, we can’t guarantee the performance of any particular XLR cable. However, if you are looking for a cable to use with L6 LINK, we recommend the Classic Series Microphone Cable (25 ft.) from Planet Waves, which was among the best we tested."

So it doesn't say quite what I remember, but it does recommend a standard, not too expensive, Mic cable.

BUT what you've just said is news to me, as I can't remember seeing that info when I last read the L6Link connectivity guide...

Best I go and buy an AES cable for myself then...  Thanks for picking that up Greg, good catch.

Cheers

Rowbi

by Line6Tony on 2011-11-08 11:52:59

I quoted the last two posts at http://line6.com/support/message/326402#326402. I'm trying to get this info clarified on the site. Thanks, guys.

by rwfrancis on 2012-02-21 07:23:00

I see a recommendation from Rowbi above that says no longer than 6 meters, but the another recommedation that says Planet Waves Classic Series (25').

I have a Planet Waves Classic Series (25') cable from my HD 500 to a DT 50 Head and it works fine.  I bought a second head and put another Planet Waves Classic Series (25') cable between the heads and it doesn't communicate with the second head.

So I am assuming there is a limit to the total distance the signal will carry.  Something less than 50'. 

Can anyone tell me what cable lengths they've successfully used to operate two DT series amps together with an HD 500. 

I just don't want to keep buying cable to experiment with.

Thanks.

by TheRealZap on 2012-02-21 07:40:19

have you updated the firmware on both heads?

by Rowbi on 2012-02-21 08:14:00

rwfrancis wrote:

I see a recommendation from Rowbi above that says no longer than 6 meters, but the another recommedation that says Planet Waves Classic Series (25').

I have a Planet Waves Classic Series (25') cable from my HD 500 to a DT 50 Head and it works fine.  I bought a second head and put another Planet Waves Classic Series (25') cable between the heads and it doesn't communicate with the second head.

So I am assuming there is a limit to the total distance the signal will carry.  Something less than 50'. 

Can anyone tell me what cable lengths they've successfully used to operate two DT series amps together with an HD 500. 

I just don't want to keep buying cable to experiment with.

Thanks.

I stand corrected.  25' is actually 7.5m long.  It's 20' that's about 6m.

I don't know there's any fixed maximum that I've seen stated, but my point was that if LIne 6 say that planet waves cable works, then you should really have no issues when using them (I bought a 25' and a 10' Planet Waves microphone cable to use.

Zpa's suggestion about checking the update status on the DT's is good.  Also check the output settings on your POD, as that determines what the different DT amps will output.  they don't all do the same thing by default, unless you change the settings on your POD.  hold the view button and scroll down with the 4 way directional pad, and you'll see what the DT's are set to output.

Cheers

Rowbi

by dschaaf on 2012-02-21 10:32:09

I too would be really interested in what Line6 has to say as I just went and bought a 15" Mogami AES/EBU cable for $48 and I am wondering if it is really going to be any different (or an improvement) over my present XLR cable? My XLR sounds great I just thought since the AES/EBU was the "recommended" choice that I should be using it.

Also to note: I have now tried the AES/EBU cable and for whatever reason I was getting some chirping from the amp...almost like a bird chirp. it happened randomly, maybe every 10-15 seconds. I switched back to my regular XLR cable and the chirping was gone....strange??

Thaks,

d.

by dagnabbit on 2012-07-05 18:52:36

I replied to another post about this- but has anyone wired up their own cable using either CAT5e or CAT6 cables?  The CAT5e specs fall well within AES requirements.  I'm going to wire up XLR-to-RJ45 adapters tonight, and then keep them and several lengths of CAT5e Ethernet computer cables in my gig bag- that way, I'm prepared for most situations when I play out on a gig.  The cable that I have with my HD500/DT50 rig is too short for some gigs.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.