These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Alternate tunings, sound bleed through
by sfeinstein on 2011-11-13 06:27:34

My question relates to the alternate tunings. I have a JTV69.  Here is an example of what is happening -- I am cabled into my amp (no speaker attached) with headphones, so there is no speaker attached for sound. I turn the tunings knob to Blues G. When I fingerpick ("Longer" by Fogelberg), I hear the alternate tuning Blues G sound loud(er), but the original string soft, in the background. All of this is in the headphones.

Shouldn't the piezo pickup only pickup the altered sound? What can I do to eliminate that string sound bleed through?

Thanks,

Steve Feinstein

new variax owner

Re: Alternate tunings, sound bleed through
by sfeinstein on 2011-11-13 06:57:10

Just FYI, I just refreshed my software to 1.71 (it was 1.70) and I still have the bleed through.

Thanks,

Steve Feinstein

new variax owner

RE: Alternate tunings, sound bleed through
by Line6Hugo on 2011-11-15 14:25:52

Is the standard tuning still being heard if you monitor through headphones or through an amp at loud volumes?

Just to verify, can you please provide us with a recording of the alternate tuning being used on your JTV guitar?

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by ozbadman on 2011-11-15 14:55:23

Every instance I have seen of this is simply hearing the sound from the original strings acoustically. Try cranking it up to see if you can still hear the original strings, or get heaphones that have a proper acoustic seal. As Hugo suggests, record what is coming directly out of the guitar and play that back and see if the original string is still there in the background. I suspect you will find that the sound is not there, but is merely you hearing the original string acoustically as you play.

Re: RE: Alternate tunings, sound bleed through
by stevekc on 2011-11-15 16:26:42

If you are using a POD HD500, try turning Variax "Channel 2" OFF.

See Advanced Guide page 2.4

Re: RE: Alternate tunings, sound bleed through
by sfeinstein on 2011-11-15 20:13:00

Thanks for responding Hugo. I am not using a POD or anything else. My signal goes from the 1/4" jack out direct to the amp.  I have cranked it up at a gig, but at the next gig I will ask some of my friends in the crowd what they hear.

I will be at our recording studio tomorrow and I will record the guitar direct into the system to see if its just the ambient sound, as you suggest, or something else. More to come.

by sfeinstein on 2011-11-16 20:35:22

Okie dokie, I recorded the sound directly out to the recording and it was perfect -- no double string tones, no ambient string sounds. I guess I just need to make the amp loud enough to cover the ambient string sounds, especially the high e. Thanks, all, for your thoughts and ideas.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.