These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Sonic Port / Mobile In

My two-day review, some observations, and a question or two
by Icewind on 2011-11-13 16:25:50

Ok, first I have to mention what many of you already know:  The Mobile In was available on store shelves as early as Thursday.  The Mobile Pod App wasn't available for the iPhone until late Friday.  The iPad version came several hours after that.  Not a huge deal, I suppose, though I would have thought they would have gotten the app finished and approved prior to shipping the only device that works with it...

As for the hardware itself, let me start with the packaging.  I do not think this is a new problem for Line 6, but when you open the box, the "Pilot's Handbook" is inside a sealed bag.  Here's what the seal on the bag says:

IMPORTANT!  By breaking this seal, you are agreeing to the terms of the end user license agreement that is located inside the Pilot's Handbook.  If you do not agree to the terms of the end user license agreement, do not break the seal and open this bag.

That's right.  You have to agree to the end user license agreement that's inside the sealed bag before you can open the sealed bag.  It boggles the mind.

The cable that comes with the Mobile In seems sturdy enough.  I've seen many 1/4"-1/8" guitar adapters of much lesser quality.  The Mobile In device itself clearly says "Made in China", but you wouldn't need this pointed out to you.  It's a cheap piece of plastic.  It doesn't stay seated well in either my months-old iPhone 4 or my iPad.  During play I constantly found myself having to reseat the thing because it kept edging its way out of the device.  If you have any but the slimmest case on your device, forget it.  The Mobile In requires the bottom of your device to be completely unobstructed.

The Mobile Pod app is great and includes a ton of amps/tones/effects and seems to have a direct connection to CustomTone, so the options are virtually endless.  It's a great app, provided, of course, that you're just going to do some headphone jamming or you're ok with using the headphone out on your phone to route to something else.  I say this because there's nothing else you can do with the software.  You can't record, you can't paste the audio somewhere else.  What you hear is what you get.  You can use the hardware to record to other CoreAudio apps (GarageBand, Meteor, etc.), but then you won't get any of the Line 6 modeling, of course. 

One glitch I noticed, but that I haven't been able to reproduce at will, is that the Mobile Pod tuner occasionally registers all my notes at a half-step below what they're actually tuned to.  For example, I play my E string and Mobile In's tuner thinks I'm playing an Eb.

In short, you can do the same things with the $40 iRig that you can do with the $80 Mobile In, though you do lose the stereo line in of the Mobile In.  What you gain, however, is the confidence that the thing isn't going to come unplugged at the slightest jostle.  I'm sorry to say that this is the first piece of Line 6 gear I've owned that's left me scratching my head in wonderment (not the good kind). 

I do have a couple of questions.  What is the LED on the device for?  (I haven't broken the seal on my Pilot's Handbook and it's not available online.)  I've seen it flash red when plugging the device in, but it always turns off again right away and doesn't came back on.  Also, what's the point of the volume pedal effect?   You can't actually do volume swells with it as far as I can tell.

Re: My two-day review, some observations, and a question or two
by Icewind on 2011-11-15 08:28:55

I can't unmark this as a question, but at this point my questions at the end are really just curiosity as I have returned the Mobile In.

I want to make it clear that I'm still a giant Line 6 fan, but due to the reasons listed the Mobile In just wasn't a good fit for me.

Thanks!

by markcsomers on 2011-11-15 13:51:14

Thanks for the input on my other post.  I decided to cancel the Mobile In before it shipped.  I ordered the Apogee Jam which also connects via the 30 pin connector and has great online reviews.  I plan to use it with Garage Band which recently became available for iPhones.

RE: My two-day review, some observations, and a question or two
by Line6Hugo on 2011-11-15 15:10:49

Icewind,

The light on the Mobile IN device is a clip light in case the signal being fed into the device is too hot.

Also, at this time there is no way to control the volume pedal effect within the signal chain.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

Re: RE: My two-day review, some observations, and a question or two
by Icewind on 2011-11-15 15:15:19

Line6Hugo wrote:

Icewind,

The light on the Mobile IN device is a clip light in case the signal being fed into the device is too hot.

Also, at this time there is no way to control the volume pedal effect within the signal chain.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

Ok.  Thanks for the info!

by babtanian on 2011-11-21 08:59:07

Agreed; frankly, I was very surprised by the lack of forethought in both the Mobile In hardware and the Mobile POD app. The Mobile In adapter is about as light-duty as it can possibly be, which isn't a huge deal because it's not necessarily intended to be utilized in punishing situations. The loose fit in the 30-pin dock and the inability to use it with even the thinnest cases is Busch League. It's indicative of almost zero R & D; very little forethought and evidently not much testing.

With just about every competitor offering a more full-featured app, i.e. recording, pitch alteration, iTunes integration, copy/paste, etc., the lack of these features in Mobile POD is puzzling to say the least. It's almost like Line 6 fell behind the power curve in this market and just threw something together, which is even more odd because computer-based, mobile recording and cutting-edge technology is definitely at the core of Line 6's game.

Line 6 has always been a leader in the amp modeling market, if not THE leader. They have developed a reputation of providing quality products at reasonable and attainable prices that have enhanced the guitar experience without question. That's why I have (3) Line 6 amps, (2) Line 6 wireless systems, (4) Line 6 floorboards, a UX2, POD Farm Platinum, etc, etc. I'm a huge advocate; I just don't get this one. The Mobile In and Mobile POD are substantially inferior to the competition and that's a position I have never seen Line 6 even come close to before.

I would expect that Line 6 will make vast improvements to the app through free software updates, which is great and something I can wait for. Not sure what I can do about the Mobile In though. You can't fix that through updates and I'm not sure what to do with it aside from returning it and waiting for the hopefully "much improved" mkII version.

by Icewind on 2011-11-21 09:05:23

babtanian wrote:

I would expect that Line 6 will make vast improvements to the app through free software updates, which is great and something I can wait for. Not sure what I can do about the Mobile In though. You can't fix that through updates and I'm not sure what to do with it aside from returning it and waiting for the hopefully "much improved" mkII version.

I'm hopeful--and at the same time CONCERNED--that they will do a "MkII" just like they did with the MIDI Mobilizer.  The MIDI Mobilizer 2 came out, I believe, well within a year of the first one.

by babtanian on 2011-11-21 09:17:51

Right. As a patron, you want to believe that the first release represents the company's absolute best effort at the time. A "MkII" should be representative of an entire host of improvements discovered over time; not to clean up a rushed release.

by juanmoulinho on 2011-11-24 12:19:41

Agree too! Man have I been fooled by my automatic expectation that both hardware and software would meet up to the Studio POD series and POD farm. For all you Bass players out there: no chance of getting any decent sound.

by babtanian on 2011-11-24 14:31:41

I don't think you've been fooled into that expectation. Line 6 routinely produces products of significant quality and reliability. Naturally, you would have no reason not to expect that in every release. That's what makes the company great and a formidable force in the industry. That's what makes this so dissappointing. I have every confidence that Line 6 will not only rectify the issues, but will eventually find themselves on top of the market with it. It's just a bummer that as a loyal patron, you're on the front lines and end up paying $80 for a sub-standard product that will soon be replaced by something superior; something that it should have been right out of the gate.

The Mobile POD app is free, so there's not much we can complain about there. Line 6 will update and improve it over time. It would be excellent to Line 6 honor their front line customers that purchased the Mobile In adapter with a complimentary improved version when it comes out.

by squeegy on 2011-11-24 21:10:28

I just picked up the mobile in last night and have not had any problems with it staying connected even with my apple bumper case on.  I had the irig and the ampkit link and the sound quality of the mobile in is by far superior to either.  I also own the io dock as well and again the mobile in sounds better.  I like the mobile in software, but wish it had distortion pedals like the ampkit software.  Mobile In hardware works great on ampkit and guitartone.  Both are high quality modelling apps that benefit from a high quality input. 

by juanmoulinho on 2011-11-25 14:14:49

nicely put my dear babtanian!

by Gstan on 2011-11-28 11:18:25

When trying to decide between this device and the Apogee my main question was whether it would do well with GarageBand. So far it is a failure, it craps out the plug icon so that it is un-responsive.

This is not well executed at all. Line 6 should either recall this product or offer us "beta testers" a free replacement if they intend to resolve the problems.

I bought this product to take along on a 3 day work related trip to fill up down time. This is my first foray into the Line 6 world. I have several friends who have various Line 6 devices, Pods, floor Pods, none of which made much of an impression. I have found a couple of rigs that give an acceptable result for the purpose at hand, but generally find things to be sterile and the latency gives me fits at times, seems to be worse with some rigs, perhaps because of the differences in the algorithms.

Looks like I'll be picking up the Apogee before my trip.

by babtanian on 2011-12-22 01:12:46

The Mobile In is not representative of Line 6 quality as a whole; it is the exception for whatever reason. Just about everything I have purchased and used from Line 6 has been of high quality. Possibly the Mobile In and Mobile POD product was rushed; that's about the only way I can explain the quality differential between it and just about everything else Line 6 offers.

The Apogee Jam is great and you can use it with several apps; just not Mobile POD unfortunately. I would rather see Line 6 add some features to the Mobile POD app, then charge for it to generate their revenue and open up the software to other digital interfaces.

by kylem on 2011-12-25 20:46:57

Huge line 6 fan...xtlive, then x3live and now an hd500. I. Also have a variax.  But wow was I disappointed to find that I cant play along with a song on the mobile in, I mean they do understand this rig is mostly for practice right?. Tones are great but so what. I have to run it into a mixer to play along, kinda takes the mobile out of mobile in.  Could use a few more effects. No phase?  What are they smokin.  Feel like I did when I bought the midi mobilizer to save tones to my x3 live only to find out it only worked with the xt live which I have moved away from and I think by then they no longer offered????  Come on. Great company, need to act like it.

by kylem on 2011-12-25 22:57:24

Ok. Found from other thread how to jam with a track. Strange way to do its but it works. Tones are great. How about adding iPod controls into the app;). Though I think mobile in needs some upgrades Im still a huge Line 6 fan.

by ronthedon on 2012-03-20 10:30:36

WOW! 

I did read this thread before ordering it thinking:  "it's Line6 it can't be THAT bad ..."

Well it's worse!

Honestly anybody thinkin' about buying this piece of .... DON'T.

I have been a fan of Line6 gear for the last 12 years having had quite a variety of Amps and Pods and always been happy with the products.  This thing however is the BIGGEST FAIL.  I can't even believe how Apple - the dudes that are so strict about allowing apps and products for their line of mobile products - agreed to have this thing associated with their gear!  It REALLY is that bad!

The issues:

- well yes it's cheap crappy plastic that costs 69Euros, but if it worked I could have lived with that

- getting the POD software to recognize the dongle is a HUUUUUUUGE pain, no matter how perfectly it is plugged in 9 outta ten u will have to quit and restart the app to get it recognized - and not just once!  honestly I have spend 15 minutes multiple times for it to be recognized before I could use it

- and even if, the iPad has to lay flat on the ground in order for the attached cable not to pull it out of the socket or mve it the slightest which will result in going back to trying to get it reconnected!

Don't even think about moving ur guitar!

- yes built in recording of rifs/kam sessions or quickly found ideas is a must for a mobile product, but no candy with this app

Anyways I will send it back unless I get some support and a fix to the issues.  Until then please do yourself a favor and DON'T BUY IT.  This thing feels like it's a fake Line6Product.

Oh and what about the retard that came up with the idea to seal the manual (including license agreement) with a sticker that says you agree to the license agreement INSIDE of the sealed bag by breaking the seal?!?!  That actually is ILLEGAL as there is no way of knowing what you are agreeing to. I'm very surprised nobody has taken the opportunity to take this to court and make some cash out of it ... lol

VERY unhappy and disappointed

by rayb24 on 2012-06-26 12:24:20

Ok, so I had IRIg which I just sold after 6 months use. I bought Mobile In to replace it. Whilst the Dongle connector could be better its not that bad and does fit with cases both with IPADs and Iphones. The Appogee is best but both really require you to have the IPAD or Iphone laying Flat so Mobile In is not that bad.

A little Flimsy maybe but its connecting using the 13 pin connector, which does mean better sound and definatley more volume! The Pod app is great, but and this is maybe not as well understood you can also use Ampkit, Amplitube, and Jamup so the recording situation can be dealt with that way. 

Line 6 have been slow to IPad and Smart Phone, but I'm happy with Mobile - In so far. I assume there will be upgrades to Mobile Pod and they will bridge the gaps.

The sound quality from my Mobile-in is so much better than IRig !  Thats across all the app's I mentioned. Mobile-In is a good start, not great but good and I was more disapointed with IRig quite honestly. Remember its input is via the audio in, so it has its limitations.

by gpetty on 2012-09-22 17:22:30

Wish I had read these reviews before I chance-encountered the Mobile In at the Apple Store today and took it home with me for use with my iPad2.   First, let me say that I've probably spent $3000 on Line6 gear -- Pod XT Live, HD500, and two Variaxes, and I specifically took the chance on the Mobile In without reading up on it first because I thought, "It's Line 6; should be top-quality!"

Well, my reaction to it is nearly identical to that of the OP.  I had to take my iPad out of its leather case for the first time since I bought to even attach the Mobile In in the first place, and it was then basically impossible to use it without the weight of the cord inexorably pulling it back out of the connector.  I'm thinking about using a large rubber band to hold it in place, but even the thought of needing to do that just screams, "shoddy!".  There should be a clip or clamp or something that helps secure it to the iPad

And I didn't even realize until I read the above review that I wouldn't be able to use the amp tones in a recording app like Garage Band.

All in all,  the first very serious disappointment I've experienced with Line 6 gear.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.