These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

line6 spider 4 gets muted
by ZholGoliath on 2011-11-14 19:32:17

I own my line 6 spider 4 since around a year now, im totally satisfied with everything about it, but this morning i turned it on and started playing, and the sound suddenly stopped coming out, first  i thought it could´ve been the pickups, but when i pressed any of the channel buttons the sound came back to normal, this has never happened before, but since this morning it happens every 5 to 10 minutes, gets muted, if i press a channel button, or select a different style from the main presets it works again perfectly for a while, until it happens again, so i know the speaker is working, the jacks are working, the guitar and the cables are perfect, so what can be the root of this problem? Thanks for your time and help!

Re: line6 spider 4 gets muted
by Rowbi on 2011-11-15 01:14:39

try moving all the knobs back and forth a few tumes on the Spider 4.  then press a channel button to reload a preset.  see if that helps.

basically if a pot becomes loose, the vibration from playing the amp can ever so slightly move the pot.  of course you know that the position of the pots is ignored when you load a preset/channel, and the saved settings in the preset take over... BUT if you move say the channel volume knob, then it'll affect the volume... SO... if the channel volume knob is parked at minimum, and while playing it moves slightly, then all of a sudden your volume goes to minimum...

So working the pots/kobs back and forth can clean any dirt in them, and leave them parked at 12 o'clock.  then if they move a bit at least you'll still have some volume.  if that is the issue and it keeps happening, you may need a faulty pot replaced, so contact your nearest L6 authorised service center: http://line6.com/service_centers/

justto clarify: the master volume and precense (pres is on the larger amps only), aren't saved in the presets/channels... those knobs are directly telling the amp what settings to use.

I hope this answers your question

Rowbi

RE: line6 spider 4 gets muted
by Line6david on 2011-11-15 10:12:56

Hi,

+1 to Rowbi, try parking the knobs all the way down while the amp is turned off. This will stop the knobs from moving while you are playing at moderate to high volumes.

If the muting continues, try a factory reset:

Hold down the A (or clean) button as you turn on the power and hold the button for 5-8 seconds.

If the amp still mutes, it needs to go to an authorized service center:

http://line6.com/service_centers/

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

Re: line6 spider 4 gets muted
by ZholGoliath on 2011-11-16 20:46:06

Thanks man, yes it makes sense since everything works fine, i´ll let know if something goes wrong, but after that day i never had the problem again. thanks for your time and help!

RE: line6 spider 4 gets muted
by Line6Don on 2011-11-21 10:41:38

Hey ZholGoliath,

Glad to hear that the suggestions worked for you, and you haven't had a problem since.

It has been at least 72 hours since we've heard from you. We're going to assume your question has been answered and close this thread. If you feel your question(s) have not been answered, or, if you have further questions, please feel free to re-open a support thread within our support community and we will answer your questions accordingly.

Thanks!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.