These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: GearBox

Help please. New to digital recording. Easiest way to record using GuitarPort/GearBox?
by Gandalf5150 on 2011-11-15 02:37:05

As I'm new to digital recording, I'm looking for suggestions as to what is the easiest/most suitable software fto use?

I have plenty recording analogue experience, si I understand basic recording requirements, but what is the easiest way to record from GearBox?

Do I need L6 software, would Cakewalk Guitar tracks be good, or will Audacity suffice? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Re: Help please. New to digital recording. Easiest way to record using GuitarPort/GearBox?
by fflbrgst on 2011-11-15 06:17:06

Audacity is very limited.

Have you tried Reaper?  It's free to try out and not expensive to register.  http://www.reaper.fm

Re: Help please. New to digital recording. Easiest way to record using GuitarPort/GearBox?
by Triryche on 2011-11-15 18:03:45

+1 to fflbrgst's suggestion to Reaper.

(Hope I don't confuse you, but here's by 2 cents)

IMHO it is one of the best bang for your buck DAW's currently availble.

(DAW = Digital Audio Workstation).

Just for clarification, you do not record with Gearbox per se, but with the Guitarport interface.

**Gearbox is just the graphical user interface for your Guitarport.

I think Reaper goes for $60 USD for a noncomercial license, and that includes upgrades thru Reaper 5.x (they are cirrently at 4.x). They also have a helpful forum.

If you try Reaper, to get started, in the audio preferences of Reaper select the Line6 ASIO device.

Arm a track for recording, and away you go!!

If you are in the market for an upgrade you might want to look into one of the newer POD Studio's (GX, UX1, UX2 KB37...). I mention this because the new POD Studio's come with POD Farm 2.5 stand alone and plug-in. If you don't already know, the POD Farm 2.5 plug-in is like having a virtual Guitarport in your DAW.

Long story short, imagine recording your dry guitar signal into your DAW while you monitor the wet. Then after recording you add a POD Farm FX chain. Now you can tweak to your heart's content, and even automate any parameter.  Since the recorded signal is dry, you can add whatever you want post processing and you don;t have to worry about nailing the perfect tone while trying to capture your thoughts. It really is a beautiful thing!!

Not sure what add-ons you may already have, but you can purchase a POD Farm 2.5 license for your GP. But a new POD Studio GX goes for ~ $99 which comes with PF 2.5

(**unless you have the Gearbox plug-in whichhas been replaced by POD Farm)

by Gandalf5150 on 2011-11-16 14:08:36

Cheers Triryche. POD Studio UX1 looks ideal. I will be going with that.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.