These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Sonic Port / Mobile In

30 pin extender needed when using Mobile In?
by markcsomers on 2011-11-15 08:42:33

I am looking forward to getting my Mobile In device that I ordered yesterday. 

Two questions: 

1.  Will I need a 30 pin extender/adapter in order to plug in the device if my iphone is in a case? 

2.  Will using an extender cause any problems (ie: latency) with using the program/device?

It looks from photos and videos that there is no space between the top of the Mobile In and the ipad/iphone when the device is plugged in.  Therefore, one will need to either use a 30 pin extender/adapter OR remove the iphone from the case when wanting to use the Mobile In device.

Thanks for the help!

Re: 30 pin extender needed when using Mobile In?
by Icewind on 2011-11-15 09:54:44

I can't answer #2, but the answer to #1 is almost certainly yes.  Any case that obstructs the bottom of your device will make it difficult--if not impossible--to seat the Mobile In.

by markcsomers on 2011-11-15 13:48:40

Based on comments on this site and in the App Store, I decided to cancel my order for the Mobile In and order the Apogee Jam.  I plan to use the Jam with Garage Band that recently became available as an app for iphones.  That said . . . I am a huge fan of Line 6 products and currently use the Pod HD500.   

by Line6Don on 2011-11-16 16:48:36

Hey markcsomers,

1: It depends on the case, however most cases should accomodate the Mobile In just fine. The connection is the size of the standard 30 pin connection. Where you could encounter a problem is if your case is rather thick around the dock connection. The Mobile In adpator fits just about flush against the bottom portion of the iDevice.

2: We have not seen any reporting cases of a extender causing problems, although as I mentioned above most cases will accomdate the Mobile In just fine without the need for a 30-pin dock extension cable.

by squeegy on 2011-11-25 17:58:13

I have the Apple bumper case and I do not need an extender.  I do have one that I use for a Bose dock and I tried it on the Mobile In.  The DockStubZ extender by CableJive worked fine if you did have a case with a thick bottom.  absolutely no change in sound or latency with it on.

by JeffValenta on 2011-11-26 00:04:17

that sounds like just what I need because the bottom of my case is too thick.

I notice that the DocStubZ extender has a mini-USB for charging while using the Mobile In.

I just want to know if charging it at the same time as using it with Mobile POD will damage the Mobile In?

thanks!

Jeff

by squeegy on 2011-11-26 08:19:05

I haven't had a chance to try it, but from info on cable jives web site, it is meant for when the dock you are connecting to can't supply power like those old fire wire docks.  my guess is that it woul d not hurt the mobile in hardware, but someone from line 6 might know more.  one thing I found when connecting mobile to your iPhone disrupts the iPhone from finding any network 3G or wifi.  it is best to go into airplane mode to save battery as it will continuely search for a network the whole time you are jamming.

by JeffValenta on 2011-12-05 08:20:18

Mobile In does work great as a digital in for certain programs. BUT, it won't support using any sort of 30-pin pass through extender, powered or unpowered. I've already spent over $50 in different extenders because I don't like the precarious way the Mobile In hangs off of the iPad. I intend to use the Mobile In and iPad for live performance as well. When plugging in any extender, then the Mobile In to the extender I always get "USB device not supported" message. Line6 needs to fix that.

by rperretta on 2011-12-10 10:34:55

Bad news  - I just got my Mobile In, hooked it up to my iPad2 and the connectioin is so intermittent as to be unuasable.  THe connector doesn't click in at all, even when the iPad2 is out of the case.  If you hold it just right with both hands, click your heels an dsay there's no place like home....  Well you know the story.  Looks like RMA time...

I RTFM'd just in case. No luck.

Anybody else have this problem?  I'm a long time Project Manager in the electronics Industry and I can't imagine that the product would have made it out of development without adequate design review in mechanical engineering and component qualofication. Did I get the bad one?  Would an extender fix it? - Less hassle than RMA. I just want to make music.

I'm thinking about Jeff's posting above as well. Even if it did work, it seems preacious. They should have used a cable.  If it was my project, that design wouldn't have left the factory. I've been a LIne 6 customer since AX212 but I may have to look elswhere on this one. Even the best stumble. Say it ain't so Line 6!

by JeffValenta on 2011-12-12 13:53:31

I'm pretty convinced Line6 knew ahead of time what would work and what wouldn't. If they had been upfront with that, it would have saved me over $50 and much frustration trying to improve the usefulness of the Mobile In.

IMHO I think they wanted to be first to market (or largest userbase to market) AND do it before the Holidays.

That being said, I did use my iPad and Mobile In/Mobile Pod for a gig over the weekend and people were blown away!

I bought a dremel tool and made the 30-pin opening bigger on my plastic x-clip on a mic stand. Worked great.

I love the technology, and I think with a bit more effort, Line6 could hit a homerun with this concept.

I'd have to believe that the processor in the iDevices is capable of handling the HD sounds/fx.

by RicW on 2011-12-21 06:47:28

I bought this dock extender and it works fine for both ipad 2 and iphone 4s.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004E7OOCK

by JeffValenta on 2011-12-22 10:09:55

cool, unfortunately I have an iPad1 and iPhone4 and no extenders are supported on either of these.

by RicW on 2011-12-27 06:36:21

Tried it with my sons iPad 1 today and works fine.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.