These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

NEW 1.4 PRESETS REVIEW
by Sean_Clarke on 2011-11-18 06:35:30

Kudos on the new presets! ust spent the day trying out the new pre-sets with my guitars (acoustic, electric and bass) and DT25: Great fun.

Presets are all down to individual taste, but here is my take…

Electric Guitar presets are much better (only been though best of so far), some great blues tones and much less cluttered, you can hear the amps, the air…Uber wet, tiny flight, slap happy blues etc…much better….

The Bass presets are good and record well, I love ‘Banana Bass’ and the synth bass stuff is aggressive and dirty. The acoustic stuff is good also, I got stuck for about an hour playing ‘Guilded Choir’. Miked Vocal also sounded good on my acoustic!

A few bread and butter vocal presets (I’m not selling my Vocalist Live just yet), great for vocal effects on Mike input and Guitar on ‘tother for a one man show.

The presets for my DT25 are great- I actually feature requested this (based on how bad you can make a DT25 sound if you don’t set the HD500 up right!) so I have to like this the most -  At least Guitar shops wont be able to put people off now with badly set up/wrongly configured demo’s!

What do you think?

Re: NEW 1.4 PRESETS REVIEW
by dellangelo on 2011-11-19 18:57:41

hey, i just did the 1.4 update through the line 6 monkey and opened the h500 edit software but i cannot find these new presets you are talking about. can you tell me where they are located like are they in an existing setlist or should there have been a new setlist conatining these presets after the update?

by silverhead on 2011-11-19 19:05:47

The firmware update does not replace the existing setlist names - but it does replace the presets in all setlists. So examine the presets in all setlists - you should find the new ones.

...that is presuming that you selected the option to replace presets (rather than retain originals) when you updated the firmware.

by dellangelo on 2011-11-19 19:36:25

before the update i made a bundle so i have my existing presets backed up. during the update when it asks to keep or delete my existing presets i pressed no so it could delete them and include the new presets in the update. after the update i only had the new presets and was missing my old ones so i opened my bundle but now it only shows my old presets. How can i get my old presets and the new presets to exist together in the setlists after the update?

by snooze12 on 2011-11-19 19:45:49

The patches for the DT25 sound very good. The Low Power mode patches sound great. As you said, the DT25 can sound very bad if the POD is not properly set. Now the patches seems to sound like if you are running directly into the DT25, maybe better!  That's a nice update!!!

by silverhead on 2011-11-19 21:00:23

You should save/load setlists, not bundles. A bundle includes all setlists and their presets. So if you saved the entire bundle and restored it then you replaced the entire group of factory setlists, including the new ones.

What you should do is load your old bundle then save the individual setlists. Then restore the v1.4 factory bundle, save the individual setlists from there, and then replace individual setlists with your previous setlists - keeping the new stuff that you want and replacing other stuff with your previous stuff.

by Sean_Clarke on 2011-11-20 09:12:25

I thought so, and the few patches for the dream rig (just add variax) make me want to jump on the JTV wagon ;-)

Making this stuff work together and sound good 'out of the box' will sell units. Presets sell synths, patches sell fx pedals! Lots to learn as we go along and hit the manual, but you can't beat the out of the box 'wow' factor, and the HD (and DT linked) didn't have it before without serious research and tweaking...all fixed now :-)

by MGblade on 2011-11-20 11:27:11

nice patches, aspecialy if you're new with modeling, very handy starting point.

it doesnt make sense why the low volume patches have full amp models do, the dt simulates a cranked power amp by it self in lvm, i like the sound of the normal dt patches much better in lvm, but thats personal taste i gues.

by dellangelo on 2011-11-20 18:23:20

thanks for the help. i got my old presets with the new ones by saving the setlists and opening them in the bundle with the new presets. Thanks again and all the presets sound better after the update.

by spaceatl on 2011-11-20 18:54:09

MGblade wrote:

...it doesnt make sense why the low volume patches have full amp models do, the dt simulates a cranked power amp by it self in lvm, ....

It makes sense to me...DT amplifier uses a FULL amp model in Low Power, PRE Model In Full Power...

When you are using the HD POD, the power amp color is coming from the FULL amp model, not the DT power amp in Low Power...You can certainly do it any way you prefer and that is always the correct way...

by MGblade on 2011-11-20 23:58:58

ok my mistake, thought it also fills the gap when line6 linked,

by snooze12 on 2011-11-21 05:00:46

I tought that the DT was there to manage the power amp section and the POD to manage the preamp. Meaning that POD would have to be set to preamp and the DT would manage the power amp section (tube distortion in full power and adding some DSP in low volume).   I should try it, but does the microphone modeling is working when you use the full amp model with the DT or it is always off when connected to the DT?

by MGblade on 2011-11-22 08:22:35

i believe mic modeling isn,t working in live ouput mode, only in studio direct mode

by snooze12 on 2011-11-22 10:16:22

Is Combo Power Amp is considered a Live mode? The manual say: Combo and Stack settings: Optimizes your tone for connecting to an external amplifier. The signal includes “Live” Cab Models,with no Mic Model or “AIR” convolution, with a special EQ curve added for each. Combo Power Amp & Stack Power Amp: For connecting to the power amp of a combo or head amp. So no precision for Combo Power Amp & Stack Power Amp. I could just try it to see if it affect the tone. Quick question: Why HD Edit software don't hide parameter who are not used? Or maybe just let them there but with a different color, so we can know they are not used depending of the mode we are?

by litesnsirens on 2011-11-23 10:30:37

When I saw all the same setlist names and then some familiar patch names I thought it was going to be just a few minor changes.  There are still a lot of unuseable patches, which I think are there to show off just how crazy you can get with effects etc.  That's fine, but this time through I've been finding a lot more patches that I actually like and would use in a live situation.  Does anyone know or can you tell if they have updated the patches that were already there?  Is it just maybe the impedence? I'm finding I'm liking even some of the patches that I passed over before. 

Anyway good job, there are actually a lot of great tones in there and I have found I can tweak some of those acoustic patches to use with the JTV acoustic sounds.  I think they may have been tweaked to work with a guitar amp (likely the DT series) because through my Bose L1 full range PA they are a little shrill.  I can just tweak the EQ and tame them down.  I'm loving the HD500 more by the day.  It's been about a year since I got it and I'm not Jonesing for a new piece of gear.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.