These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Firmware 1.4 made my HD500 sound even better, thank you line 6
by DeanDinosaur on 2011-11-20 03:55:52

I've done two things since the update, First: tried to make new patches utilizing the new input impedance section and I got great results, second I tried out my older patches and without anything they sounded even better than before. I was happy to begin with, without the update, but now with this latest update I'm literally stunned on how beautiful and responsive the HD sounds.

I know it's not a placebo effect because I know my patches very well and the way they improved to my ears is more noticeable in the highs, they are much better defined and any harshness can be tamed easier. Now with the input impedance I've managed to improve my old high gain patches by using lower settings to further tame the highs. Some of the patches where I use the Mid focus EQ sound and look good in a spectrum analyser to boot. In the clean side the Deluxe vibro is more stunning than before and every time I play that amp I think, that’s worth my $500 right there!

The whole unit is more inspiring to play now with the added responsiveness. I just put this thread up, to let those at line 6 who work on the HD know that I, like many others, appreciate their production of an affordable unit that rivals units up to five time its price and to let them know that their hard work is paying off and appreciated by many.  In time more people will realize that you don't have to spend a few Ks to get an amazing tone from a modeler.

Re: Firmware 1.4 made my HD500 sound even better, thank you line 6
by mmurph on 2011-11-20 07:52:42

I have to agree. I'm finding that the distortions seem a lot more realistic and the preamps are sounding warmer to me. At first, I thought it was just a placebo effect myself, but most things just seem to sound better. Something I didn't like was the sound of the Elektrik preamp model, but the truth is, I hadn't really used that one much prior to the update. I'm getting some of the fuzzes to sound better to my ears than they did before with single coils and overall the distortions just sound less harsh. The cleaner preamp models seem to have improved in a way I can't quite put my finger on- the "feel" seems to have improved in some way- more responsive and touch sensitive somehow. Things seem to improve quite a bit with each update.

by Chad_T on 2011-11-20 13:54:20

Things seem to overall sound better with 1.4 to me too.  I've only had my HD500 about 10 days, so maybe it is partially due to me getting more proficient with operating the unit, but it does indeed seem that I am able to dial in patches from scratch that are more pleasing to the ear and quicker to dial in.  I guess perhaps I should reload the prior firmware to make sure this isn't placebo or simply me being more proficient with the unit.  But probably not going to mess with doing that. 

by toneman2121 on 2011-11-20 15:37:06

+1

by Apologist on 2011-11-20 17:34:40

Same here definetly sounds and feels better playing ... than previous firmware

by maquinghen on 2011-11-21 09:05:12

Hey Apologist

thanks again for replying to my question yesterday.

Now i've re-updated the 1.4 firmware sucessfully.

Some preset have changed, so it has worked.

But I don't seem to find those GT acoustic and Mic presets you mentionned?

Can you help me on this? where r they???

And lastly would you happen to know if there is a discussion or a tutiorial about having one guitar and one mic seperated on 2 mono channels? I guess I will have to use dual tones and pan hard right and hard left?

Sorry to blast you with too many questions.

Peace

by maquinghen on 2011-11-21 09:27:44

Found them ;-)

they are in the dual tone section ;-)))))

ok another hour wasted...

by spaceatl on 2011-11-21 10:37:17

+1...A great fundemental update...I am finding it easier to get what I am looking for...

by ronnied50 on 2011-11-21 12:53:15

I agree this update is beast!

by DeanDinosaur on 2011-11-21 16:14:13

I just want to add that I suspect that line 6 releasing of this update without the accompanying Line 6 Edit indicates to me that this update is a prelude to another major update just around the corner probably due some of the complaining that's been going on.

I personally have no doubt that Line 6 will keep improving the HD even though in my book it's  a great product as is and it's worth every penny, but the MIC input is there and I can't imagine no further development to address that.  The hardware for Input impedance was there and now it's implemented so my attitude today is no different than day one when I bought into the HD line, get in on a terrific product "as is" today knowing very well that the hardworking gurus at line 6, will propel this product into a full fledged monster that when the product is fully realized in years to come, I can smile and look back and realize that I actually got the most out of this technology than any of the new adopters who will have  waited and waited until some inconsequential feature is finally  implemented.

by toneman2121 on 2011-11-21 16:54:11

it really is a good product...and it looks bad too

by Apologist on 2011-11-21 17:41:26

I think panning would be the only option but not sure. You have option to have two separate inputs listed but I have never done this so not sure if you could assign each input a separate amp and so on. I would assume you could but again have never done this.

by DeanDinosaur on 2011-11-21 18:28:03

Apologist wrote:

I think panning would be the only option but not sure. You have option to have two separate inputs listed but I have never done this so not sure if you could assign each input a separate amp and so on. I would assume you could but again have never done this.

Yes you can. In POD edit  your signal would look like this (see picture below), the top one is AMP A (Path A) and the Bottom is Path Path B.  this would be two discrete signal Paths and that's what you would use in case you have a mic for input 2 for path B, but it can be guitar also.  Additionally in this situation if you go to mixer  and mute either fader and pan center, you would get a single amp sound but the sound would be somewhat more focused than using other configeration or slightly different at least to my ears. There are so many options in the HD.

Picture.jpg

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.