These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD 500 : Still not a lot here about acoustic guitar and mic?
by maquinghen on 2011-11-20 17:34:04

Hey Guys

Thanks to the people taking the time to explain issues and stuff, It help so much for someone who is used to play on "real" gear (am old school you see)

But my back hurts after too many gigs with a fender twin 2 guitars and a bag full of pedals...

Just bought my hd 500, a bit of a head fuck but I am confident it will be great for getting good sound from my strat and telecaster....

Will be back soon here with some questions about that am sure ;-)

But I have simple one if you can help.

Does anyone uses the hd 500 to plug an acoustic guitar and a mic?

(Like in a small club/bar without an amp, having a guitar and a mic plugged in to the HD 500 straight to the mixer/PA)

I tried for a bit and got a bit desilutionned as I think the hd 500 is 100% for electric and the mic is just a gimmick.

If someone out here could give me few tips on how to make an accoustic and a Mic sound descent with the HD i would appreciate.

For guitar I use a Taylor + lr baggs M1A

and for mic a shure sm58 (as I understand it as to be a dynamic not a condenser)

Please help guys, just few guidelines...

Peace

Freddy

Re: HD 500 : Still not a lot here about acoustic guitar and mic?
by maquinghen on 2011-11-20 17:39:06

By the way I just upgraded to the firmware 1.4 and I heard that they kinda help with accoustic guitar and mic, but I can't see anything different in my hd 500 ;-(

by Apologist on 2011-11-20 17:53:32

If your Taylor comes with the baggs pickup system I would just plug direct into the HD using either regular direct in or xlr. Experiment with some of the preset sounds made specifically for Acoustics ..around banks 4 through 6 I  think ..some are quite good and dont require a great deal of tweaking to sound really good when going direct to PA.

If you have your heart set on micing up your acoustic or have no choice I would still use those presets made for acoustic/bass/vocals section and go through the acoustic patches as a starting point.

The reason you may hear a difference is the new firmware now allows for adjustments to input impedance I think the default is auto which is what I leave mine on and it sounds great but you can make custom settings for this and save it per patch.

by maquinghen on 2011-11-20 18:22:02

Thanks man

nice to have a reply here. ;-)

Only problem is that I updated to 1.4 (and it was successful)

But still can't see the "preset sounds made specifically for Acoustics" and "acoustic/bass/vocals section and go through the acoustic patches"

I heard of them but can't find them???

Looks like they improoved on that but If you could tell me where to find them it would be awsome.

All i have is best of 500, dual tones.....and the empty presets i am starting to fill up.

Can't see where those presets are.

Peace

and let me know if you have 2 minutes.

by silverhead on 2011-11-20 18:25:43

The presets are there but you may not notice them because the Setlist Names are not changed in a firmware update. Check out all the Setlists in the new firmware - you should see the presets you are missing.

..... of course this assumes that you opted to replace rather than retain existing presets during the firmware update..........

by maquinghen on 2011-11-20 18:43:53

hum that is tricky, thanks for taking the time...;-)

I can't remember I had the option about: overwritting some factory presets....

I will try to update again.

Thanks Silver

x

by maquinghen on 2011-11-20 19:05:43

hum

I really hope I can re-update the 1.4?

So far I can't bcuz of a poxy internet key who take both USB port space out of my Mac,

so I'll have to wait till tomorrow....-(

And sorry to bother you but you said "the Setlist Names are not changed in a firmware update"

But I found this guy on the forum saying (about 1.4):

"I love ‘Banana Bass’ and the synth bass stuff is aggressive and dirty. The acoustic stuff is good also, I got stuck for about an hour playing ‘Guilded Choir’. Miked Vocal also sounded good on my acoustic!"

So how come this guy has got the presets names???

Anyway Silver you are great

Be my friend lol

Again am new to this, but not dumb and I might ask you questions from time to time if you don't mind.

Good night ;-) (here in Europe)

x

by TheRealZap on 2011-11-20 19:14:05

preset names change without doing anything....

SETLIST names take extra steps to change...

so you can have the presets, under differently names setlists if you skipped the extra steps.

by maquinghen on 2011-11-21 08:40:35

Ok I re-updated successfuly 1.4

Thanks again for the tip ;-) really appreciate.

But for your knowlege the presets name do change too...

I now have to figure out which will sound best with my acoustic guitar and also with my sm58 mic.

And most of all how to have both mic and acoustic playing together on 2 mono channel.

If you know about a tutorial or a disscusion on this topic " pluging guitar plus a mic"

Please let me know, I have seen nothing so far.

Thanks again SH

by maquinghen on 2011-11-21 09:44:23

For all mongs like me,

The new 1.4 update "acoustic GT, Mic and bass" presets are to be found in the dual preset section!!!

And It looks like they have some ready made preset for acoustic+vocal already made.

Whaoo impressed, that was all I was asking for and here it comes with the new update ;-)

Now, why are the bass, acoustic and mic "only" preset, in this "dual tones" section is still a ?

Will try it later and give you a feed back.

Peace

by maquinghen on 2011-11-21 15:21:59

I am only writting here to update on the GT acoustic + Mic on the HD 500 and the new presets 1.4 firmware update. And this is for beginers only (sorry to bore advanced nerds)

(I am starting with this digital shit and got many tips on this forum from nice people, so I am also trying to help )

So recap, you can find the new 1.4 frimwar updated presets : bass, gt acoustic and mic;  under the dual tone preset.

But that is not all, a good thing for people like me who want to play with an acoustic and a mic straight into a mixer/pa/small bar type thing...is that there is a set of new preset called acoustic/vocal

Now don't get over excited only few of them will do the job, some of them have heavy distortion on an acoustic  guitar??? and stupid awful harmonizer on the vocal chanel, I guess Line 6 guys show us what "we" can do.

So not amazing but pretty handy in my position right now (am playing live Gt acoustic+ mic) in 3 days, and bought my hd 500 2 days ago...

Will try to give more tips in the next couple of days and let you know.

If anyone can guide me further please do, every thing helps at the mo.

Peace

FM

by maquinghen on 2011-11-25 03:38:49

OK update for those concerned

Just had a gig in a small club.

Taylor acoustic + lr baggs m1a

Shure sm58

I used the n*4 "acoustic/mic" preset in the "dual tone" preset list (I tweaked it a bit)

Set to line output, and went straight to the mixing desk.

Well it was ok, not mad, but ok.

Now a small problem:

for some reason my guitar and my voice ended up split in the P.A (mic on the left, gt on the right) even though both mono chanel were panned in the middle in the mixing desk.

We only had a limited amount of time so we tried the unbalanced output in 1/4" jack and it worked.

Would not use the Mic going through the hd500 (only for the loop effect- but not the lead vocal) if I play in a venue with a good desk (preamps) and a nice reverb. as I was not convinced by the sound coming out of the HD500.

Next I will try some of the guitar acoustic "only" presets

and keep updating

peace

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.