These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

MIDI Continuous Controllers / Footpedal control of effect parameters
by dadonaldd on 2011-11-21 06:45:11

OK, I found out that you can assign MIDI Continuous Controllers (volume or wah pedal type controller, etc.) to any editable parameter.

To get into the menu where you can assign a MIDI continuous controller to a parameter, make sure the cursor is pointing to the effect you want to control, then DOUBLE click the "Move" button. Choose the parameter you want to control with knob 1, set the expression pedal number with knob 2, and set the minimum and maximum values with knobs 3 and 4 respectively. Select the next parameter with knob 1, and repeat until done.

More than one effect can be controlled, and more than one parameter in each effect can be controlled by the same controller.

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Thanks, Line 6!!!

Re: MIDI Continuous Controllers / Footpedal control of effect parameters
by phil_m on 2011-11-21 06:55:25

You're correct. But just to clarify to limit potential confusion. What you're describing is assigning a parameter or paraters to be controlled by the expression pedal(s). The expression pedal(s) (or virtual expression pedal, really) can be controlled via MIDI. Though it can give you the same end result, it isn't really the same thing as every parameter being able to be controlled via MIDI. For one thing, you're limited to controlling two parameters independently at a time. You can, like you said, assign as many parameters to be controlled via the expression pedal as you want, though.

The only reason I'm making the clarification is that some people have mentioned that they'd like to be able to control each parameter independently via MIDI. That functionality isn't available now, and I doubt ever will be.

by dadonaldd on 2011-11-21 07:29:22

Huh?

by silverhead on 2011-11-21 08:02:15

As the title of your post indicates, you are talking only about midi CC control using the footpedal(s). And this is limited to a max of two footpedals, with the ability to control multiple params with the same pedal.

What I think phil_m may be pointing out is that:

- you can't control each parameter independently, nor all parameters simultaneously, using the footpedal approach.

- you can control lots of other things via midi using the footswitches rather than the expression pedal (e.g. patch changes, FX on/off, Looper, ...)

You may even be able to assign a specific parameter setting via footswitch - e.g. set Screamer Drive Level to X when I press FS1. I'm not sure about that, though, and I'm not near my devices to experiment.

by phil_m on 2011-11-21 08:11:30

Yeah, that's pretty much it. On the POD 2.0, for example, you each individual effect parameter had a dedicated MIDI CC associated with it, so each parameter could be controlled independently through an external MIDI controller. So when you have this type of control available, you can essentially control the entire device remotely. One could conceivably create a third-party editor. You can't do this on the HD series. That's all I'm saying.

by x-space on 2011-11-25 05:11:58

I'm planning to buy soon 500...

So is it possible to use each pedal of POD HD500 to send different MIDI CC commands by midi-cable (or over usb - for me it doesn't matter) to other software/hardware - to assign different CC's to POD's footswitches now with v1.4? I want to use hd500 sometimes as a MIDI controller for Ableton Live. In Ableton its very simply to assign different functions on CC's # with a MIDI Learn (for example from my midi keyboard controller M-Audio Axiom49), but is it possible with pod to send them? My Boss GT8 can't (only expression and Control pedals work as a CC commands)

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.