These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Looking for Amp for Pod HD 500.
by naruto177 on 2011-11-21 17:45:15

Im looking for a amp for my pod hd 500. I love the vox sound just creates the atmosphere and so beautiful. I want an affordable amp about $600 or less. I really want to go straight PA at my church but for some reason they always tell me go on amp or they set up one for me ahead of time. So I want a solid state amp or tube so I can bring it and play there. I always hear that solid state its great cause doesnt affect the POD's sound but I love the vox that a person at my church plays with his PRS but he has a $3,000 guitar and amp each and then analog pedals so I dont know if I can get a sound like that.

What would a be a great amp in my range to play in church in front of about 3,000 people but the amp will be mic'ed to PA instead of direct. I guess they never did that and not sure how it works i dont know.  Also if possible I want to buy a shure sm 58 mic and dont know if it will sound great through amp or need to buy PA for best results on that but wanted to throw that out there just incase. I dont like using mic on POD since a lot of patches full DSL and no more space to add any paths or and effects.

Here is what I like to have my amp:

$600 or less

Long term amp for years

Great Sound

I think return loop thing or whatever that you hook up POD on back of amp. Dont know exaclty what its called though. If its worth it on the amp

Thank you!

Re: Looking for Amp for Pod HD 500.
by silverhead on 2011-11-21 17:59:04

Since you would prefer to go direct to a PA, but your sound people insist on using a mic, here's a thought:

Buy your own portable PA system (well with your budget) or active monitor (again affordable) and go direct to it. Let the sound guys put a mic in front of your PA speaker(s) or monitor. That will do two things:

- demonstrate that they might just as well let you go direct into their PA; and

- let you use and go direct into your own PA/monitor at any other venue you want to play at, including your bedroom/basement.

Check this out with them first, though. They may refuse to think anything but old school and demand that you use an amp.

An amp solution might be to use a keyboard amp, which will provide the least tonal colouration, and use the PREAMP models in the Pod HD.

by naruto177 on 2011-11-21 18:04:27

Is there a way to knock 2 birds at once as in also for my guitar but maybe a mic hook up too. Will the keyboard amp allow me to hook up a sm 58 or need a pa for that? Can you send me a link on a PA system and keyboard amp. I dont really know what Im looking at and you guys know your stuff very well and im new to it. I would Highly appreciate it!

by silverhead on 2011-11-21 18:50:41

What would you be using the mic for?

A couple of portable PA systems are the Fender Passport and the Yamaha Stagepass.

Many people also use a powered extension cabinet like the Tech 21 Power Engine 60. It probably provides even less tone colouration than a keyboard amp.

You can google all of the above to get the details quickly.

by naruto177 on 2011-11-21 18:53:39

I wanna use the mic to sing on. And i will check it out!

Thanks

by silverhead on 2011-11-21 18:59:38

Well, you could use the HD500 Mic input and use a dual path preset - one for guitar and one for vocals (that's what I often do). But, yes, either of the above PA systems also have mic inputs. I have the Passport 300 and it provides phantom power for a condenser mic as well. But the onboard FX for vocals in the PA are less than in the HD500 so I tend to use it with a dynamic mic (which is better in a performance environment than condenser anyway).

But if I recall, you said many of your presets are already approaching the DSP limit so the HD500 MIC input probably isn't an option for you unless you really tone down your use of guitar FX.

But hey - don't be too hasty - nobody else has responded yet to your original question about an amp, so probably best to wait to hear other suggestions.

by naruto177 on 2011-11-21 19:11:59

Are the Fender pass port 150 pro pretty good too or quality drops a lot? I can weary about the mic later but kind of want a new amp or PA maybe for 400 or less. Looks like a tight christmas this time but if its worth saving for passport 300 I can maybe get it in couple of months but  i will see what people suggest.

by deanesque on 2011-11-21 19:41:31

I absoutley love my HD500 in the the FX return of my Fender Mustang III.  I like it way better than my FRFRs.  It's 100 watts into a neutral sounding Celestion.   And if the HD500 ever dies I plug into the front of the Mustang and still have killer tones.  $300

by jesuscares on 2011-11-21 19:50:48

The sound of HD 500 is great but some amps & PA's you use it through can be a major kill! I've used it in several churches with regret as it never sounded as good as my studio monitors.I even tried it on my v much loved line 6 spider valve & was not happy.(I now play on my L6 amp wherever I can carry it,without using a HD & it sounds great & super deafening though!).But about the HD500 I finally got an additional Studio speaker (with warranty!) & I carry it in a bag with me.I keep the volume low on it & mic it & there has been no issues with the HD tone sounding bad on the PA anymore! My best suggestion is get a powerful Studio Speaker & get a waraanty as they are pretty delicate for transport.You may want to get your own special mic too if that would help.

by naruto177 on 2011-11-21 19:55:41

What studio speaker do you have and how do you hook it up? POD HD 500---> speaker

or POD--->AMP---->speaker?

by jesuscares on 2011-11-21 21:36:38

Hi bro! Aint no need for amp when you have the best on the HD! In fact amps mess up the sound of the HD in my opinion.I go from guitar------>HD500------->Mackie MR5 studio speaker------Shure SM58 mic,which ends up bringing down heaven! MR5 is a low budget speaker but you can go for a better one that can handle more watts & bass.Make sure it is a studio speaker though.

Blessings.

by naruto177 on 2011-11-21 21:55:23

Awesome thanks!

by naruto177 on 2011-11-21 21:57:28

So far stuck on:

Keyboard amp

Stuido speaker
PA

Going to see what everyone else says tomorrow and determine where to go from there!

Thank you so much guys and please keep the comments coming

by jesuscares on 2011-11-21 23:20:53

I purchased a Roland KC 60 & it performs so bad on my POD.Just couldn't handle the power.However the biger KC's do better ,specially the 550.My Peavey keyboard amp is no good for a POD too.Does not match up to the headphone/Studio Speaker quality.

by naruto177 on 2011-11-22 07:24:00

If I can please have more suggestions I would aprecciate it

by daferalo on 2011-11-22 07:43:32

Well, this one is a little more expensive than you might want, but certainly it is worthy!! The atomic reactor series http://www.atomicamps.com/.These amps are specially designed to deal with modelers like POD series, taking full advantage of their benefits. They are kind of FRFR systems.

You can buy one active power amp cabinet, and you can use it to amplify your electric sounds, as well as acoustic and mic sounds. Moreover, for the price of one DT 50 212, you can buy two of them and have stereo capabilities!!!

This is not an ad at all!! peace

Best Regards,

Daf

by naruto177 on 2011-11-22 09:29:40

Ya I really do like that atomic reactor but out of my budget . I have a fender princeton 1966 and needs a lot of work and cant do it myself. I might plan on selling it to make some money to buy a amp, di marzio pickups and start saving for new guitar.

I heard the fender frontman 212r is great with PODs and even has a loop return and can get on maybe for about $240. If anyone has tried one of these or has if you can please tell me how it is I would be very grateful and I am very appreciative for everyones response in taking your time to help me

by spaceatl on 2011-11-22 10:15:23

I say get something like the Tech21 Power Engine for your POD....Should last years...and you could scale it to stereo by adding a second power engine later on...

SM58 is a great choice for a vocal mic

Not sure I am understanding what you are wanting to do vocally, but I would recomend something separate for that...If it is just for at home monitoring, there are all kinds of inexpensive options for that...

If you are performing where there is PA then likley you would only need to bring your vocal mic, PE (amplifier) and POD...maybe you only need the POD and mic in some cases where there are good monitors...Likely you would not need anything vocally other than your mic in that case...And it's a good sanitary practice to use your own vocal mic...

by wetredbox on 2011-11-22 12:43:53

that native instruments video on the Tech21 site sounds really good.  The orange model has always been an excellent model with them

by jimsreynolds on 2011-11-22 13:34:37

A few people have said good things about the Rocktron Velocity 300 Power amp (150W+150W Stereo or 300W Bridged).  Search the forum/web for references.    No personal experience though.

RE: Looking for Amp for Pod HD 500.
by Line6david on 2011-11-23 10:58:53

Hi,

+1 to all, great suggestions. I'm going to leave this thread open for a while to see if anyone else wants to chime in.

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

by pratikb on 2011-11-23 11:44:14

Why dont you try the Bugera Amps....All tube amps with price within your range.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2011-11-23 12:16:31

naruto177 wrote:

Im looking for a amp for my pod hd 500. I love the vox sound just creates the atmosphere and so beautiful. I want an affordable amp about $600 or less.

Here is what I like to have my amp:

$600 or less

Long term amp for years

Great Sound

I think return loop thing or whatever that you hook up POD on back of amp. Dont know exaclty what its called though. If its worth it on the amp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/vox-custom-ac15c1-15w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

Noeffects loop on this puppy, but still a great little tube amp for the long haul.  And you like Vox, right?  There's nothing wrong with running your POD into the front of the amp.  They make compensated output modes for that.

by talbotpat on 2011-11-23 15:18:16

I recently started playing club gigs and have played for years in churches going straight from PODs into the desk/mixing console.  If playing a larger venue and a preferred amp/mic live sound reinforcement situation, I am using a Peavey Classic 50/410 that I picked up used for around $500(US).  I mic this amp with a SM57 or SM58, using the HD500 into the power amp/LINE IN jack and get great live tone that really cuts through in a mix.  I have experimented with the 4 cable method and just using the HD500 as an effects processor minus the amp sims and that is also a very usable setup.  Using the Classic 50 via the LINE IN and using the amp modeling in the HD500, I can get any sound out there when reproducing the cover material in the P&W setting as well as in the pop/rock cover band setting. LOVE the Classic 50/410.  Was playing a solid state stereo amp before (CRATE) which was ok, but the HD500 rig really comes to life when using a tube amp.

As far as amplified speakers go, my band recently purchased a new QSC system with wood cabinets and they are fabulous.  If going on stage FRFR, I would probably opt for the K10s from QSC and go straight into them with the XLR's from the POD HD.

Pat

by jimsreynolds on 2011-11-24 04:11:46

No effects loop on this puppy, but still a great little tube amp for the long haul.  And you like Vox, right?  There's nothing wrong with running your POD into the front of the amp.  They make compensated output modes for that.

Not sure I can get behind that thinking Karl.  The front modes are acceptable if you have no other options but that is not the case here.   Nothing against the AC15 but it may not be the best choice as a companion for a modeller.  It has a distinct voicing of its own and this would not lend itself to emulation of other amps.

by spaceatl on 2011-11-24 10:08:27

I can see both sides of this...Some folks really like running through the front of a tube amp...I have heard that approach and can sound very very good...sure that might be seen by some as not conforming to the process to acheive a "realistic emulation"...But there is the practical side of the that approach in that you get a built-in global EQ...Again, I see both approaches as viable and I think it is a good exercise for a player to weigh those options for themselves...In the end, thier opinion is the only one that matters. The rest is acedemic...All approaches have weaknesses...

by cGil on 2011-11-24 14:27:36

Here's an option.  fleabay item #190604536617

Peavey Classic 50/50; it's truly the perfect modeler amp.  It's unusually hi-fi clean for a tube amp and won't color your tone like a guitar amp will.  If you need a backup pedalboard for your HD, I'd recommend some Tech21 Character Series pedals because they'll sound fabulous through this Peavey just as they all will going straight to the board. 

I've had my Peavey since the late 90's, and it's still running the same set of used tubes.  Needless to say, it's been reliable; but, Peavey still services these should it ever need it.   I take exception to the fleabay description of it sounding like a Mesa.  Unlike the Mesa's, this amp is nothing but headroom all the way to 9, and unlike the Mesa's, the Peavey has 20Hz-20kHz frequency response.  So it's wonderful with modelers; but it does require the "right" speaker.

For example, if you use stage monitors or just some home stereo speakers, it'll sound totally great with modelers as well as for vocals or just playing CD's or old vinyl records.  I typically use Mesa/Theil EV-12L guitar cabs; but those can be a bit boomy if you're using a model that's trying to pull off an emulation of an open back cab.  They are also lacking in the high end sparkle details that certain amp models should have as part of the signature tones.  A stage monitor would probably translate those best, and yet it'd do it even better with the smoothing nature of having run the signal through tubes.

Gil... 

by jimsreynolds on 2011-11-25 15:08:04

Nothing against 'Front' modes in Principle (I ran a competitor's multifx into the front of a Carvin XV112 for several years, using a 'front'-type output mode with eqs, and it worked just great).  Then I started running pedals directly into the Amp's power section and it was really so much better.   Each to their own but if you actively choose an amp without an FX Loop or Power amp in then you close down your options.  Right now, Naruto has options and would be better served keeping them open but choosing an amp that has a loop.  Again, if he likes the amp's preamp tone then with a loop he can choose to run a 4CM setup and exploit that.  Without an amp loop this is not an option.

Further, he Vox AC15 is not a great choice for the modelling role IMHO.   It has no negative feedback in the power amp and this means that it 'dirtyies up' very quickly (ref:  http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ac15.html).  Sounds great in itself but not a good power section to back up a modeller.  Really you are looking for clean with lots of headroom and that aint the AC15.

Fundamentally , Naruto was asking about a good companion for the HD and I just don't think that the AC15 is that amp.  Or an AC30 for the same reasons. 

by spaceatl on 2011-11-26 10:32:09

rock on Jim...

by Line6Tony on 2011-11-30 16:25:14

Hi. Since this question requires an opinion-based answer, we will mark this question answered. Feel free to post again to continue the conversation with other community members, but without marking it as a question. Marking the post as a question will lead it right back to Line 6 Support. Thanks!

by Loekito on 2011-12-02 13:03:03

Hope I'm not too late to join this party.. haha... For me... go with the PA. Try to look on Samson Xpedition 40i.. it's quite cheap, good sound quality, portable, have 2 instruments/mic inputs, 1 aux input and an ipod docking. And it also have built-in rechargeable battery, so you can run your PA without connecting it's power adaptor.

The other types, which is 40iw even have a bundled wireless mic on it.

Cheers,

Loek

by kyllina on 2011-12-26 12:19:30

Hope I'm not too late either...

I've been puzzeling over this one for the las 6 months, and I've come to a really good, cheap solution.  First of all, I own a JBL EON.  That was my first attempt.  Its a top of the line powered PA but it just doesn't do it.  The speakers aren't made to recreate an amp sound, and they don't.  The HD500 comes out sounding very digitized.

I happened on a solution a few days ago, so here it is:  I bought an old, cheap Flextone III amp in really good shape (less than $200).  You can find these cheap just about anywhere right now.  Run the HD500 FX out into the Flextone return and plug a dummy cable into the guitar input of the Flextone (otherwise the poweramp shuts off). There is no need to apply the 4 cable method, despite what you may have read elsewhere as this completely overrides the Flextone modeling circutry.  The HD500 will control 100%.  On the HD, you need to set both sides of the mixer to center (really only the right, but I do both).  Then turn off cabinet modeling for whatever patch you're using and you're ready to get some amazing sounds.  I've had tremendous success with the Vox AC models and all of the Fender models.  It sounds really authentic, especially the Fenders and the Vox.  Trust me on this...I was about ready to throw the HD in the trash before I came to this solution.  (note that I haven't tried any other methods than what I stated, so there may be something even better out there)

Oh, and you want the Line<-->Stomp swith set to Line.

It sounds GOOD!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.