These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

POD X3 Live and real amp, nasty and noisy tone
by ARockmez on 2011-11-21 20:59:44

Hello everybody:

I have a Pod X3 Live and a Marshall Valvestate 8080, i'm very happy with both of them but when i try to combine them my happiness goes away

I'm trying to use my Pod X3 Live effects with my Amp and i only have 2 cables so i do this connection:

My guitar----> Pod X3 Live Guitar Input ---->1/4 Inch Out (Pod) ---->Marshall Valvestate8080 FX Return

With this setting i expect to hear the Pod Output in my amp but even switching the Output config. i only got a noisy and useless tone and both of my cables are fine, because when i use the guitar straight to the amp i don't hear any noise and everything is OK but when i connect the Pod i hear a very nasty noise and it doesn't depend on the Noise Gate because even if i turn it on, the noise continues. My Marshall got 2 channels, clean and overdrive and using one of them the noise is the same, it doesn't matter wich one.

Greetings and thanks for helping me

Message was edited by: Line6Tony. No cursing allowed.

RE: POD X3 Live and real amp, nasty and noisy tone
by Line6david on 2011-11-22 09:50:22

Hi,

It sounds like you are connected properly. Is the X3 Live set to Amp or Line Level?

Is there a Mix control on the amp for the FX Loop?

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

Re: RE: POD X3 Live and real amp, nasty and noisy tone
by ARockmez on 2011-11-22 18:27:43

hi david:

i have set the X3 in Amp or Line Level and with both configs i got a noisy tone.
yes, the amp got a Mix control

Thanks for helping

by silverhead on 2011-11-23 05:10:36

Have you checked your Output Settings on the X3 for the 1/4" Live Outputs? They should be set to one of the LIVE settings - not Match Studio/Direct. Try Combo PwrAmp first.

by ARockmez on 2011-11-23 13:49:42

silverhead the noise is still there no matter what output setting i select

by silverhead on 2011-11-23 16:58:23

Have you tried the X3L with other amps, and had success? Is it only this amp that you are having trouble with?

by ARockmez on 2011-11-24 17:23:49

I have no more amps so i haven't tested the X3L with other amps, the only choice i have for the moment is PC (works fine with X3L) and a Vox Amplug (By the phone level input) but my interest is in my Valvestate

by Line6Tony on 2011-11-30 15:00:16

You're going to have to isolate one of the units to find where the problem lies.  To check the X3L outputs, connect it to the front of the amp. Try different output modes while connected. If you get noise there, it is really helpful if you can plug the X3L output into something else like a mixer or other amp to try to get the noise. If you get the noise, and the settings don't help, the X3L likely needs to visit a service center. If you can't connect your X3L with a friend's or store's amp, take the X3L out of the amp's fx loop and replace it with another FX unit. If you still get noise, the amp is the problem.

by helikyler on 2012-02-11 18:58:57

It is possible to have dual outputs (at the same time) with the Pod X3 Live with this scenario:

• 1/4" to amp with effects but WITHOUT amp modeling
  • XLR dirct to board with effects and WITH amp modeling

That way I can have my amp for stage sound and give the sound guys the ability to get a direct option as well?

If so, how is this accomplished?

by silverhead on 2012-02-12 07:06:20

You can use a Dual Tone preset. Set up both tones to be identical except for the amp model - use an amp in one (say Tone 1) and use no amp in the other (Tone 2). In the X3 Ouputs pages, use the XLR (Studio/Direct) outputs for your sound guys. Use Tone 1 here (Mute Tone 2). In the 1/4" Live Outputs select the Live Output mode that best suits your amp. Use Tone 2 here (Mute Tone 1).

See manual pages 6.2 and 6.3 for details on the Ouptut settings. See page 6.6 Mstvol for getting independent volume control over your amp, without affecting volume to the soundboard.

NOTE: Check out the details of the Live modes in the manual. If you just want to disable the cab/speaker/mic simulation but keep the amp model in the signal going to your amp then you won't need to use a dual tone preset - you can just use one Tone with your desired amp model.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.