These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Flextone I / II / III / Duoverb / HD147

Flextone III Volume Problem
by michaedr on 2011-11-23 05:11:48

I bought the flextone III XL new in 2007.  I haven't had any issues with it until this week.  I hadn't used it since July, but it has been in a conditioned space.  When I play the volume suddenly, dramatically drops.  Once I switch to a different patch the volume returns to normal. 

I have read some of the other posts here and it seems like this is a somewhat common issue.  Have there been any resolutions to this?  I tried resetting the unit, but that didn't work.  I am considering taking it to a service center, but don't want to waste the money if it can't be fixed.  Has anyone with this problem taken it to a service center?

Re: Flextone III Volume Problem
by michaedr on 2011-11-29 11:40:18

Found local repair shop, but he said that he stopped supporting Line 6 products about a year ago.  He gave me a couple of tips to try though.  He said to open up the unit and check the ribbon connections and make sure that they're clean.  He also said to plug and unplug the headphone jack about a dozen times.  I'm at work now.  I'll give it a try tonight.  Hopefully it'll be something that easy.

by michaedr on 2011-11-29 16:40:09

So I got home and took the amp apart.  Never taken one apart before.  It took me a little while to figure it out.  Once I had the componet box out, I disconnected all of the wiring cables and reconnected them snuggly.  I put it back together.  I used a guitar cord and quickly inserted it into the microphone jack about twenty times.

I turned the amp on, and I am happy to say that it worked as good as ever.  The volume cutting out issue completely disappeared.    Happy happy Joy joy!

by Kherman on 2012-02-26 06:43:01

Micheadr,

Now that it's been a few months.

Has this solution actually resolved the volume drop issue?

Or did it start up for you again?

by michaedr on 2012-02-27 05:58:20

I haven't had anymore issues with it.

Since this has happened, I read someone else's post from a while back suggesting the same thing.  He suggested as a preventive maintenance item doing it once a year.  He said that it's not uncommon from the vibration of the amp for the electrical connectors inside to come loose over time.  I'll probably start doing doing the same thing.  It only took about a half an hour to do it.  Now that I've done it once it should go quicker. 

If you're having the same issues, I recommend that you try it.  I don't take too long, and it worked for me. 

FYI: This may sound stupid, but make sure that the amp is unplugged while you work on it.

Good Luck.

by gtnapo on 2012-04-17 09:46:13

hey man...in the beginning hallow!:P....I have problems with the sound too...when i play the volume sometimes goes down or in the sounds with full gain sometimes gain drop to 2-3 (freaky psycho things:D)..and when im turnning the knob to choose a sound then the volume goes very high...Did u had the same problems or im alone in this situation?Any suggestions??(sory for my bad english...)))

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by michaedr on 2012-04-17 12:58:37

I didn't have any issues with volume swell or changes in the gain settings.  My flextone just started dropping drastically in volume. 

The only advice I can give you is what I posted above.  Cleaning and snuggly reconnnecting the ribbon connections.  It wasn't diffilcult and didn't take too much time.  I haven't had any issues with it since.  Good Luck!

by gtnapo on 2012-04-18 06:02:24

Michaedr thanks for your reply...i appreciate!!!!!!!!...but can you give me a "map" for this??I have the flextone 3 xl with 2 speakers..obviously i must DISCONNECT the cables in the speakers and clean them..then reconnnecting those 2 little cables right??Where esle must i clean in the amp???I dont know what compounds has this amp and where they end up to disconect and reconnect them for cleaning..Must i unscrew the "head" or this would be a mistake??Can you be a little more descriptive for the process??

My friend michaedr thanks again..god bless you!!!

by michaedr on 2012-04-19 07:35:04

I'm not around my amp right now, so I'll tell you what I can from memory.  You have to actually take out the component compartment out of the amp.  Unhook the wires to the speakers.  Note which wires are on the positive and negative connections so you can put them back in their proper place.  There are four large screws on top of the amp.  Take these out.  There are also screws on the top handle of the amp.  These need taken out too.  At this point, you should be able to take out the component compartment. 

Once you have the component compartment out of the amp, there are screws that you have to take out to get inside the box.  Remove all of the these screws.  Be careful opening the box.  I believe that there was a ribbon (looks like several wires bunched together) that connects a component board in the box to a component board that is on the lid of the box.  Disconnect the ribbon from the connection on the lid of the box.  At this point, I would suggest taking a picture of the box that way you have something to refer to while reconnecting wires.  Every ribbon in the box that is not hardwired or soldered should be disconnected, clean the contacts, and firmly reconnect it.  I don't remember there being a lot of these.  Only around 4 or so.  Put it all back together.  And hopefully this does the trick for you. 

A guy I talked to at a repair shop also just suggested that there could be an issue with a contact on the headphone jack that can do funky things to the amp.  Just take a guitar cord and put it in the headphone jack and pull it out several times.  Just throwing this out there, but I believe my issue was a loose connection in the amp.

Good luck!

by gtnapo on 2012-04-23 04:01:33

GOD BLESS U!!!!!!!!!YOU ARE A HOLY!!!!!!!!!!

SUPER SUPER THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by gtnapo on 2012-05-08 04:09:10

MICHAEDR one last question my friend..it was too easy to open the amp finally...but do u suggest me to use cleaning spray to the connections?this spray has speciallity to clean electric devices and in 5 minutes the liquid will be comletelly dry..i thought this because there are some places that i cant put my fingers in t clean...so whats your opinion about this??

sory for my bad english...thanks again..!!!

by michaedr on 2012-05-08 05:12:30

I don't see the harm in using a contact cleaner.  I wouldn't spray it right on the board though.  I would spray it on a rag and then clean the contacts.  Make sure you have leave the amp off for enough time for everything to completely dry.  Don't want to cause an accidental short on your board. 

by gtnapo on 2012-05-08 08:10:02

yes...but what about the plugs..i cant put my fingers or use a rag inside them..those little irons who looks like TV's scart doesnt give me space to clean..do u think its save to just spray inside?

by michaedr on 2012-05-08 08:38:54

It's really up to you.  I didn't clean the plugs on mine, but it couldn't hurt as long as you're 100% sure that it is dry before you turn it on.

by gtnapo on 2012-05-11 06:50:46

i used all this we skoped latelly...and....FINALLY WORKED!!!!

THANKS!!!!...I HOPE GOD KEEPING U SAFE!!!!cya...

by GuitarAddiction on 2012-05-16 12:31:59

Michaedr I had the same problem with my Flextone III Plus. Volume level would drop and then get loud without warning. I did the same thing, taking the component box out and making sure that all of the connections were snug and inserting a 1/4 inch jack into the headphone jack numerous times. Works like a champ. No more volume drop.

by hcaley on 2013-02-26 19:57:49

Has anyone tried the headphone jack plugging on it's own?  I'd had to take this thing apart if it's unnecessary.  I just tried the headphone plugging thing and I then played the amp for 1/2 hour and had no problems with the volume dropping out, whereas earlier at Guitar Center the guy got three volume dropouts in just 10 minutes.  Could it be that easy?

by Redtoppicker on 2013-03-01 12:30:37

I had the exact same problem with my Flextone lll XL. After reading y'all's posts I took it apart and cleaned all the ribbon connections. I actuall used some dental claening "brushes" with a little WD 40 sprayed on them to get into the female ends of the connections and bruh the males ends. I just played it abouit an hour with no issues. I'll gig it next weekend see what happens. Thanks y'all.

by Redtoppicker on 2013-03-10 10:49:06

OK guys. So I gigged with it this wekend Friday and Saturday and di notnoticed volume cganges. I guess (sure hope) It's fixed.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.