These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

When new Pod hd1000???
by gabrieleciullo on 2011-11-26 07:14:16

When a new Pod Hd with more power ???

Re: When new Pod hd1000???
by silverhead on 2011-11-26 07:23:31

It's already here. HD500 + HDPro = HD1000. HD500 is midi controller, HD Pro responds to HD500 FS and expression pedal.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-11-26 07:30:39

Who knows?

But you already have the ability to increase the power of a single POD HD500 or POD HD Pro, by adding a second unit and linking audio by S/PDIF (or analogue) whilst controlling the second unit from the first using MIDI control and by creating 'Big' patches by placing some of the DSP duties on the first unit and other DSP duties on the second (slave unit).   This does work.  I have an HD500 which I can use as the master POD and a POD HD Pro which I can use as the slave.  There's a number of ways this can be configured to increase the capabilities over just a single unit.

Two POD HD Pro units mounted in a single 4U rack can work as a single device with more power if you need it now

Nick

by gabrieleciullo on 2011-11-26 09:20:34

Ok, I thought the same solution (it's good also Poh HD500 + M13),  but it's much better a single pedalboard unit with more power and switches that carryng around a too much stuff (two pedalboards or pedalboard + heavy rack, audio cables,current cables,two power supplies ecc ecc...)!

by DeanDinosaur on 2011-11-26 09:39:04

Makes me wonder if DSP chip inside can be upgraded. the POD 1.0 had a chip update to bring it up to POD 2.0

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-11-26 10:02:25

I somehow doubt it. The HD500 has the main components soldered directly to the main board. I haven't looked inside the POD HD Pro but I'm guessing the same is true there also.

Nick

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-11-26 10:06:02

Yes I'd agree that a pedalboard and a rack unit would be ideal or a single pedalboard, however, the POD HD Pro is not at all heavy so two in a rack box would not be too weighty I'm sure ;)

Nick

by gabrieleciullo on 2011-11-27 02:22:47

Hi Nick, ok ...Pod HD PRO would be light without a power amp (in direct line applications)! But with a power amp it would be heavy!

It would  take a unique and indipendent system with more Dsp power.

A pod HD 1000!!!

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-11-27 02:46:02

True.... if you had it all in the same rack that is.  I'd be inclined to split it so that individual parts would be easier to carry on my own - OK it might take me two journeys to and from the car/van but my back will thank me ultimately.  The dual POD HD Pro units in one 4U rack case - pre-wired and then one or two DT-25/DT-50 heads and cabs.   

The HD1000 doesn't exist currently, and i agree it would be nice to have all that power in a single unit, but two HD Pro units are still a lot less cash than one Axe FX/Axe FX II and may be more than sufficient for most player's needs.

Nick

by hansvaneven on 2011-11-28 01:47:46

How about the editing ? I think it's really easier to edit one edit then to edit two racks, also not sure how this would be handled by HD Edit ?

I'm still thinking to buy a TC GForce to fine tune my HD500 and connect via spdif, but it would be so easy to have just one unit that does it all, and some better EQ's, it must be possibe ... 

by gabrieleciullo on 2011-11-28 03:49:06

Pod hd 500 with NI Guitar Rig (with audio USB connection and external midi connection) is a good solution, because Pod HD can control any Guitar Rig parameter via midi CC.

Line 6 should make an update to use MIDI with USB, to do all (Midi and Audio) with USB only, and the possibilty

to change the POD HD chain position of USB module, like other FX.

But a only unit with more power and possibilty (POD HD 1000), it would be the best!!!

Axe Fx are wonderful but it's uncomfortable and too expensive, cause it's needs a separate Midi pedalboard (so many units still).

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-11-28 07:58:00

hansvaneven wrote:

How about the editing ? I think it's really easier to edit one edit then to edit two racks, also not sure how this would be handled by HD Edit ?

I'm still thinking to buy a TC GForce to fine tune my HD500 and connect via spdif, but it would be so easy to have just one unit that does it all, and some better EQ's, it must be possibe ... 

That's a good point about the editing Hans.  I do sometimes have the editors open for HD500 and HD Pro at the same time with both connected and that doesn't present problems, but two devices of the same type might cause some fireworks maybe.  Hmmm.  I don't have two HD Pro units to test that but I do have access to two HD500 units which would probably react in the same way that two HD Pro units would, BUT TBH I am at home editing directly on the hardware so that is probably the way I would do it anyway, or if I had to use the editor, I could do it using two computers, however I can because I have computers at hand and that's because it's my day job - but not everyone has multiple computers to use.

The beauty of it is that you aren't restricted in this modular format to using another POD at all if you don't want to, but of course you can.

by hollis1003 on 2011-11-28 10:35:54

I think putting two POD HDs together is very problematic.  Just programming one is kind of a hassle.  You have to carry more stuff and you need to know how to do the midi and use SPIDF. I've programmed an All Access midi controller but I don't even know what SPIDF stands for. Line6 has done a good job at keeping the products moderately easy to use but giving a lot of tweaking ability.

What I really want is a bigger pedalboard with extra switches and an extra continuous controller (so I can use Volume, Wah, and Whammy all at once).  I think 8 switches are enough, but I want the 4 extra switches for presets.

A POD HD 1000 would really put Line6 in the area of the 11 rack and the Axe-fx (at least with features, people will still talk about the realism and number of amps).

You really need more processing power and you need to have twice as many amps.  I also feel they could add components like a built in wireless unit.  Another thing I think would be awesome would be to run the xlrs out of the POD instead of the DT-50/25 going direct to the board.  So the POD would have the modelling of the power amp, cab and mic.

by phil_m on 2011-11-28 10:46:05

So the POD would have the modelling of the power amp, cab and mic.

You're basically what the POD does now, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Certainly, Line 6 could build a bigger, more powerful POD. The question is whether there's the market to support it. Personally, I don't see a lot of people wanting to buy a huge pedalboard that costs $1000 or something.

I think Line 6 should continue to build on its biggest strengths - making stuff that a lot of people can afford and giving them a lot of bang for their buck. I think people need to accept the fact that most guitarists don't want something they can endless tweak and fiddle with. They want something that's easy to use and just works. As long as Line 6 continues making that kind of stuff, it will be successful.

by hollis1003 on 2011-11-28 11:03:19

Well, when I use the L6 link to my DT-50 I use the pre amp models with no cabinets.  I love the direct out on the DT-50 but the POD should be able to use the full model with cabs and mics directly out of the POD.

Also, the looper is a great function but I never use it.  Sure would be great to turn it off and use that processing power for other things.  Or.... be able to save loops.

I think Line 6 does play on it's strengths.  I just think that something a little bigger would be very cool and would sell.

Look at the Axe-Fx controller for $750.  People are going to buy that and it's just a controller. $700 to $900 would probably be a good price for a POD HD 1000 and it could be a midi controller with 2 expression pedals.

I like that Line6 makes stuff that's "easy to use and just works." but I would appreciate more features.  I'm not complaining by any means.  The POD HD 500 with DT-50 is the best rig I have ever used and I have gone through many in the last 25 years of playing.

by gabrieleciullo on 2011-11-28 11:24:26

Line 6 should meet the needs of all, from beginner to professional :

Pod hd 300, hd 400, hd 500, hd desktop,hd PRO, hd 1000 (like Axe fx) and hd 2000 (like Eventide)

by phil_m on 2011-11-28 11:35:48

I don't disagree, really. I just don't think that the complexity of a piece of gear determines whether or not it's considered "professional" or not. If I had to venture a guess, I'd bet that there are thousands more professionals using Line 6 stuff than the Axe FX.

by gabrieleciullo on 2011-11-28 12:12:52

Professional means having a tool  with more power and more possibility, I'm not talking about the ability to play an instrument!!!

Line 6 Vetta is a professional tool, Axe fx is professional, Eventide Eclipse is professional, Pod HD 500 is a wonderful toy but is not professional!

by TheRealZap on 2011-11-28 12:22:41

WRONG. you are clearly not qualified to make this assessment...

as there are a number of musicians using the HD500 and making money...

they are clearly professionals and did not elect you to speak on their behalf.

gabrieleciullo wrote:

500 is a wonderful toy but is not professional!

not to mention that the HD500 has plenty of power and possibility for most...

i even see some pros gigging with a guitar an amp and 2 pedals... or more/less

the hd500 is clearly capable of that....

perhaps you only work with ambient sci-fi layered sound effects professionals...

but sometimes... less is more... especially if the quality is there.

by phil_m on 2011-11-28 12:26:47

I still see POD 2.0s in professional rigs every now and then. Calling a piece of gear "professional" is almost meaningless, really. You'll see pros using all sorts of stuff. One thing you don't see too much of, though, is professionals depending solely on one piece of gear for their rig. Most pros have a collection of stuff that they like and know, and they know how to get the most out of it.

by spaceatl on 2011-11-28 13:30:52

A professional can execute his/her craft better than anyone else, even when he/she doesn't fell like doing it...IOW, People are professional...

The tools are not even relevant...The tool instantly becomes "professional" when the professional chooses to use it and it is only a professional tool during the scope of that usage. Matters not who makes it or what it is...

If Arron Rogers gave me the NFL football on his "Lambough Leap" after scoring a touchdown...That football is only a professional tool, while an NFL player, coach or ref is using it during a game...After the game in my backyard, it's just another football...That NFL football that Arron Rogers used in an NFL game is NOT going to help me throw like Arron Rogers...

just my opinion...

by litesnsirens on 2011-11-28 13:50:27

+1 to TheRealZap.  How can anyone make a statement like "professional means having a tool with more power and more possibility."  It's ridiculous!!!  As phil_m points out the term "pro" or "professional" is nothing more than marketing.  Even Line 6 falls into and uses this, what makes the HD Pro any more pro than the HD500??  It certainly can't be that hackers use the HD500 hundred while the true pros use the HDPro. 

Some professional players use nothing but a guitar and amp with no pedals, some maybe add a couple of pedals in the rig.  A lot of them just use a 30 or 50 watt amp because they love the tone. So does that mean that a 100 watt amp with modelling effects is more pro than what they are using because it has more power and more possibilities?  Anyone with a bunch of money can go out and buy a bunch of rack crap and a bigger stack of amps, it doesn't mean they are pro or have a pro rig.  A pro is someone who gets paid because they can show up and do the job and that's what I consider to be pro gear. A piece of gear I can count on it to do what I need it to do.  It has nothing to do with horsepower or bells and whistles.  Heck as a musician I can re-define what that gear is going to consist of based on my needs during a certain period of my life.  I can tell you I certainly don't buy it because it says pro on it, I try it out, if it sounds good and can do what I need it to do, I buy it.  I actually considered the HD300 and 400 because they were a little smaller footprint, in the end I opted for the HD500 because I liked the idea of the the effects routing flexibility and I wanted the Variax input so that I could run my variax without worrying about battery life.  That doesn't mean HD300 and 400 aren't pro, there's probably some kid out there getting better tone out of his HD300 than I get out of my HD500, it's subjective I know.  I'm actually really happy with the tones I'm getting I'm just pointing out the possibility.  Likewise I don't need to spend 4X the money on an Axe FX to get the tone I need.

Anyway I've rambled enough,  I just couldn't believe what I was reading here.   Probably should have just clicked on to the next thread... LOL.  But the forums are here so we can participate so there it is..

by hansvaneven on 2011-11-29 00:04:33

Thanks Nick, I didin't knew it was easy to switch from two units, curious about two identical units. I think the problem may be not exactly knowing which unit is doing what using the editor and so errors might be quite easy so, one big unit would indeed be a cool solution ... and I'm pretty sure that for 1000$ there might be more users then you can think of (even coming from other brands )

Hans

by gabrieleciullo on 2011-11-29 02:44:02

Careful guys, we're not understanding!!!

I'm not saying that the Pod HD 500 can not be used at the professional level.

I'm saying that in comparision with Axe Fx or other instruments (technically more powerful) the Pod Hd is a wonderful toy, but I know very well that the Pod HD works very well at professional level.

Santana with a tube screamer and an amp only plays on tour !

by gabrieleciullo on 2011-11-29 02:54:09

TheRealZap ha scritto:

WRONG. you are clearly not qualified to make this assessment...

Why???

Do you know me?

Who are you to tell me that I can not do a qualification, I can not say my thoughts?

by TheRealZap on 2011-11-29 03:42:12

i know you well enough from that statement alone to know that you don't know what you are talking about.

by TheRealZap on 2011-11-29 03:43:50

what does technically more powerful have to do with anything...

if santana only needs an amp and a pedal....

then the hd500 is technically morepowerful than santana...

i have on good authority that he's a professional.

by litesnsirens on 2011-11-29 04:52:23

I think we understood well enough.  But still by your logic a Marshall 50 watt amp head is a toy while the 100 watt head is "pro" becuase by comparison it is "technically more powerful."  Not to be-labour a point but things don't become pro or not pro by comparison to each other. 

Still now that I give it more thought, I can't really blame you for throwing the term around so loosely as a lot of people do, mostly people that work at music stores.  It's kind of become part of industry vernacular which as was pointed out is just marketing, so I can see how it would be easy to fall into the trap of throwing the term out there.

by gabrieleciullo on 2011-11-29 05:36:54

Ok, anything can be professional( if used in the right way!!!)

Believe I do not know?

Hereafter I will not use the "professional" as an adjective, but I will use " technically more powerful" ...ok?

by Mr_Arkadin on 2011-11-29 05:55:22

gabrieleciullo wrote:

Ok, anything can be professional.

Believe I do not know?

Hereafter I will not use the "professional" as an adjective, but I will use " technically more powerful" ...ok?

And will you also stop using the term "toy"?

by gabrieleciullo on 2011-11-29 06:03:03

No a toy, but a wonderful toy

by TheRealZap on 2011-11-29 06:27:13

you're only going to descredit everything else you have to say by insulting everyone here...

i mean you are obviously in a forum dedicated to this particular piece of equipment...

it's not a toy.

and you're not a pro.

or else i wouldn't have to tell you it wasn't a toy.

in fact the HD line integrated with a DT amp goes miles above what the pure modeling of an AXEFX is capable of... i mean the AXEFX is just a toy for rich kids... more dollars than sense and all that...

by gabrieleciullo on 2011-11-29 06:44:30

TheRealZap ha scritto:

you're only going to descredit everything else you have to say by insulting everyone here...

i mean you are obviously in a forum dedicated to this particular piece of equipment...

it's not a toy.

and you're not a pro.

or else i wouldn't have to tell you it wasn't a toy.

in fact the HD line integrated with a DT amp goes miles above what the pure modeling of an AXEFX is capable of... i mean the AXEFX is just a toy for rich kids... more dollars than sense and all that...

TheRealzZap you 're insulting me saying that I am not pro !!!

Are you a pro?Yes?

Bravo!

I'm not discrediting the Pod HD500 (I'm a user)

but compared to an Axe fx, it's a toy

by TheRealZap on 2011-11-29 06:55:10

no, gabriel i'm insulting you because you talk nonsense... no regard whatsoever as to whether you consider yourself a pro or not....

it's simply not a toy... you can repeat it as often as you like...

and you can compare it to any other gear in the world...

just because something "better" (in your opinion) exists does not make everything else a toy...

if we all followed your logic...

a porsche would be a toy because it's not a formula 1 car.

by daferalo on 2011-11-29 07:23:31

Hi friends, peace to all you guys!!! All of us are users of the same "TOOL" (whatever POD HD you might have), and I think All of us are able to do what we are looking for doing with that tool, some people more than others because of their experience and of their knowledge about the TOOL they are working with. Obviously, there are some guys who would like to have more possibilities from that tool (like me), but, in spite of that fact, there are a lot of excellent things that can be already done with it for the money we spent. So it is an excellent TOOL (for me it is the best word to describe it). Just remember to respect anyone else ideas, please!!! At least, All of us are musicians, so all of us are part of the same comunity!!!!

I think the term "professional" is a very subjective thing. For me it is something you feel you are totally comfortable or happy with it, because you are able to get what you are looking for. I do not consider myself as a professional, but I am very happy, as well as the public in my gigs, with what I do, and everyday I learn something new!!!!!

Best Regards,

Daf

by litesnsirens on 2011-11-29 07:51:13

99.9% of us on this thread could agree that the HD500 can be referred to as a "tool" a "modeller" an "effects unit" a "pedal board" and one guy thinks it's a nice toy.  A toy gun doesn't shoot real bullets so it's safe for kids to play with. So when someone suggests that the HD500 which a lot of use for gigging in real life is a toy, it's offensive. You're basically telling us it's good enough for us kids to use at our pretend gigs but when we grow up and start doing real gigs we'll need an Axe FX.  Which of course is not only offensive but ridiculous.  I cut gabrieleciullo some slack earlier for using the term "pro" loosely but it's kind of looking like he really believes this.

by gabrieleciullo on 2011-11-29 08:06:20

I apologize if I offended anybody, but I do no want to say "toy" as derogatory, but in a playful!!!

I love my Pod HD500 (gives me great satisfaction) but technically it has lower power that Axe fx.

Therefore I look forward to the new Pod HD1000!

by daferalo on 2011-11-29 08:08:55

Well, I can totally understand your point of view, and from your own words only, you are right!!!!!

But what I understand from Gabriel is just a comparison. Because it is a fact that the Axe Fx II is more powerful than the HD 500. Anyway, I do not need an Axe FX II, with the HD 500 I am very happy!!

Best Regards,

Daf

by gabrieleciullo on 2011-11-29 08:13:35

daferalo ha scritto:

Well, I can totally understand your point of view, and from your own words only, you are right!!!!!

But what I understand from Gabriel is just a comparison. Because it is a fact that the Axe Fx II is more powerful than the HD 500. Anyway, I do not need an Axe FX II, with the HD 500 I am very happy!!

Best Regards,

Daf

finally someone who understands me!

Peace!!!

by phil_m on 2011-11-29 08:19:06

Sometimes I think we all take this a bit too seriously. It's just guitar, folks... No need to fight over it.

In some ways, I think the notion of whether something is a tool or a toy is a even a false dichotomy. If I'm a wealthy tycoon and I go buy a Ferrari that's ten times more powerful and expensive than a Honda Accord, it's still a toy to me. Yes, it's more powerful, has more engineering and design behind it, but for my purposes, it's an expensive play thing. However, someone who depends on the Honda Accord to get back and forth from work everyday probably wouldn't call it a toy.

Just because someone has and uses an Axe FX doesn't make them any more professional than someone who uses an HD500. Actually, it could very well be the opposite. A lot of working musicians simply don't have $2000 - $3000 laying around to spend on a modeler, but people who do music as a hobby do.

by spaceatl on 2011-11-29 08:47:10

guitars...cars...footballs...I wish Line 6 would make me a sandwich...

by daferalo on 2011-11-29 08:50:09

+1 Spaceatl, guitars...cars....footballs...women AHHHH!!!! go ahead line 6!!

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-11-29 09:21:57

I'm on it space.  Was it ham, cheese and pickles?  Coming right up.....

by spaceatl on 2011-11-29 14:10:22

That would work....no mayo...on toasted panini...We are talking about a professional sandwich right? I mean one that looks like the picture...

by silverhead on 2011-11-29 14:48:36

You call that a sandwich?? Phhht.. might be fun to play with, but for a REAL sandwich you need at least roast beef and horseradish. And panini?? c'mon, man......... that's just pretend bread.

... on the other hand, if you put two of your sandwiches together and make a Dagwood, with different fillings in the second one........ well, now you're talkin'!!

by spaceatl on 2011-11-29 19:14:39

"It's people. Soylent Green is made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!"

I am a simple man...Just don't make my sandwich out of people, okay?

by TheRealZap on 2011-11-29 19:26:14

here's your sandwich

by spaceatl on 2011-11-29 19:51:38

Ha!

I'm Under & Over the HD being called a Toy...and now I can't get this song out of my head...Don't drive when you are listening to this...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.