These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

elektrik noise from within dt25 head
by MGblade on 2011-11-26 10:47:09

i have the dt25 for about a month now, and from the beginning on i`ve heard some elektrik noise, like a fly is being roasted inside the amp, when i power itup ,the sound dies after about 10 minutes, by the way, yesterday after band rehearsel the sound was still there.

at first i didn`t paid much attention to it, deu to the fact i was to stoked with the amp to worry abouth it.

but now i really like to know if this a normal thing for a tube amp, i have a marshall tube power amp that doesnt have that kind of noise.

monday i wil take it to the shop, but i like to know if there are guys with simular experience.

Re: elektrik noise from within dt25 head
by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-11-26 12:20:08

Hi

The noise could be due to a number of things.  Mine doesn't do this.

Does this happen in Standby or only when the Standby switch is in the ON position?

Does the sound also come through the speaker?

Can you see anything 'sparking' through the grille at the back of the amp?

Can you see smoke or smell burning?

My guess is that it's probably nothing too serious and it may be the mains transformer vibrating slightly until it warms up and things have expanded and tightened up to remove the source of the 'rattle', however if you are concerned about it - and I guess you are - then you should book it into a Line 6 Authorised Service Centre and get it checked out by a qualified technician.

Of course if you do see smoke or smell burning, then the problem is serious and you should get it checked out immediately.

Nick

by MGblade on 2011-11-26 12:51:38

Hi Nick

it happens in stby and in operating mode, the sound doesnt come through the speaker, no sparkling signs on the back, and no, no smoke or burning smells,

it,s not a rattling sound do, its clearly a classic elektrik buzzing/crakle sound, like when a fly gets trapped in those elektik fly catchers, (don't know the english name of those) it,s not verry loud do, standing 2 meters away from the amp you won,t hear it.When close to the amp the sound clearly comes from the left(back) near the power input, The amp itself operates perfectly no issues at all,

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-11-26 13:45:54

Try a different mains cable in case the one you have is not making a good connection (but I'm sure you would hear evidence of this through the speakers).

The fact it happens in standby too means it isn't HT circuit related

Nick

by MGblade on 2011-11-26 14:02:08

tried another cable, what do you mean with HT sicuit related???

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-11-27 01:53:18

HT = High Tension (or high voltage).  The HT circuit is switched off when the amp is in Standby so there's no signal.  the tubes are only being heated in Standby.   If the problem were HT circuit related then the Standby switch would need to be ON

by greghall on 2011-11-28 01:21:06

When I bought my DT25, the first one I tried had that same fault - slight buzzing noise coming from the back of the amp. Fortunately the shop were very helpful and had a few in stock, which I was able to compare (I actually tried 4 different ones). The noise isn't there on the amp I ended up with.

I'd return it for an exchange.

by MGblade on 2011-11-28 01:26:26

for the last 2 days now the noise is gone, i found out the noise apears when i put pressure on the power on switch.

if the noise apears again i wil take it back

by MGblade on 2012-03-26 04:21:19

i found the seloution to the problem, after bringing it back to the store, line 6 service centre gave the store permision to fix the problem them selves, got it back two days later, and for a week the noise was gone, but then it appeared again, i took the amp out of the head to check where the sound was comming from, by accident i saw that 2 of the 4 transformer ( the one near the power cable) screws where a bit loose, i tightened them and gone was the noise, it never apeared again,

maybe others have the same problem, this might be the solution.

grts Marcel

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.