These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

PC alerts coming through the HD500? LOUD!
by Sabicas on 2011-11-26 11:01:55

Ok, I just got the HD500.  Everything seems to be working fine.  However, when the HD EDIT software occasionally pops up an alert for whatever reason, the alert sound is blasted through my amp that is directly connected to the HD500.  This happens despite my laptop audio being muted.    I thought the USB audio was "one-way" from the POD to the PC.

Why is it doing this and how do I fix it? 

Re: PC alerts coming through the HD500? LOUD!
by DeanDinosaur on 2011-11-26 11:09:00

Go to Control Panel In you PC and look at the audio option. The playback option is probably set to POD HD500. change it to your other sound card and it should be fine.

by spaceatl on 2011-11-26 11:09:08

When you hook up the POD via USB it becomes your sound card...Your laptop audio card is disabled since you can only have one soundcard on at a one time...Go to the control panel sounds applet and change the sound scheme to the No Sounds scheme...

by BigChas52 on 2011-11-26 11:09:34

The HD500 will also act as a sound card for your PC.  In order to change this go into your PC's control panel and go to the "Sound" section.  Make sure that your PC is set as the default sound device.

by Sabicas on 2011-11-26 11:16:19

I figured it was something simple.  Thanks, guys!

by Sabicas on 2011-12-03 13:59:17

This solution worked in Windows 7, but not in XP.  I have two laptops and the one with XP doesn't seem to have any settings that allow me to choose the HD500 or the internal sound card.  Any suggestions?

by silverhead on 2011-12-03 15:41:12

Look more carefully for the settings in XP - they are there. You can definitely select your soundcard. Use the HELP files in XP if necessary.

This might also help:

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-1452

by Sabicas on 2011-12-03 17:30:46

yeah, there's a choice.  there's a select box that has my internal sound card and the HD500.  My sound card is selected but it makes no difference whatsover.  Yes, I've hit "apply".  The HD500 is the soundcard unless I unplug it from the USB port. 

by silverhead on 2011-12-03 18:52:31

Have you tried spaceatls's suggestion in response #2 above?

by Sabicas on 2011-12-04 10:19:18

yes, I have it set to "No Sounds".  Next suggestion? 

by Christafa on 2011-12-24 01:00:53

Hey man. I've had success with XP.

I know you've tried all the solutions, and I'm going to outline EXACTLY what I did. BUT, before I do that, I want to mention something very important.

When you have the HD500 plugged in via USB, it becomes the sound card. Yes, we all know this. Say I have a particular application open, for example Firefox, and I'm watching Youtube while the HD500 is the sound card, if I suddenly unplug the HD500 so the default PC sound card is then selected, the audio won't be heard. That application, in this case being Firefox, needs to be restarted. It is because the application still wants to use the HD500 for some reason.

This is also the case when I have Audacity open. In case you don't know, Audacity is a basic music production/recording application. If I'm happily recording my guitar with the HD500 as the soundcard, and then unplug the HD500, I literally have to restart Audacity in order for the default sound card to start working.

I'm yet to find a solution to having to restart my applications all the time.

ANYWAY. To my solution to changing the sound card:

"Start" > "Control Panel" > "Sounds and Audio Devices" > "Audio" > under "Sound playback", in the drop down box below "Default device:", I select whatever is my default sound card, in my case "Realtek HD Audio output".

Be careful here. My PC lists 6 different devices that could become the sound card. If you're unsure, check this before you even plug in the HD500.

Bam, done. Solved. At least for me anyway.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.