These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Pod Farm 2.5 Licensing - Diff Between ilok and Device Independent?
by Hydrophish on 2011-11-28 00:46:05

I'm getting ready to ditch my old Toneport ux2 USB 1.1 interface for something with less latency and pops and clicks (already done all the optimization steps).  I have a cross grade offer for Pod Farm 2.5 Platinum and am trying to decide between the Device Independent license and the ilok one.  To my mind that's what ilok is, a portable license you can move between DAWs and use with any interface device.  Aside from the added cost of purchasing an ilok device, what's the difference between these two licenses?  Couldn't I get the same benefit from putting my license key in the cloud (or line 6 Monkey for that matter) and using it from any computer I'm on at the moment?  I tried to look for an explanation of these two models on the line 6 site as well as the forums, but couldn't.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-phish

Re: Pod Farm 2.5 Licensing - Diff Between ilok and Device Independent?
by TheRealZap on 2011-11-28 03:59:04

one big difference.. i'd say skip the ilok version....

but that difference is that the ilok version can't use model packs... its standard or platinum only....

by silverhead on 2011-11-28 05:46:36

Hydrophish wrote:

...  To my mind that's what ilok is, a portable license you can move between DAWs and use with any interface device. 

Yes, it is. And so is the Device Independent license. In the latter case, you use the Line 6 License Manager to authorize your license on a number of computers and you can run Pod Farm on all of these computers using any ASIO audio device - not necessarily a Line 6 hardware device.

So to compare the two from a hardware perspective, the iLok license requires three hardware components: your computer, an audio device, and the iLok device. The Device Independent license means you only need two components - you don't need the iLok device.

by Hydrophish on 2011-11-28 11:20:45

Thanks for the explanations - seems there is no real value in using the ilok device.  So I'll go for the device independent license.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.