These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Spider IV 75w sound question
by firemanjerry on 2011-11-29 08:58:06

I have a Spider IV 75w, purchased new about a year ago, starting to get into using it and editing etc with my shortboard.  I play a Schecter C-1 Classic with Seymour Duncans and my main guitar right now is a Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX with Dirty Fingers HB's.  Both of my axes on a majority of the settings in my amp sound bassy/muffled.  I can't seem to get it brite and clear even on bridge pickup.  I suspect half the problem is the type of PU's I have on both axes but it seems to be excessive to me especially since I have been gigging for the past year using my 75w SpiderJam and it sounds just fine.  Has anyone else encounted this problem/condition?  I have used Spider IV edit "on the fly" to try to "clean" up the sound with now success, I play in a band that plays Old and New Country, Rockabilly, Classic Rock and Rock so I need a pretty wide range of sounds which was the reason for the Spider IV and Shortboard to begin with.  Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Re: Spider IV 75w sound question
by fflbrgst on 2011-11-30 05:59:04

When you say you have tried Spider IV edit 'on the fly' - do you mean you are adjusting the tone parameters on your computer in Spider Edit?  Do you notice any difference in sound when doing this?  Have you tried turning the gain/drive, bass and midrange down, treble up?

How about adjusting the amp controls themselves while plugged in -notice any difference in the tone?

Using a 72 Tele and a few-years old Epiphone Dot I get great country/twangy sounds from my Spider 75, but my Epi LP Jr and ESP LTD  50 just can't make the same sounds.

Re: Spider IV 75w sound question
by Line6Hugo on 2011-12-02 16:35:52

+1 to fflbrgst's suggestions.

Also, the Spider IV series has more low end than the previous Spider series.  Do other guitars with different pickups, such as single coils produce the same sound?  Please let us know if you continue to have problems.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.