These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Line 6 Spider IV (30W) used for bass.......
by usageoff on 2011-12-05 22:01:14

Hi all, First timer, I have a Schector bass with active pickups. Knowing the amp & speaker of the Spider IV is made for guitar, if it was replaced with a suitable bass speaker do you think it would be suitable for home use? Thanks

Re: Line 6 Spider IV (30W) used for bass.......
by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-12-06 01:32:03

Hi

It should work with a speaker intended for use with bass.  Whether the tones you get will be suitable or not I couldn't say, but for practice purposes it should be OK at the very least is you use clean settings.   If your amp is less than 12 months old, you may invalidate your warranty by swapping the speaker out, however provided you take care when removing and replacing the existing speaker and you use a replacement speaker of the correct impedance and power handling and don't cause any damage then it usually doesn't present problems.    When using the amp, personally, like any solid state amp, I would probably not try to run it with the volume turned up full for any prolonged length of time - this is true if I were using the amp for guitar too.  Used sensibly you should not have any problems.

Nick

by fflbrgst on 2011-12-06 08:46:39

Before swapping out a speaker, try listening to the bass into the amp using the headphones/DI output.  I have done this with my Spider IV 75.  Some of the FX (specifically the time-based ones) do not lend themselves to bass tones, and you will not get much low end from the amp, either (not sure what the frequency range specs are).

by Line6david on 2011-12-09 15:29:32

+ 1 to Nick and fflbrgst,

While you probably won't cause any damage to the amp some of the effects on the Spider IV are not meant to be used with bass.

Overall, I have had a bit of success in the past using guitar amps for "gritty" bass sounds but you will not be able to the same low end response out of any guitar combo that you can out of a bass rig.

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

by sebastiankeil on 2012-08-04 05:22:54

ok,

what if I just use the Spider IV 75 with a bass guitar. Do I play out the speakers definetely? Or does it just sound not as good as it would with a bass amp?

Thanks.

(bought the amp 3 months ago, originally for guitar of course).

sebastian

by fflbrgst on 2012-08-06 05:12:07

You are not going to get as good a sound as you would with an amp designed for bass use.  This is true when using ANY guitar amp for bass, not just the Spider.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.