These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Pod hd500 for vocals
by hamza4best on 2011-12-06 06:54:01

Hey i'm thinking of buying the pod hd500 and i saw that it has a mic plug in too so i can do vocals with it as well..Now i practice and jam with my friends so is it possible to connect it to my amp(spider 4 15w) and use it for guitar and vocals at the same time? i mean can i assign effects for guitar and vocals separately at the same time? and will i be able to do distorted vocals with it? and lastly all the effects which are there in the pod for guitar can they all be used for vocals too?

cheers

Re: Pod hd500 for vocals
by BigChas52 on 2011-12-06 07:01:01

All of the effects are available for vocals.  You can also create twop separate channels.  Note that there are no vocal pre-amps though, so for your vocal "channel" you'll use effects only.  Also note that the HD500 has a hard limit of 8 effects for both channels combined.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-12-06 07:03:14

+1 to BigChas

by hamza4best on 2011-12-06 08:48:00

can you explain me what does the vocal preamp helps to do because i'm a beginner at these things so it would help a lot and secondly can i get a distorted vocal sound similar to matt bellamy?                                                                     

by hamza4best on 2011-12-06 09:28:46

and also it will sound ok through my amp both the vocals and guitar for band practices?

by borehead on 2011-12-06 09:55:52

I would NOT recommend you to use both guitar and vocals in the same amp.

Try to create a separate channels for the guitar and the vocals, and send the left channel to your amp (for guitar) and the right to the PA (for vocals).

Remember though, as you switch patches for your guitar tones, the vocal sound also will change.

by hamza4best on 2011-12-07 01:47:15

I don't have a pa yet so would i get ok sound through the amp for both the guitar and vocals?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-12-07 01:48:48

Yes you can get vocal sound through your guitar amp.  It probably won't sound as good as it could given that it's a guitar amp, but yes it should work to a degree.

Nick

by hamza4best on 2011-12-07 02:25:33

and will it be good for distorted vocals the pod? and can someone explain me how will i setup the pod for this?

by hamza4best on 2011-12-07 08:22:49

also can you explain me what does the vocal preamp helps to do because i'm a beginner at these things so it would help a lot and secondly can i get a distorted vocal sound similar to matt bellamy?                                                                    

by hamza4best on 2011-12-08 02:13:24

anyone?

by hamza4best on 2011-12-08 02:15:49

can you explain me what does the vocal preamp helps to do because i'm a beginner at these things so it would help a lot and secondly can i get a distorted vocal sound similar to matt bellamy?                     

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-12-08 02:27:37

There is no vocal pre-amp as such, by which I mean there is no amp or pre-amp model for vocals.   The XLR microphone input does have a basic pre-amplifier built in just to get a decent level with a microphone, but that's it.  You can use all the FX and any of the guitar amp models with a microphone if you wish.

Can you get a distorted vocal sound?  Yes, by using the distortoion FX.  Will it sound like Matt Bellamy's distorted vocal sound?  Maybe and maybe not.  You will have to experiment.

Nick

by hamza4best on 2011-12-08 02:53:33

will be ok for small gigs and if i just use my amp for the vocals and guitar? and can you tell me how will i setup the pod for this?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-12-08 03:07:22

You will have to try it, but personally i would say it could be OK for rehearsal depending on the amp you use, but for gigs????  Hmmmm.... I wouldn't really think it suitable, but as I say you will have to try it.

How to set it up?  Create a patch with two clear signal paths and with the inputs assigned as follows:  Input Source 1: Guitar and Input Source 2: Mic.

The easiest way to show you is to send you an example patch (attached).  Load it into HD500 Edit and take a look.  It's just an example. Don't take too much notice of the actual amp model and FX I've used, but pay attention to the Input assignments and how I've split the signal chains with the Mixer block right at the end.  I've panned the outputs hard left and right, which will be mixed to mono if you use one 1/42 output only to feed your amp.   Notice I've boosted the Right channel in the Mixer by 10dB to raise the level of the mic.  I have no idea whether this is too much or too little as I have just done this as an exercise in POD HD500 Edit alone.  You may find that adding some EQ in the mic channel will help as well as perhaps adding some compression.  That's all going to be up to you

Nick

by hamza4best on 2011-12-08 03:43:14

my amp is spider 4 15w so any idea how will it sound?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-12-08 04:49:01

It will not be loud enough for a gig with a live drummer, bass player and other instrumentalists I'm certain. 

You will need to connect the outputs from your POD to the CD/MP3 input of the Spider IV15.  In all honesty it should sound OK for guitar at home using the POD as the front end, but for vocals I really don't think it will be good for more than getting a guide.  The Spider IV 15w is more of a practice amp to be used in a domestic environment IMO.   I think if you want to use your POD HD500 properly then a more powerful system, whether that be just a PA system through which you can put the POD and vocals separately, or whether it be a bigger guitar amplifier plus PA would be worth looking into.

Nick

by hamza4best on 2011-12-08 06:06:30

ok but for now i just want it for practice and to play along backing tracks will it be enough for that?...and is there any other cheaper solution than getting the pa? or how much does a cheaper pa cost? and can it work in this order that first i connect the guitar to the pod then the cable i use for pluging the guitar into the amp to the pod and then to the guitar plugin on the amp? and just set the amp to neutral state by pressing the tap button as i switch on the amp so the amp modelling gets disabled?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-12-08 07:09:50

It should be OK for home practice and playing along with backing tracks.

As for a PA - they come in all shapes, sizes and prices.

You can set your amp to a clean state.  I don't know whether the Tap button trick works on the Spider IV15.  You'll have to try it

by hamza4best on 2011-12-08 08:05:09

i've tried it works it goes into a  clean state and disables the amp modelling so how should i connect my pod and guitar with the amp?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-12-08 08:56:28

1/4" out from the POD to the front input of the amp

by hamza4best on 2011-12-08 09:11:05

and does the preamp mean that it will amplify and boost my vocals so that they'll become louder? and is there any other way to do it other than having a pa? and in your opinion whats the most cost effective pa thats not that big and portable?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-12-08 09:25:18

You'll really have to experiment with the POD and find out the best settings for the mic which suit you.

The most cost effective?  That's a big question and one that could have a whole load of different answers.   If you have a POD HD500 and you need volume as well as clarity and proper vocal capability a small PA would probably be the most cost effective in my opinion, but as I say there are lot of possible answers to this/

Nick

by hamza4best on 2011-12-08 09:32:32

so which one you'll recommend then?

by hamza4best on 2011-12-08 09:39:10

btw is it possible that that line 6 may release a firmware in the future which might add preamps for vocals? if they do then will i need a pa or no? and secondly whats the purpose of a preamp can you explain please?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-12-08 10:05:53

hamza4best wrote:

so which one you'll recommend then?

You'll have to look into what's available where you live I'm afraid.  I'd be looking at a couple of powered 12" speakers and a small mixer minimum - maybe one of the Behringer Xenyx mixers.  I use one of these with a pair of dB Opera 405 powered speakers for rehearsal.  That's not necessarily a recommendation, but it is a solution that works reasonably well for a vocal PA.

A mic pre-amp's main purpose would be to provide a flat frequency response level boost to match volume with other instruments and microphones fed into the PA.  Like a guitar amp pre-amp, a mic pre-amp may have tone controls to shape the sound of the vocals.

Line 6 rarely talk about future plans for their products, but anything is possible I guess.

In my opinion you will definitely need a PA of some description foir vocals at some point in your musical adventures.  whether you have to buy it or whether it's a joint purchase between band members is another thing.  You can also use the PA with your POD HD500.   A guitar amp is never a good idea for vocals IMO.   Longer term, i would suggest that you may want to purchase a decent valve guitar amplifier and use your POD with that.

Nick

by Mhomho on 2011-12-08 13:30:13

You can see here an example of the HD500 as a vocal FX unit.

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/television/conciertos-radio-3-damien-lott/1022881/

On the first song I use it to loop a phrase. Some pattern tremolo too on vocals and delays of course (analog delay w/mod)

On the second song I use the rotary sim on the bridge...

Lots of delays+reverbs all over the gig...

by Line6david on 2011-12-08 15:26:44

Hi,

The newest version of HD500 flash memory comes with Vocal presets to get you started:

New Presets – This firmware includes lots of new presets.  Many of the pre-existing Set Lists have gotten new presets and reordered based on customer feedback.  The “BASS/ACO/VOC” Set List includes presets which provide a starting point for bass, acoustic guitar, and vocal processing.

Avalible here:

http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=4361">http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=4361">http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=4361

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

by borehead on 2011-12-08 18:44:34

A preamp is not a firmware thing, it's hardware. In either way, you will need a PA. As said before, vocals through guitar amps is in the most situations not a good idea. A preamp for vocals beef up the signal, makes it warmer, and not so "sterile" sounding.

by hamza4best on 2011-12-09 00:31:59

can you make a video where you use distortion on the vocals?

by Mhomho on 2011-12-09 01:35:24

I have never used distortion live on vocals. Could be a feedback holocaust. I use the Mid Focus EQ just to cut the lows and the highs and that seems to work...

by hamza4best on 2011-12-09 03:14:57

ok but i really like distorted vocals like what matt bellamy does so is it possible to get distorted vocals like him through the pod?

by jimsreynolds on 2011-12-09 03:58:37

Try a tube compressor or a mild overdrive effect. 

by hamza4best on 2011-12-28 09:14:42

does it has a megaphone vocal effect?

by Jessycd on 2012-10-29 08:23:33

Did you ever try something yourself ?????

I read half of the thread this guy drove me mad !

Respect to all contributors patience !

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.