These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

Can someone explain to me the USB Dropout Issue on X3L?
by ilovecookies on 2011-12-11 06:56:18

Hi everyone,

This is my second Line6 product and first time poster.

I recently bought myself a used Line 6 X3L and it has the serial X3LXX58xx.... I saw another thread saying if the serial number is X3LX59xx below, then it is a lifetime warranty. But mine has 2 X's between X3L ... and 58, is this still considered the first batch where the problems were at? I currently have NO issues with it right now, but I am scared I might run into these issues later on. I heard people would use it for 3 years and the unit would slowly die away?

Anyone know the chance of the unit actually below X3LX59xx and have absolutely NO problem since they bought it?

Please let me know, I am curious about this!

Thank you

-Ilovecookies

Re: Can someone explain to me the USB Dropout Issue on X3L?
by TheRealZap on 2011-12-11 07:08:13

the problem doesn't happen for everyone... so many people have had x3's with the issue and have never known.

if it's working on your computer i wouldn't worry about it...

they don't die slowly... they either work or they don't

by silverhead on 2011-12-11 08:10:21

Like zap says, the issue doesn't slowly appear or disappear - you either notice it or you don't. From what you describe you are not likely to experience this problem - at least not on your current computer.

However, the issue does seem to suddenly appear when you switch computers. Some X3L owners have had no problem on one computer and then immediately see this problem on a new/different computer.

The fact that you have different characters between the X3L and the 58 in your serial number is irrelevant; it's the 58 that matters. Based on your serial number your device could exhibit this problem on another computer.

Personally, I would get the free servicing you are entitled to and have the X3L repaired when convenient for you. I say that for future/resale reasons. If you ever do change computers you want to know that this problem isn't going to suddenly appear. Also, if you ever want to sell it a knowledgeable buyer will ask if this device has been fixed, and will expect a price discount for the inconvenience if it has not.

by ilovecookies on 2011-12-11 10:35:59

Thank you for everyone's reply. I got a better understand of what the issue is.

I wonder if there's a way to prevent all the problems I see associated with the X3L, like handling the unit better, safe shut down, etc? Because I also heard of Blank Screens that exists right? But I guess that's another topic!

by silverhead on 2011-12-11 11:09:25

The X3L is actually a very stable and mature unit now. It is a discontinued product but Line 6 still supports it. I wouldn't worry about anticipating other problems. Just enjoy it.

Don't forget that this is a support forum - usually all you see here are problems. You don't hear from the many, many more satisfied owners of perfectly functioning X3's. Let's presume you've got one of those units unless you discover problems.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.