These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Variax 700 with graphtechs.Problem (again)
by arislaf on 2011-12-11 08:05:35

Hallo everyone, I recently upgrade the variax piezos with graphtecs, and all seemed good until...I started played dynamically..

The wounded strings (E,A,D) sounded loud, pretty loud even with a very soft picking, while the unwounded strings (G,B,E) didn't sound at all.

I used the workbench to adjust the volume, but even with settings of 10% for the wounded and 100% for the unwounded didn't solve the problem.

I reflash, but again, nothing.

When I installed the piezos, I cut the wires, separate them, put the silver on the pcb possitions that was the variax before, and the ground (blue), put them all together, and solder them together with the green one.

I have a variax 700 with tremolo.Any help / suggestion?

Re: Variax 700 with graphtechs.Problem (again)
by amx05462 on 2011-12-11 08:12:13

i grounded  all my  pickups  to the   bridge  plate  not a green  wire.. try that.

by arislaf on 2011-12-11 08:34:53

Can you please specify me where exactly?Or about where?

by amx05462 on 2011-12-11 09:12:54

what i would  do  is  loosen  the trem block  mounting  screws..   slip a   piece  of   stripped  wire  between the  block  and   the  bridge  plate.. retighten    the screws.  this  will give  you  something   to  solder to.   now  youlll be grounding  to the  bridge  plate  like  my 300 is.  ive  had  no problems  with  mine.  the  other  thing is  check for  a ground  wire  at the  tremelo claw. if it  has  a ground  wire  you can attatch  to that.. also  check the  pcb isnt  touching  anything  like  the  trem block. theres  supposed  to be  a double  sided  tape  insulating  and attatching  the pcb.  if its   not  and the pcb is  touching  anything  .. you could be  shorting the board..

seems  to me  that  if  3  pickups  are  loud  and   3  are  mute...   you  may  have   a short  or  have  done  something  wrong.  also  that one   may have a ribbon cable . if  so   reseat both  ends  in the connector.  when i did  mine  all volumes  were  equal. your  the  first  one  ive  heard  of  who  has  had  trouble  with this  so most  likely  you need  to check over   what you  did..  

by arislaf on 2011-12-11 09:22:20

Thank you very much for all your kind efforts!I will look at it tommorow and let you know!Thanks a lot

by arislaf on 2011-12-11 09:23:52

Just to clarify, that the 3 are not mute, are with very small sound.

by arislaf on 2011-12-15 02:24:21

amx, you are my hero!Thank you man, my baby is working better than ever !I am so happy,that when I hear it sounding normally I started cryin :') !God how much I love my variax!Thank you very much man!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.