These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

L6 link Vs Guitar input
by gnfreire on 2011-12-13 02:00:00

I'm comparing the signal and sound with guitar straight to DT50/25 amps Vs guitar into Pod Hd300/500 then L6 link to DTs using the same amp, the same cab, the same topology, etc and the result is A GREAT LOSS IN SIGNAL OUTPUT AND TONE SUCKING when its in the POD path. When its direct into DTs guitar input, the sound and dinamic response from the amp is PERFECT!!!!!

I really want to use the Pods fx and relay switching to DT amps but the sound directly into guitar input is much better!

Anybody there getting the same problem??

Is there a way to avoid the tone sucking in the POD/l6 link path?

Re: L6 link Vs Guitar input
by MGblade on 2011-12-13 08:56:54

i,ve tested the difference of my dt25 topology's and the ones in my hd500 trough l6 link, the only difference i,m getting is that some how the dt25 pre amp has more channel volume, soundwice it's the same (in my ears).

but i guess it is supposed to sound the same since the models in the dt25 are hd models.

hope you can figure it out

by gnfreire on 2011-12-13 09:11:16

Yep, exactly but i would go further in attention and say the dinamic response from pluging straight to amp is better than l6 link.

maybe one reason is the long cable path of 3m jack to hd + 3m XLR cable to DT resulting in loss of signal for a few Dbs... is this making any sense to you?

by gregr on 2011-12-13 09:50:20

If you're using the same cable to connect your guitar to either the HD or the DT then there will be no relative signal loss.  The L6 Link is a digital connection.

by gnfreire on 2011-12-13 13:40:56

FIne,

i would be happy if i didnt notice any signal loss but it really happens between HD300 and 500 with both Dt25 and 50!

nothing seems to be better than taking the pods out of the way. Sad but true i like to be able to change amp settings and use the effects.

Thanks anyway.

by gregr on 2011-12-13 13:51:30

I'm not trying to imply that your concerns aren't valid, just that you cannot hold the L6 link or the cable providing it responsible. 1s and 0s don't magically morph themselves into something that anyone could readily describe as "tone sucking".

Perhaps this has something to do with the preset you're using including what models you're using, if you're using cabinet simulation (which you cannot disable on the HD300) as well as the various levels of the models and mixer block.  I would think you would get very consistent results between the HD500 and modeling preamp in the DT using any of the four respective preamp-only models without cabinet emulation.

by gnfreire on 2011-12-14 04:37:59

i'm not saying the L6 link ( wich for me is one of the freat inovations in amp history for the last decade ) sucks the tone of the guitar. i've read your previous reply and marked it with "like" in case you didnt notice it. Again, that makes total sense. Digital signal wont have audio/energy signal loss.

What i do keep defending is that for my unfortune, the tone and dinamic response from pluging directly to the amp is much better than when you have the pod inbetween. And i should be happy if there is something i could do or someone could tell me how to keep the pod there and having the same signal or whatever you may call it.

by Line6Tony on 2011-12-20 09:08:59

Can you give us the details of the setup and the tone settings so we can reproduce it here? You should start with the most basic tone that displays this problem. Also, please try different XLR cables to connect L6Link to see if that makes a difference, just so we can rule that out.

by Line6Tony on 2011-12-22 13:02:05

Please let us know if you still need help or we will close the thread. Thanks.

by gnfreire on 2011-12-23 10:11:14

Yep, simple as this:

a) Plug PRS DC3  guitar with 3m planet waves jack to POD HD300, select any of exact same presets as DT25 voicings, XLR cable to DT25 link and alternate with:

b) Plug PRS DC3 guitar into DT25 guitar imput using the same PW 3m jack and use de same settings as used before on HD300.

I've been trying this in a few full rigs as mine and the experience with/without POD is very different.

merry christmas.

by Line6Hugo on 2011-12-29 09:17:32

gnfreire,

Thanks for the setup info, but I need you to be more specific to know EXACTLY which amp models you are selecting.  So please provide the amp model names you are selecting on the POD HD300 for this comparison as the appear in the screen when you select them.

Thhis will help us know exactly what you are doing to compare.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

RE: L6 link Vs Guitar input
by Line6Tony on 2012-01-03 14:25:13

Hello. We haven’t heard back from you, so we're going to assume your question has been answered. If it has been answered, please award points to whoever was helpful and/or answered the question.

In the event your issue has not been resolved, I created a support ticket for you so we can continue to communicate. Please respond to the ticket. With us talking via the ticket, I will mark this thread answered.

Q: What is a support ticket?

A: A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link to the ticket when a Line 6 Support Representative responds to it. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support. Also, in your account, click My Account, then click Support Tickets to view the support ticket. Here’s a shortcut: http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/.

Please note: Sometimes support tickets will be filtered to spam and junk folders. If you did not receive an email from us indicating that a ticket has been created, please make sure to check those folders in your email host, and also that your email account is receiving messages at all.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.