These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

5CM?
by grimm26 on 2011-12-14 08:10:53

I'm having some trouble dialing in good tones on the HD500.  I did find yesterday that if I enable the pad on the guitar input things are getting a bit better.  Anyway, I've considered going back to a tube amp head, but I would probably still keep the HD500 even if I just use it for effects it is still worth what I paid for it.  So here is my question, I'm aware of the four cable method (never used it though).  But, what about a 5 cable method?  If the amp head that I get has a slave out, could I hook up normal 4CM way, then amp slave out to AUX input and route that through path B in the HD500 just to get speaker simulation?  Has anyone tried this or thought this way?  Maybe I'm just a nut .  The reason would be that for some small gigs I still don't want to lug a speaker cabinet, so if I can still use the amp's tone through the HD500's effects straight into the PA, that would be optimal.

Re: 5CM?
by phil_m on 2011-12-14 08:15:49

Well there are two issues with what you're proposing. First and most important, you would still need to have your amp head hooked up to a cabinet or some sort of dummy load to safely use it. You will fry your output transformer if you try to operate your amp under a no-load condition.

Second, as of now, there is no way to use the cab modeling in the HD500 without using the amp modeling. You can select "no cab" for any given amp model, but not vice versa. So you can't take a line out from an amp into the HD500 to use its cab modeling.

by grimm26 on 2011-12-14 08:18:51

1st, there are at least 3 amps that I've looked at where you can slave/direct out with the amp in standby.

2nd, having the outputs set for studio/direct won't apply anything without an amp model in the path?  I guess that makes sense.  It would seem stupid to use a direct box with speaker emulation with an HD500 on the floor.

by phil_m on 2011-12-14 08:24:58

Even if you can slave/direct out with the amp in standby, you need to have a load connected. There may be a few exceptions to this, but it's not typically the case.

If you want to go direct why you wouldn't just use the HD500's amp models? I've yet to hear any amp's line out that sounds better than the HD's amp modeling. Plus, this, you can just forego taking your amp altogether.

It's my preference to play with a "real" amp whenever possible, too. I like the interaction you get with having it nearby, and the way the guitar and amp can interact with each other is something I miss when going direct. But with the setup you're describing, you wouldn't have that anyway.

by grimm26 on 2011-12-14 08:53:16

If an any tube amp is in standby, there is no interplay between the speakers and the power section, so you don't need anything connected.  The blackstar series one amps, the egnater 4100, and the Bolt BTH100 can all slave/direct out without a load by either being in standby or specifically disabling the power section (the Bolt does this).

Anyway, that's exactly what I've been doing for the past 4 years with my POD X3 Live - just bringing that and hooking up to the PA.  Done.  Man is that nice.  My theorectical 5CM setup was just a wacky idea.  I'm joining a band now that will play some larger venues and I may actually have room to bring an amp .  And yes, that interplay with a real amp is nice.  Yesyerday, I was trying to get notes to bloom into harmonics just going straight from my HD500 into a powered PA speaker (EV ELX112P) cranked and I only tried a couple (I think the ENGL, the Uberschall and the 9/15), but could only get the 9/15 model to do it.  That's a nice model and I am going to try to use it more, but it doesn't have enough bite for some things.  I'm gonna try it with a Blue Comp Treb in front of it and see what I can make happen

by phil_m on 2011-12-14 09:08:37

Well, OK. You are correct - if you are in standby you aren't really using the power amp section of the amp. But, then again, it's still not something most amp manufacturers recommend doing simply because all it takes is forgetting to flip that little switch, and your amp is a goner. It's not something I'd feel comfortable doing with my amp. I don't trust myself to not be forgetful, I guess.

Also, when using these direct outs that can be used while in standby, all you're getting is a line out signal from the preamp anyway. I believe the Blackstar amps use some sort of cab modeling for this signal, or at least give you the option to. But, really, I've not heard any direct signal from an amp that comes that close to the actual amp sound.

by grimm26 on 2011-12-14 10:22:29

Side note, Blue Comp Treb in front of the 9/15 does indeed = awesome.  I gave it a quick try over lunch.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.