These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Distorted sound problems with POD Studio UX2 and Reaper
by RigourousMortuus on 2011-12-15 15:02:07

Hey everyone,

So, I've been using Reaper with my POD Studio UX2 for a couple months now and I've come across a strange distortion problem with playback. At certain points in my songs, the playback will get extremely distorted and almost slow down. If you've ever watched an extremely old VHS tape, then you'll know what I mean. The pitch goes all over the place, and it sounds almost "boingy," for lack of a better word.  The weird thing is that it only happens in small parts of the song on certain tracks. I can move clips around and they'll sound fine everywhere else, except for those small, 3 second areas where the distortion happens. Also I found if I export the project as an MP3 or WAV then the distortion is still there, which makes me think it's more possible that the issue is playback with my UX2, rather than Reaper. If I import MP3's from Reason to Reaper, it sometimes distorts that audio too, although from what I messed with, it stays that way regardless of where the clip is moved to. I've searched around and hardly found any answers or really that many other people are having the same problem. I would have posted this in a Reaper support forum, but seeing as how the only people I found having even vaguely the same issues as me were using Line 6 PODs, I figured I'd post it here. All of my drivers are up to date, or so Line 6 Monkey says.

Is this a problem with playback on my UX2, Reaper, or buffering/sample rates maybe?

I've attached a short clip of what the problem sounds like. If you need more information on my system specs, installed drivers, or software versions to help me solve this problem, say so and I'll see what I can do.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you!

specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz

Memory: 4096MB DDR3

Re: Distorted sound problems with POD Studio UX2 and Reaper
by RigourousMortuus on 2011-12-15 15:25:21

One more thing: It only happens in certain projects. But now I think it's actually distorting the entire song, just in much smaller, barely noticable doses than the calamity in the clip I posted.

by Line6david on 2011-12-20 17:42:19

Hi,

This issue could be related to a number of things. First check your connections.

Are you connecting to a set of powered speakers or to your computer's soundcard?

Have you tried connecting to different USB Ports?

Are you using a USB hub?

Make sure you have the latest drivers installed:

http://line6.com/software/

Then try the optimizations in our USB Troubleshooting Guide:

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4282

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

by Line6Hugo on 2011-12-20 17:46:43

Is it possible that the mp3 or audio was recorded with this bad glitch/sound?  Does this happen with new projects?  Make sure to disable any wireless adapters and sleep/standby mode on your computer while you are using the interface for optimal performance.

Also, please make sure to remove all other USB devices while troubleshooting this problem (except for a mouse and keyboard on a desktop computer). Completely remove ANY USB hubs, even if not in use, and test the device on all of the computer's USB ports to see if it acts any differently.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by RigourousMortuus on 2011-12-20 18:39:31

I have the UX2 connected to my PA system via the analog outs, so the speakers it runs to are powered. It sounds the same through headphones from the UX2 though.

I'm pretty sure I have the latest drivers, unless Line6 Monkey is lying to me, ha.

I'm not using a USB hub, and I have tried one of my other USB ports. I have tried it on my two fastest USB ports, but none others and I'll try that and the troubleshooting guide and reply back.

by RigourousMortuus on 2011-12-20 18:55:15

No, the clip wasn't recorded with the glitch. I can actually move the clip around to different parts of the program and it sounds fine, or place a clean clip on the spot where the distorted sound happens and it will become distorted when in that area.
I don't believe I have any wireless adapters on my computer, but I'm not quite sure exactly what you mean. I have a PC and use internet with an ethernet plugged into the back with the router on the other end of my house, if you mean wireless internet..?

I'm not sure if I have made enough projects long enough to know if it has happened before. It happens around the 3 minute 45 second mark on this one. It distorted one or two of my media files I imported as MP3's from Reason in the same manner, but only some instruments in the MP3.

Like I said before, I'll try the USB port changing. I just want to get as much info back to you asap.

by Line6Hugo on 2011-12-27 11:54:24

So far, we still can't determine what is causing the problem.

I would recommend creating a new project to see if the problem shows up on there as well.  If not, begin importing parts of your existing song to this new project to see if the problem returns.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by Line6Tony on 2011-12-30 12:18:41

RigourousMortuus wrote:

I can actually move the clip around to different parts of the program and it sounds fine, or place a clean clip on the spot where the distorted sound happens and it will become distorted when in that area.

This sounds like a Reaper issue. Disable the UX1 and use your onboard soundcard to see if it still happens. If it does, you'd have to check with Cuckos for a solution.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.