These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Grounding issue?- noisy
by pmsngl on 2011-12-16 16:53:59

I am having an issue with my hd500. Even on clean low gain patches, I have an undesirable amount of background noise. I'm pretty sure it's some sort of ground loop issue because if I put my hand on the metal bar on the pod, it goes away. I bought a hum debugger and put it in the fx loop right after the amp model and it helps a bit. It sounds like its a cycling pulsating current. I'm getting this through the phones out. I'm unsure about the other outs. Is there a way to fix this?

Re: Grounding issue?- noisy
by jimsreynolds on 2011-12-16 17:03:05

How have you hooked up your HD to your amp?   Is it a standard 2 cable hookup, 4CM or something else?   4cm is particularly prone to noise issues and there are some possible fixes.

There is an HD  system setting also that sets whether you are on 60Hz or 50Hz - make sure that this set right for your country.

Make sure that your amp and HD are on the same power strip.  Also try a different wall socket elsewhere in the house - it can make a difference where you are plugged.

What amp and guitar are you using?

by pmsngl on 2011-12-16 17:31:35

I'm actually not going through an amp right now. Just using the amp sim. I have the system set at 60Hz. I'm in the USA. Im getting the same noise out of every socket, even at different locations. I've got the fx out going into a behringer hd400 hum eliminator. Sent back to the return. In the effects chain, it's right after the amp (fender deluxe) before the mixer.

by jimsreynolds on 2011-12-17 01:08:02

The behringer is good for breaking ground loops but it is more likely that the loop is beween your Pod and mixer.  How are you connecting the Pod to the Mixer?  1/4" outputs or XLRs?

If 1/4" then try moving the Behringer to between the pod and mixer that may help.

If XLR ... there is a way to break the ground on XLR cables that I do not have to hand but was posted on this board by Nickmattocks (amongst one or two other things ).  I will try and dig it out later.

by pmsngl on 2011-12-17 08:04:19

Thanks for the help Jim. I've actually not got it going to a mixer right now. Just headphones out. The mixer I was referring to is the one on the pod right after the amp model where you can adjust the dB and pan. I put an fx loop effect in between the amp and that mixer on the pod. This is where I placed the behringer.

by jimsreynolds on 2011-12-17 15:33:48

OK, I understand,.  So with the simple guitar - > HD -> .Headphones hookup on a clean patch you are getting hum. 

Have you tried another guitar and cable yet to see if the hum goes?

If not, the only thing I can think of of right now is trying a full global reset and firmware re-installation in case someting is astray ... though I wouldn't hold out too much hope on this as a fix.  Remember to back up all your patches using HD Edit first. 

I don't think you can rule out a hardware fault on the pod either.  Is it still under warranty?  If you bought it from a shop then perhaps you could take it back and try another one (with your guitar and cable).

by pmsngl on 2011-12-18 14:51:05

I've tried different guitars, cables, used an interface....and it's still got that background noise. I'm recording into logic and used the Xlr with the ground lifted and still nothing changes. I'm gonna try doing a global reset tonight. Let's hope it works cuz I bought it from guitar center and it's been over 30 days. :/

The noise is just a constant like white noise. No longer pulsating. When I used a gate in logic, I almost had to max out the threshold to get rid of it and barely any of my signal was going through.

by Captain_Sensible on 2011-12-18 19:56:57

I had a similar issue with my HD500.  See http://line6.com/support/thread/72204.">http://line6.com/support/thread/72204">http://line6.com/support/thread/72204. The issue persisted several days, trying it out in different rooms, with different guitars, and with different cables.  I took the unit to a local repair shop and they ended up sending it off to Line 6.  Got it back a little over a month later with Line 6 saying that they couldn't replicate the issue.  So, I took it home, and sure enough, the issue was gone.  I was spooked enough though to sell it before the issue arose again.  Now I have a HD bean, which I find generally to be a lot less noisier than the HD500.

by tonemasterus on 2011-12-19 10:46:00

I also have this problem.  I noticed that if you are connecting 1/4" unbalanced to a mixer or amp without a 3 prong chord you get the open ground noise, if you connect to an amp with a 3 prong chord or if you connect the XLR balanced the hum goes away.  So even if I am not using the XLR, I will sometimes connect it to get the ground.  Does the job for me, don't know if that helps you or not, but something to try.

Thanks

Dave

by camel on 2011-12-19 13:39:03

I was getting a lot of buzz when using any of my music gear that was plugged into the wall, even just the pod and headphones and especially when recording over usb when laptop was plugged in.

My solution was to shield the electrics cavities in my guitar and bass. I have lost 90% of buzz on drive sound and clean sounds are completely buzz free! The bass has no buzz with any sound.

You can find lots of info about shielding on the net.

by pmsngl on 2011-12-21 09:22:21

Thanks for all the responses guys.  Nothing I've tried has helped. I did a global reset and the thing is still buzzing. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do at this point. Very disappointing. I'll try to post a sound sample of what I'm getting, any suggestions websites I can post audio files for free to?

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2011-12-21 09:41:26

I see you're recording using the XLR outs.  Do you also have the USB cable plugged into your computer while doing so?  If you do, unplug it. 

by pmsngl on 2011-12-22 08:17:52

Nope. I do not have the USB plugged in. I don't even have the laptop plugged in. I've tried Xlr out, 1/4", and just guitar>pod>headphones, and the noise is present in all of the above. I bought brand new cables, and even with humbuckers, the noise is still prevalent.

by jimsreynolds on 2011-12-22 10:17:07

At this point I think the best thing is for you to try another unit - perhaps at Guitar Center where you bought it - and see if you get the same level of  noise.  Perhaps you can take the HD back to where you bought it and try one  of  theirs alongside yours.  If theirs is notably quieter then I think you need to go down the repair route.

I honestly dont know what the deal is with Vendor warranty in the US but it may be worth checking to see if the Line 6 one get you the repair done free (assuming that is what is required).  What is the thing with Guitar Center... do they offer a really lousy return policy or something?  

by pmsngl on 2011-12-22 20:59:14

Made an interesting observation today. If I set the resistor values to 22k in the global settings, although it decreases the output volume a lot, it takes away quite a bit of noise. I'm not even sure what this feature is, Any reason why 22k could help?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-12-23 02:33:19

From everything you've said the problem would appear to be a less than good ground rather than a ground loop as such.   Electrically I'm sure the ground in your mains wiring is 100% safe, but in terms of audible hum caused by a tiny amount of AC being induced in the house wiring ground wire by the regular AC cables running in close proximity to the ground wire, it's not being grounded as well as it could.

At home I have zero grounding issues with my HD500 and any guitar.  However there is another location I go to regularly and the grounding in that property is not as good, so I get a bit of hum which goes away when I touch the strings on the guitar.

In terms of induced voltage we are talking about probably a lot less less than 500mV, which is nothing in electrical terms, but in audio terms that can be a lot

You might be able to improve matters at your property, by getting an electrician to install an earth 'spike' in soft, damp ground outside, and then to make a connection from this to your property's electrical ground.   The problem with a lot of modern properties tends to be a lack of underground metal pipes as would have perhaps been the norm in days gone by, which would have normally been bound to the electrical ground. Modern day utility services like gas and water tend to be supplied to your property using plastic pipes these days.

Nick

by Line6Tony on 2011-12-28 16:38:17

I can't say why the 22k setting helped, but what I didn't see was that you tried a different location to determine if the unit is faulty or there's an outside grounding issue. I would go to a music store and connect it side by side with another unit. If you get noise from yours only, it looks like it will have to be a warranty repair at a service center:

http://line6.com/service_centers/style="font-size: 10.0pt; font-family: 'Calibri','sans-serif';">. If both hum, I would try a couple other "clean power" candidates to find if the unit is faulty or not.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.