These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

Spider Valve HD 100 Mk II loud noise when using tuner mode and XLR out
by lonefiddler on 2011-12-18 21:17:40

Twice now, I have connected an XLR cable to the XLR out of the head during performances. The first time the XLR cable was fed back to my band's mixer. The second time, last night at a club, it was connected to the club's PA system. Both times, when I depressed the Tuner footswitch on the FBV Shortboard MkII, I got this terribly loud feedback noise (low pitch). Turning the tuner mode off by depressing the same footswitch stopped the noise.

Is this a common problem with these amplifiers or have I just got something set incorrectly for using the XLR out? I would appreciate any help with this. The guys in the band are going nuts with this.

Re: Spider Valve HD 100 Mk II loud noise when using tuner mode and XLR out
by Line6david on 2011-12-21 15:36:15

Hi,

The tuner mode should mute the output of the amp. Sounds like it could be a grounding issue. What is the power like in the club you are playing in?

Does the same issue happen in the room you practice in?

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

by lonefiddler on 2011-12-22 07:16:08

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The only two times I have tried using the XLR out to connect to the mixer this problem occurred. This happened at two different clubs, one using our mixer and the last time using the club's mixer. Since posting this thread, I have came across similar threads pertaining to the XLR out options (Performance and Studio). I checked my amp and it was in Studio mode. I have changed it to Performance mode to see if it will occur again the next time we play out somewhere.

Normally, during practice it is not connected through the mixer at all; only our mics, the Roland drum set, and the keyboards. Our practice building is small so there is no need in connecting the guitar amps. I think, though, that I may experiment with it next we practice after the holidays. I will post an update to this thread at that time so it will be documented here in the case someone else has the same issue that I am having.

Keith

by Line6Hugo on 2011-12-28 15:47:01

I was unable to reproduce this problem in either Studio or Performance mode with the Spider Valve Mk II amps.  I would suggest testing this at rehearsal or somewhere else before attempting live to verify if there is a problem with the amp's XLR out.

Also, make sure there isn't any Phantom power on the channels you are connecting the XLR out to.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by Line6Tony on 2011-12-30 10:18:15

For now we will mark this question answered. We would like you to post your results here, however.

In the event your issue has not been resolved, I created a support ticket for you so we can continue to communicate. Please respond to the ticket. With us talking via the ticket, I will mark this thread answered.

Q: What is a support ticket?

A: A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link to the ticket when a Line 6 Support Representative responds to it. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support. Also, in your account, click My Account, then click Support Tickets to view the support ticket. Here’s a shortcut: http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/.

Please note: Sometimes support tickets will be filtered to spam and junk folders. If you did not receive an email from us indicating that a ticket has been created, please make sure to check those folders in your email host, and also that your email account is receiving messages at all.

by wademaillet on 2012-01-17 10:59:20

My HD100 MKII started doing the same thing at practice the other day. I thought maybe the ethernet cable had come loose from my pedal but, no dice. Its still under waranty so i'm thinking of bringing it in. Ill let you know if they find anything.

by worshipkid316 on 2012-03-30 21:00:40

Just like you, I have connected an XLR cable to the XLR out of the head during performances. Until last week  I have had  no problem. then all of a sudden during rehearsal when I depressed the Tuner footswitch on the FBV Shortboard MkII, I got this terribly loud feedback hum (low pitch). It seems to be a ground issue

but the amp had been fine. the only way yto stop the hum is to unplug the XLR cable. Since I am in the house band nothing has really changed.

I will look into a grounding issue.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.