These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Vetta

My Vetta won't update and as a result is now inoperative.
by Cre8VsoL on 2011-12-19 11:09:07

Please help. Yesterday I went about updating the firmware in my Vetta combo. I had done it once before with Line 6 Monkey and an M-Audio midi/USB cable. It was very simple and it updated and preformed perfectly afterward. This time it seems to be stuck in a vicious cycle of not finishing the update. Also I am having some trouble with the display back light which at certain points in the process completely un-readable. Although the back light issue existed when I successfully updated the firmware in the past. The main issue seems to take place at the point of the update download. I have followed the online instructions exactly... several times.... with a PC and a Mac. Each time I get to the point where the amp display says ready for update, I click on update Vetta on the computer and the computer progress bar shows the download working. However, the amp display does not show anything like a progress bar to indicate that the download is making it's way into the the amp. When the computer goes through it's download process and asks me to push the save button on the amp to return to normal amp function, nothing happens. I try turning the amp off and on as instructed, but no change. And then I repeated the process severeal times with no luck. Thanks.  

Re: My Vetta won't update and as a result is now inoperative.
by MerlinFL on 2011-12-19 13:20:37

Sounds like or more problems have arisen since your last successful update.

Question - if you updated your Vetta, why are needing to do it again?  There has not been any new updates for the Vetta since 2007 and you said you updated your Vetta previously without any problems.  I'm just curious why you're updating this amp again?

Besides the question I asked, I see at least two possible problems.

1) you will need to perform this update using another Vetta and going from one operational Vetta to your currently "stuck" Vetta.  I had this update situation happen to me once after buying a non-updated Vetta I.  It simply refused to update using monkey the M-Audio USB/MIDI cable method.  I was then told to hook up via MIDI one Vetta to the other and to a "transfer" and that worked perfectly.  I hope you might have access to another Vetta I or II - software-wise, the model does not matter.

2) you are having continuing problems with your display.  If that display is giving you BLACK BARS, then that is your Vetta telling you that you now have a HARDWARE PROBLEM.  If your hardware problem is real, then it seems likely that your software updating attempts would logically have problems working.

I hope this answers your question and gives you possible solutions to resolving your Vetta troubles.

Take care,

Neal

by Cre8VsoL on 2011-12-20 14:47:32

Hi Neal,

Thanks for your insight. In answer to why I went about a second update, It was just a mental focus lapse. I started out to just add one custom tone into a user pre set. Anyway, since I didn't have any other custom tones I figured I'll just update the hole thing, not realizing, that I already had the latest installed.

I will try the method you described in #1. I assume the specific instructions can be found on the line 6 web site. The light issue is a thing where the display works in most situations. It just isn't illuminated unless I press and hold save. Either way I will at least eventually have a repair person look at it. It has operated well like this for a few years.

Thanks Again,

Warren

by MerlinFL on 2011-12-20 15:52:36

Cre8VsoL wrote:

Hi Neal,

Thanks for your insight. In answer to why I went about a second update, It was just a mental focus lapse. I started out to just add one custom tone into a user pre set. Anyway, since I didn't have any other custom tones I figured I'll just update the hole thing, not realizing, that I already had the latest installed.

I will try the method you described in #1. I assume the specific instructions can be found on the line 6 web site. The light issue is a thing where the display works in most situations. It just isn't illuminated unless I press and hold save. Either way I will at least eventually have a repair person look at it. It has operated well like this for a few years.

Thanks Again,

Warren

You're very welcome and Yes Warren - I found those instructions here on this website.  If you can't, please use the search and type in VETTA FROM VETTA UPDATE MIDI  those search words should net you the result with the instructions.  They are very simple and if you still can't find them, please email me and I'll forward them to you.  I think I bookmarked them way back when.

Take care,

Neal

by jvblack on 2011-12-24 11:20:14

The Vetta - to - Vetta method is described in the .pdf file referenced in the second post in this thread:

http://line6.com/support/thread/71102">http://line6.com/support/thread/71102">http://line6.com/support/thread/71102

Good Luck,

Joe

by Line6Don on 2011-12-29 11:02:08

+1 to MerlinFL and jvblack.

I would suggest to the Vetta to Vetta update as well. As for the problem with the update from your computer, you have to make sure to have the latest drivers installed for the MIDI-USB interface that you are using. In addition to that, you have to make sure that the MIDI cables are connected correctly. MIDI OUT goes to MID IN, MIDI IN goes to MIDI OUT, enless otherwise noted on your interface.

by Hugh_Jarrse on 2012-02-02 09:39:50

Hi there I have probably got the protocol wrong, but I can't find a Vetta V2 software update anywhere, and I don't know how to start a new question. I have had a Vetta for years but never updated because I had no VDI, but after looking for four years I finally got an upgrade kit, on page one of the manual it says "the Vetta will not recognise the VDI unless you upgrade to V2 or higher" but I can't find the update,... any ideas?

Cheers Hugh

by TheRealZap on 2012-02-02 10:30:53
Vetta II 2.5 is a free update for all Vetta I and Vetta II Customers. Please see the Manual Addendum available here(select Vetta II from the list) for more information.

IMPORTANT: The Vetta II 2.5 update will restore the factory patches, erasing your own custom patches. Please backup your own patches by following the instructions in the Vetta manual on page 4*25 & 4*26. The Vetta II 2.5 update comes in two parts. If you do not complete both parts you'll experience all sorts of problems, the most obvious being very slow patch change times.
If you are experiencing very slow patch change times, please back up your patches, then redo the update and follow all the instructions throughout both parts. Once you've completed the update, you'll find instructions to restore your custom presets in the manual on page 4*27.
There are a number of shareware Sysex Librarians available for backing up your presets. If you’re running OS X on a Mac, Sysex Librarian is the best choice. For Windows systems, MIDI-OX is an old standby (http://www.midiox.com) or Bome's SendSX.
MIDI Freaks, Caution: The new user selectable footswitch assignments are known to cause minor issues with their associated MIDI CC parameters. If you re-map footswitches you may not be able to engage the mapped effects via MIDI CC's. A resolution is in development.
OS: Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows 98SE, Mac OS X, Mac OS Panther, Mac OS Tiger, Windows Vista, Mac OS Leopard, Windows 7, Mac OS Snow Leopard, Mac OS Lion
( 366.17 KB ) Get Download

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.