These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Share Your Settings

M13 Delay - U2 settings (The Edge)
by The_Fly_ on 2009-05-10 18:22:41

I just purchased a M13 (moving away from individual pedals).  I am really trying to replicate as many effects as I can that U2's The Edge uses (primarily various Delay Settings).  Anyone out there who can share specific settings (when I say specific - i mean VERY specific since I am so new with this thing:) - I would greatly appreciate any input!

Thanks

Re: M13 Delay - U2 settings (The Edge)
by Brian_C on 2009-05-20 05:14:35

Here's some off the top of my head:

All Edge's delays are mouldated delay - very important to the sound!!  If you wanna play like Edge get your self some Herdim picks.  they are sooo import they really are.   Edge holds them backwards and uses the dimples to create that scratchy sound.

Streets: Uses two delays 330ms and 425ms. I only have one but I use 425ms with 4 repeats

Sunday Bloody..:   340ms

Vertigo I think is 380ms

I will Follow : 280ms with a little phaser

Bad: 440ms at 90%.  I love song.  But that "simple" solo is not so simple.  You have to play it backwards, the delay is the key.

CoBL: I think is 380 or 420ms, pretty low volumn feedback. 3 repeats.

Until.. of the World:   Boss OD-2 or Tubescreamer using 380ms delay.  turn off the OD when picking the notes, on for that main riff.

As I said above, Modulated Delay and Herdim picks are very very important for Edge.

Hope this helps some.

by MGrd on 2009-05-20 08:57:00

I don't listen to U2/Edge, but this article about the "cascading delay" on harmony-central may be interesting:

http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/ddl_cascade/

by The_Fly_ on 2009-05-21 07:27:52

This is some great information!!  I can't wait to dig into it!  Thank you very much!!

by The_Fly_ on 2009-05-21 07:29:13

Thank you VERY much for these specific delay settings - these are essential to get right to even get close!  Thank you!

by MinstrelPA on 2009-09-28 16:06:51

One that Brian missed was "Still Haven't Found...", you can find it and my own personal ones either on my blog here... http://minstrel.blog.com or go here to http://www.vettaville.nl/startpatchov.php to see all the selections from other contributors.

by tigerbono on 2009-10-12 14:26:11

Try using the boost comp with your delays for the clean Edge sound. Also adjust the modulation so its pretty even sounding. The Streets delay time has about 3 repeats so try starting there. For the more overdriven Edge sound try the red comp and a overdrive with yout delays. Im using a Vox AC30 CC2X so your sound may vary, but just keep experimenting. Oh and the herdim pick-- ESSENTIAL. Im an Edge freak and most of the time im tweaking and adjusting daily, its part of the process.

by albertojgg on 2009-10-12 17:15:01

Wooaaooo!! Nice information. I´m gonna try all that delay times. How do you guys achive the Misterious ways?? What kiind of effects does edge uses??

What pedals does edge uses for dirty sounds??? i read that he uses his vox ac30 clean. Also what booster does he uses???

by tigerbono on 2009-10-13 07:51:29

For Mysterious Ways Edge uses the Korg A3... but it can be copied with the M13. Some guy on youtube showed how it can be done. Have a look. It was a slow filter and a phaser with delay. I tried it and it wasnt too bad. Try joining the yahoo U2 disscussion group for more on Edges sound.

by MinstrelPA on 2009-10-14 06:39:17

I'm with "tigerbono" on this one. The "UTube" post was a big help on finding the correct effects. That's why I implemented them to the scene on my blog at minstrel.blog.com - "Mysterious Waves" scene. It may not be 100%, but then what is? It is darn close, though. Now I'll just have to get me some of them herdim picks and see if that nails it for the technique.

by Peeler on 2009-12-09 16:09:04

Hey!

I am a bit of an Edge fan as well (OK a HUGE Edge fan!) and a M13 owner!

The Digital Delay w/ Mod is GOLD for the Edge tones...  the 'Boost Comp' in front of the chain is a HUGE contributor as well and you can't go wrong with the 'Screamer' for the Dist sounds...  a lot of them anyway - but not ALL!

Pitch Glide for that unmistakable part in Beautiful Day works beautifully!

I agree the Herdims make a WORLD of difference!  I just ordered a whack of them and can't believe the tonal difference they make!

Having a nice amp makes a difference as well - I use a Ltd Edition Fender Blues Jr with a Jensen speaker and a Vox AC30H2 (same one you see behind Bono on the 360 tour) and I have fallen in LOVE with the sounds I can get...

Glad to see people are out on this forum with like-minds!

Cheers...

Peeler

http://www.peeler.ca

PS - For outboard gear - check out the Electro Harmonix POG 2...   its amazing for some of the NLOTH sounds!

by parirami on 2009-12-15 09:40:57

Just got my M13 2 days ago so I'm messing with the default Over the Edge scene. Updated to the latest fw.

Any particular changes to the scenes you guys find useful?

by MinstrelPA on 2009-12-15 13:35:37

Hi parirami,

IMHO, the full effect of U2's "ISHFWILF" cannot be obtained without the right gear setup as can be seen here... http://cgi.ebay.pl/Pack-of-3-Herdim-picks-Use-The-Edge-with-a-Delay-pedal_W0QQitemZ190339864295QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item2c5123d6e7 . Go to the site scroll down past the pictorial of the Vox amps setup and see at the bottom, "Additional delay times and settings: Songs that use 2 separate delays (signal split to 2 amps)". The settings I have used in my "Over the Edge" scene is a generic setup for only a single amp. It's a workable substitute, but not perfect. Short of using two VOX AC30's (or similar), one panned left, the other panned right and the two Korg delays, you will never achieve the desired sound you're looking for. The Edge is in effect using a stereo setup to mix the two delays. This is the only way to get the correct sound The Edge achieves. You may tweak the settings somewhat in the "Over the Edge" scene to your desired likings and may be able to find a happy medium. Give it a try and see what you come up with and then keep us all updated on the results. Thanks for the follow-up parirami!~ The Minstrel

by bobostar67 on 2009-12-31 04:25:25

Hello ! Mon anglais est trés mauvais. alors je réponds en francais

Ici tu trouves tout les delay de The Edge.

http://edgewannabe.net/recarchive/content/bpmfiles/bpm_slanedvd.html

les 3 premiers album The Edge utilisait um Memory Man sur la M13 c'est un Analog delay w. Mod. Jusqu'à l'album War

ensuite il a utilisé dig. delay w.mod.

en autre site pour voir les delay

http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/

et mon site you tube pour voir mes vidéos

http://www.youtube.com/bobostar67

by LukeDalton on 2010-04-23 11:37:22

Hi there, I've just come across your question concerning Mr.Edge's delay settings and I'd like to try and help you out. Taking a song such as 'Where the streets have no name', you'd need a modulated echo - subtle, but it adds an almost 3d effect to the proceedings - that and having two amps to run through! The first delay, is almost a 'slap-back' delay and the timing should be 120ms. Have this about half of the volume of your played notes. The second 'main' delay needs to be at 360ms and have this almost the same volume as your played notes. Have about 1/2 repeats on the 120ms delay and 4/6 repeats on the 360ms delay. Also, you'll need to keep the high filter off, to keep the crystal clear clarity and take out some of the bottom frequencies - around 158-200k should do the trick. This makes sure the delay's don't 'muddy the sound'. If you are lucky enough to be able to run this through two amps (got to be Vox!) then you can seperate the delays slightly to make full use of the stereo potential. As a footnote - using 'Herdim' blue picks sideways will create an extra 'scratchy' sound, but you may find they're difficult to hold when new, so I have mine rubbed down a bit on very smooth sandpaper to take (pardon the pun) the 'edge' off. (running the set up through a Korg SDD3000 will give your amp a much needed boost too!) I hope this helps and if you need anymore info on U2 sounds - please don't hesitate to ask. (I might not be able to check this account much as I'm away a fair bit) Keep rockin'!    Luke Dalton.

by TheFly360 on 2010-07-05 12:22:18

Hi I am a fairly new user. I registered a while back but never have been on here. I am a big U2 fan and enjoy trying to replicate a lot of The Edge's sounds. He's a major influence on me. I also am a M13 owner. Been one for a really great 5 months. I saw your post and thought I'd post a setting of "The Fly" I created. It isn't exactly dead on but I like the way it sounds. For this song I use a Les Paul > Rocktron Wah > M13 > Vox AC4 TV. I'll try and post these as close as I can to what I have. You may want to tweak these to taste but I'll help get you as close as I can!

The Fly Guitar Effects Setting for the L6 M13

FX Unit 1: Overdrive- Drive: 100%; Bass: 50%; Mid: 55%; Treble: 45%; Output: 70%

FX Unit 2: Phaser- Speed: 30%; Depth: 80%; FDBK: 40%; STG 8; Mix 20%

FX Unit 3: Spring Reverb- Decay: 30%; Pre Delay: 104 ms; Tone: 25%; Mix: 50%

FX Unit 4: Dig Dly W/ Mod- Pre Delay: 419 ms; FDBK: 30%; Mod Speed: 25%; Depth: 30%; Mix: 65%

I hope you guys like this setting. And don't be afraid to tweak it until it sounds perfect to you! The real fun with the M13 is turning the knobs and trying to achieve a certain sound. It allows us to be very creative.

Also of note is I have my M13 set so it goes 1>2>3>4, instead of the default 4>3>2>1.

by godinbluesman on 2010-07-15 12:40:41

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr7b0AskbtE

This guy has a pretty darn good grip on what he's doing with the m13, maybe try and hit him up and with everything people posted here your on your way to the bigtime:0

by athurart09 on 2010-08-23 20:51:36

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

by godinbluesman on 2010-09-06 19:24:10

I cannot find any settings for beautiful day, can anyone share something. I am horrible at delays and this m13. I try and look at it as just one pedal at a time but I get flustered. Thanks for any help, I know there are great settings out there I hear people using them on youtube, saying m13 is f/x source.

by godinbluesman on 2010-09-07 07:49:47

my last post sounded wrong, I suck at single delay pedals as well, i'm not saying it's the m13 cause if someone gave me all of the edge's equipment i wouldn't know what to do at all. I have always played straight ahead rock. Thanks to anyone who has a minute to share, I have scoured google for Beautiful day settings and there is nothing. Brings up everything else.

edit: I just found this, wow somebody did update this site, it hasn't had a 2010 entry at all until recently.

by dylantan on 2010-09-20 03:59:10

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ralqh --- pretty amazing emulation and with information on equipment as well.

by MrDavatin on 2010-09-30 15:06:29

Check out this Website 'The Fly'   

www.soundliketheedge.com

by dylantan on 2010-10-01 05:05:41

Fantastico!!! Purchasing it now!

by sergio_lx on 2011-01-04 04:41:37

Hi. I'm new on this effect stuff so I was trying to look for saomeone who could tell me the Electri Co. Settings if u don't mind.

by M13roy on 2011-02-17 03:35:14

M13 owners!

I like to share some of my experience for the M13 owners to get the U2 sound.

If you miss something in your U2 settings, a feeling, a tone or you need more modulation

Try to ad the Vetta Comp for more volume in the sound and the Spin Cycle for circulation in the sound.

For songs like The Fly or New years Day try to use these units in combination with the classic distortion.

For the streets have no name i'll have discovert that the mix and feedback are the key to get the right sound.

You need to activate two delayunits with modulation en EQ to get the right "streets"tone.

Here some of my delay settings:

440 ms - Beautiful day - Unknow Caller (vetta comp)

441 and 451 ms - Bad - I'll still haven't found (vetta comp)

419 ms - The Fly (with spin cycle and distortion)

450 ms - New Years Day (with spin cycle and distortion)

275 ms - I will follow (with spin cycle and distortion)

352 ms - Where the streets have no name "fast version"

358 ms - Where the streets have no name "fast version"

by Shtaven on 2011-02-17 04:49:18

I have a POD X3 LIve. Can you help me generate these U2 tones on it?

by richardjoven on 2011-03-20 22:29:57

Thanks to those who shares video. I have fun listening and watching it.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.