These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

Possible to connect Pocket POD to hifi-amplifier?
by gerby1990 on 2011-12-24 08:40:32

I have recently purchased a stereo hifi amplifier that powers two 60W speakers. I have my pc connected to this amplifier. My main question is is it possible to connect the Pocket POD directly to that amplifier?

I'm concerned that voltage and impedance don't match and therefore blow up the speakers or causing other harm to my equipment. If connecting the POD directly to the amplifier is not a good idea, I could still connect the POD to the pc and from the pc to the amplifier, but i fear that might compromise sound quality when i'm playing along with a backing track for instance.

So I'm wondering what the output voltage and impedance is of both the Amp out and the direct out/phones.

The input sensitivity and impedance on the amplifier is 150 mV/50 kohms..

Any thoughts on this issue?

Re: Possible to connect Pocket POD to hifi-amplifier?
by pbassred on 2011-12-27 01:45:40

No problem.  That's what pods are for.  People plug in their Ipod and phones in all the time. Get yourself a jack to phono splitter cable.  Your amp has quite a high input inpeadance so you aren't going to be able to pass enough current to damage it.  In fact It might be a bit low.  Try it.  The absolute worst that can happen is that you find out that you need a DI box to make it sound better.

PA Guys blow up speakers because they over drive their amplifiers ( shoulda bought a bigger amp) otherwise, It is almost impossible for the correct size amp to blow up speakers.  What you are doing is amplifing the sound of distortion which is an entirely different thing.

Re: Possible to connect Pocket POD to hifi-amplifier?
by Line6Tony on 2011-12-29 12:48:33

It just depends on your amp's inputs. The Pocket POD's 1/8" direct output is line level, so if your amp has this type of input, it will work. Pbassred's reference to a DI box is true if using the 1/4" output.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.