These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

POD 2.0 to PC Connection question.
by samboy155 on 2011-12-27 05:19:15

Hi,

I just purchased the POD 2.0, and have a question about connecting it to PC for recording purposes.

I read in the FAQ - 'If you have a Soundblaster type of card, you will need a cable that has two 1/4 inch mono plugs on one end and one 1/8 inch stereo plug.

I also read in another support article, that 'In order to load tones into the POD 2.0 you will need a MIDI to USB interface and Line 6 edit'

So, my question(s) is/are:  

- 1) Do I need to have both cables (Dual 1/4" to 1/8" AND Midi/USB Interface) to record to PC and edit tones respectively, or can I also record with the Midi to USB interface?

- 2) Instead of the dual 1/4" to 1/8" cable, can I just use a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter which plugs into my guitar and then have a 1/8" to 1/8" cable into my microphone/line in port on the computer? Note: Is there another type of adapter in which I just plug my normal guitar lead in to my guitar, and then have it plug into an adapter which changes it into a male 1/8" which then in turn plugs into my microphone/line in port? And if so, is one better than the other?

P.S. What type of 1/4" leads should I be using; (mono (1 black ring??) or stereo (2 black rings??)? I read something about 'TRS' but not enough to     understand it. Do I also need to worry about whether the 1/8" to 1/8" is stereo or mono?

- 3) Is there always going to be latency with PC recording such that the sound coming through my speakers (once my guitar is plugged into PC) is behind what I'm actually playing? (For playing along with songs whilst recording and hearing myself over the top of it).

I know thats alot of questions, but I'd really appreciate any help, so thanks in advanced!

Sam.

Re: POD 2.0 to PC Connection question.
by BigChas52 on 2011-12-27 07:02:27

No, you cannot record via the MIDI to USB interface.  That interface is for deep editing of preset patches.

Plug your guitar into the POD 2.0,  The 1/4" pluge should be mono - 1 black ring.  Consider using a L/R 1/4" mono to 1/8" stereo splitter cable.

I have found that there is fairly little latency with this method, but still a touch (as with ASIO as well).  In your recording software, mute the track that you are recording and monitor giuitar via the POD 2.0 headphone output.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.