These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: FBV MkI / MkII Controllers

setting up a fbv MKII shortboard
by oldbikedude on 2011-12-27 14:47:19

hello, I am new to the line 6 music world. I am trying to set up my son's shortboard. I do not understand all the amp lingo. What is a bank, a patch, port, channel & a midi? All I want to do is get a few of the amp preset song settings available with one click of the foot. If anyone has the patience to help a beguinner I would greatly appreciate it.  

Re: setting up a fbv MKII shortboard
by fflbrgst on 2011-12-28 05:19:18

Which Spider amp are you using?  The best place to start is with the equipment manuals.  You can get copies of them here:  http://line6.com/support/manuals/

Bank - a group of channel presets  (1 bank has 4 channels)

Channel - a location where a patch is stored

Patch - a particular tone, including all the settings that make that tone

MIDI - Musical Instrument Digital Interface  - this is the industry standard for sending signals betwen electronic instruments and software (it is not the same as digitized audio).  If you are just using an DBV controller and an amp, MIDI does not come into play.

by oldbikedude on 2011-12-28 12:18:17

First off, thanks for replying. The amp is a spyder jamm. Would the term for a song preset on the amp be a patch?

by fflbrgst on 2011-12-29 05:47:07

Here's the link for the advanced Spider Jam manual, which deals mostly with the recording features:  http://l6c.scdn.line6.net/data/l/0a0600726998490212ba88448/application/pdf/Spider%20Jam%20Advanced%20Guide%20(Rev%20B)%20-%20English.pdf

Here's the easy manual:  http://l6c.scdn.line6.net/data/l/0a0600724a334af318bd2fcd4/application/pdf/Spider%20Jam%20Pilot's%20Guide%20(Rev%20H)%20-%20English.pdf

A preset channel is the location that a patch is stored in.

by oldbikedude on 2011-12-29 12:46:10

Thanks for the links. I have seen them. It looks like my computer sees the fbv as a audio device but the Monkey doesn't recognize it.

by fflbrgst on 2011-12-29 13:01:30

Ok, you will see lots of threads here with the same problem ( I had it too). 

Try different USB port; disconnecting all other USB devices, turning off any firewall/anti-virus software.

What worked for me was using a different computer - Monkey with Vista would not recognize the FBV (but Spider Edit does), so I ended up using a laptop running XP.

by oldbikedude on 2011-12-29 13:28:38

I am running windows 7. Hard to believe this hasn't  been fixed.

by oldbikedude on 2011-12-29 13:58:25

Sooo, if I get it to connected.................. to assign metal man setting from my spider jam amp to switch "D" what command do I choose (bank change, program change, MIDI CC, MMC, or Mackie)?  What value do I choose, what port, what switch mode etc.?

by fflbrgst on 2011-12-30 05:11:38

First. when you say 'switch D' - that is the switch on the FBV - you do not save tones on the amp with the FBV, you do it from the amp itself or from Spider Edit.

OK, if 'Metal Man' patch is already in the amp, first call up that tone from presets.

Then go to page 2-2 of the 'easy' user manual (link above) and follow the instructions - it won't let me copy-and-paste the whole instruction here.

If the 'Metal Man' tone is at customtone.com, then with the amp connected via the FBV to your computer, download the tone from customtone.com to your computer, then select that tone with Spider Edit and just drag and drop it into the Jam user preset location.

by oldbikedude on 2011-12-30 15:23:57

Thanks for your help  I did figure it out after my last post. Once I realized I must 1st save the settungs in "user presets" I understood the "bank" thing. Thanks again.

by Line6david on 2012-01-05 11:31:45

Hi,

Glad to hear that everything is resolved. I'm going to mark this thread answered.

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.