These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Can I use PodFarm 1.03 as a VST in Reaper?
by fflbrgst on 2012-01-03 09:00:47

I've had a GuitarPort for years, it came with Gearbox, and I d/l the free version of Podfarm and have used it ever since to record guitar into an external digital recorder.

Now I'm trying to use PodFarm as a VST in reaper, but when I select it, I get a message that I need to 'connnect authorized Line 6 hardware' or use license manager.

Well, the Line 6 website was all messed up over the weekend, so got nowhere with that - and as I don't have a licensed Podfarm, only the free version, the license manager doesn't recognize it.

Re: Can I use PodFarm 1.03 as a VST in Reaper?
by BigChas52 on 2012-01-03 09:05:17

The free version of POD Farm 1.x will only work as a stand alone program, and not as a VST, unless you have purchased a license for it.  Line 6 no longer sells POD Farm 1.x licenses, although the downloads are still available for those who already own the license.  They have been replaced by POD Farm 2.5.

http://line6.com/store/podfarm/guitarport

by fflbrgst on 2012-01-03 10:23:51

Thanks.     Doubly screwed!  (I missed out on the free PodFarm offer when buying Spider IV because I bought mine back in July.)

Wondering if I can use (stand alone) PodFarm inputting from my Guitarport, then using the audio out to my Mackie USB interface to Reaper - probably not as this would be two USB 'soundcard' devices operating at one time.

Edited to add:  Maybe I can select GuitarPort as my input device in Reaper, and if I have Podfarm going, I can record the audio from it?  Not as good as a VST, but better than nothing.

by BigChas52 on 2012-01-03 10:54:17

Yes, you can still use your GuitarPort running through POD Farm as an audio input for Reaper.  I would use the ASIO drivers.  What you are missing is the ability to use the VST to "re-amp" a dry recorded track.

by fflbrgst on 2012-01-03 12:54:16

Thanks for the answer(s)!  I used PodFarm for all the electric guitar and bass tracks on my first CD, and love using the dual tone feature for bass - I put a Rock Bass sound on one channel and SubSonic on the second side and mix them separately.

by fflbrgst on 2012-01-06 05:46:09

As a follow-up for anyone else trying to do this.

It was easy to select the Guitarport as the 'input device' in Reaper.  Problem with monitoring - latency.  Buffer settings in Reaper did nothing to reduce the latency to a useable time lag.  I could have monitored by plugging headphones into the Guitarport, I guess, but this would not have worked well when monitoring a track already recorded while monitoring the input for a new track as there is no way to adjust the incoming USB signal level on the Guitarport.

Instead, I ran the audio out from the Guitarport into my audio interface and used that to monitor both the Guitarport/Podfarm sound AND the recorded tracks.  The only difference from using the interface as the sound source for Reaper, is I am selecting Guitarport as the input device, leaving the interface as the output device..

Message was edited by: fflbrgst when a better solution was found!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.