These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Annoying hum and hiss on Line Outs when USB cable is plugged into HD500.
by saTa on 2012-01-04 05:06:38

Hey there,

I just set out to record some guitars and noticed a very annoying hum and hiss across all patches (see attached file)... First, naturally, I blamed my Telecaster's single-coil but even switching to the PRS and eventually removing the guitar cable completely did not fix the issue. After 2 hours of mucking around, I removed the USB-cable from the HD500 and the noise was gone.

I then unplugged all other USB-devices (hard drive, even mouse) and made the HD500 the ONLY device on the USB, directly connected to my computer but still, the noise was there. I pulled the cable from the computer and the noise was STILL there. The only way to get rid of it is removing the USB-cable from the HD500 - even if the other end is not plugged in, it will cause that annoying noise.

My setup is as follows:

Macbook Pro (2009), dual-core intel 2,66GHz, 8GB RAM

POD HD500 Line-Outs going into M-Audio FireWire 1814

Using the HD500 as my sound card is not an option as I have different monitoring setups hooked up to my audio interface.

Anyone else get this? Any fixes? I'd like to use HD Edit to tweak sounds when recording but it seems I have to crawl around on the floor instead...

Re: Annoying hum and hiss on Line Outs when USB cable is plugged into HD500.
by phil_m on 2012-01-04 08:09:56

It's a ground loop caused from connecting the 1/4" outs on the HD500 to the M-Audio interface. It's pretty common when you have a USB connection and an analog connection in use at the same time. Sometimes unplugging the power cord from the laptop will help, but not always. This noise happens when people try to connect the HD500 to a computer and amp at a same time usually, too.

I guess the simplest workaround is to just disconnect the USB cable when you're actually recording. Or another thing you could try is using the S/PDIF output on the HD500 to go into the 1814.

by ChrisRT on 2012-01-04 08:24:07

But he still gets hum when the cable is disconnected from the computer.

Id have to initially hope its the USB cable.

by phil_m on 2012-01-04 08:45:48

It could be the cable, I suppose. Any chance you're (the original poster) using a USB cable without a filter choke (the little barrel piece near the end of the cable) on it?

by saTa on 2012-05-08 15:14:34

Hello,

sorry for not re-visiting this thread. I proceeded as has been suggested by unplugging the USB when actually recording. So far, this is the only working fix.

I've tried different USB-cables and I'm not sure, it might be better with one of four I've tried but only slightly.

Thanks for the input, guys.

by fallofparadise on 2012-05-08 22:41:07

I know this sounds silly as hell but it works! I had the same issue and someone on the forum helped me with this. All you have to do is go to Walmart or something and but a couple of ground adapters...you know the three prong into two prong wall adapters. It got rid of all of the noise for me with anything I used through usb while using monitors. They sell these special ones for like 60 dollars but the basic ones for a few dollars work just as well...

by Brion_Kean on 2012-05-13 18:25:54

Yup. I absolutely, 100% have exactly this same issue. It hums when plugged into ANY outboard amplifier from the 1/4" outs on the HD500, whilst the USB cable is attached.

HOWEVER. I do have ONE amp, which causes zero hum to happen. It's an older, CBS, Paul Rivera designed, Fender 'Studio Lead' - with a (by design) 2 prong power plug.

Which supports the notion that the hum is from a ground loop. To help you, I realize this, is not much use, if you don't have such an ungrounded by design amp!

For what it worth, anyhow

Good Luck! (I bought mine used off craigslist for $90)

Power amp in on the back of the amp, sounds amazing.

Of course Guitar Center adds $200 to the price... Bastards!!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-FENDER-STUDIO-LEAD-USA-MADE-COMBO-107342102-i2314040.gc

href="http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-FENDER-STUDIO-LEAD-50W-GTR-AMP--USA-MADE--042312-107679984-i2489078.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=1343580061">http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-FENDER-STUDIO-LEAD-50W-GTR-AMP--USA-MADE--042312-107679984-i2489078.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=1343580061

by danp207 on 2012-07-21 12:21:57

Fallofparadise,

Thank you so much. I cannot believe how well that worked. There is ZERO hum/buzz on any of the inputs and outputs.

Unbelievable!

by jimsreynolds on 2012-07-22 02:23:35

An alternatvie is to rig a custom USB cable.  May be worth trying if you have a spare ...

One suggestion I read was that you cut the cables

• GND (black) and
  • +5V (red)

to totally decouple the soundcard power connection. The two data lines are enough to communicate.

Personally I would just try the black one first and see how you get on.

I suggest this because in some cases ground lift adapters on the power are not really safe.  The ground channel is what stops the current going through you when there is a fault in the equipment.  Not all gear needs it but if in doubt, I would avoid.   Definitely avoid with tube amps !

by Octo777 on 2012-07-22 06:28:58

I too get this and Ground Loop Hum as stated previously is a very common issue and not one that is Line 6 Specific.

That said, the extra noise I get is actually quite quiet, but not ideal for recording and so when I'm recording I use my headphones instead, which I prefer anyway.

Anytime I have to play through an amp using the 1/4" jacks I just unplug the USB.

Done and done.

by MadYarpen on 2012-07-23 01:27:13

I have similar hum, but I play only on headphones. Only thing that helps is taking away computer power cable. I guess it is because my computer isn't grounded. Sometimes it is really annoying:(

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.