These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

After calibration, volume pedal is way too sensitive
by btpentland on 2012-01-04 09:40:00

I just purchased a Floor Pod Plus.  As a long-time POD 2.0 user, I upgraded mainly for the built-in volume pedal.  After following the instructions in the manual (which I see repeated here in the FAQs and on-line knowledge base), the volume pedal is FAR too sensitive.   It is fully off in the "heel" position, but then the slightest movement (maybe 1/8", a tiny fraction of full travel) and it goes to full gain.  So there is no difference in volume for 90% of range of motion.

Suggestions? 

Re: After calibration, volume pedal is way too sensitive
by malenfant on 2012-01-04 14:40:32

I raised a similar issue http://line6.com/support/thread/77407?tstart=30

I ended up "cheating" the calibration a little by not actually putting it all the way down in the heal position.  That moved the bite-point north a bit but it's still way too abrupt from my tastes.

It's like what you might get on crybaby where the pot had the wrong taper...

...well sorry I can't solve it for you but maybe it's something to know this is a common feature to the model and not a specific fault on your unit or mine.

I hope you get to grips with it.

by btpentland on 2012-01-05 13:50:04

Thanks, I think I saw that thread.   I like your phrase "bite-point" and the idea of the pot having the wrong taper.  That sounds like exactly the same issue.  It's more like a volume switch than a volume pedal.  It is extremely difficult to get a gradual "swell" in volume -- impossible in a live situation, I would think.

I downloaded the vyzex software (sp?) and I'm going to try that.  If it doesn't work,or if the Line 6 support people can't resolve it somehow,  I will quite likely return it.  As currently configued, it is basically non-functional. 

by Line6Hugo on 2012-01-11 18:03:49

You can try adjusting how you calibrate it using malenfant's suggestion.  Hope you can find a happy medium that works for you.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by btpentland on 2012-01-14 18:56:53

I have tried using the Vyzex editing software for the Floor Pod.  The software works fine, but does not solve the problem with the volume pedal.  In fact, it shows very clearly how severe the problem with volume pedal is.  Regardless of the settings, the gain goes from 0 to 100% in two huge jumps, each of which is nearly instantaneous. 

So the pedal is basically just a switch.   Certainly this can't be how it is designed to work.

So I wonder if Line 6 has a fix for this?   Is this a software problem or a hardware problem?  Should I return this?  Is there a different product that works?

by malenfant on 2012-01-16 15:15:34

>Certainly this can't be how it is designed to work.

I suspect that's pretty much the situation.  But being generous designing a pedal to act as both a decent wah and volume control must be quite tricky.  Wah pedals typically have different types of taper than volume pedals.  There's a decent engineering challenge there in overcoming the fact that they are fundamentally different beasts...  I'm no sure how the crybaby with combined volume and wah does it or whether that works any better.  It seems to have patchy reviews.

Maybe a higher end device would work optically and emulate the different response curves in software.  Ultimatley someone had to make a decision between building an uber-complex high end pedal versus building a more compromised one on a budget.

It's a shame that none of the reviewers seem to have mentioned this though.

by Line6Don on 2012-01-25 17:46:24

Make sure to follow these calibration instructions:

- Hold toe-switch on VOL/WAH and power unit.  The display will read ?PC? (Pedal calibration) and then ?000?.

- With the pedal at toe-position, hit the ?A? button.  The display will show 100

- With the pedal at the Heel-position, hit the ?B? button.  The display will show ?100?

- Press footswitch C to read the numeric values.  Press pedal-toe switch on and observe lights around effects encoder, which will reveal the pedal position.

- Press and hold tap switch for 2 seconds to save calibration.

The pedal does not have that large of physical sweep to it so you have to get accustomed to it.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.