These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Can a Variax 500 neck be installed onto a Variax 300?
by hurrells on 2012-01-05 11:43:23

Hello.

I am contemplating buying my first variax 300 and I have access to a competent luthier who would do the work.

One of the options available to me is a spare variax 500 neck.

My question is can a variax 500 neck fit onto a variax 300?

1. Is it possible to do this?

2. Is there any great benefit or risk to doing this?

Thanks

Steve

Re: Can a Variax 500 neck be installed onto a Variax 300?
by TheRealZap on 2012-01-05 12:54:24

changing the neck shouldn't be any particular problem... no variax electronics there....

i'd ask your luthier this question though....

most of them will make anything happen for the right money....

by hurrells on 2012-01-05 18:40:30

Thanks for the response. Yes, for the right $$$ I'm sure he would. ;-)

Anyways, I was hoping that somebody either had both of these Variaxae (plural?) around and could look at:

- The general shape and height of the neck pocket.. Some (1) posts on the internet say they are exactly the same.

- The layout of the bolts. Specifically, do they have the same pattern? No pictures on the internet of the 500.

A person (eg: music store employee, Line6 staff) should be able to tell alot just by eyeballing the two items.

I have acess to a Variax 300 and a top end Variax JT which is not the same thing at my local store.

Take a tape measure to them. Take a picture from the top, back and sides if possible.

I also have access to a few squier necks so I may go that route like so many others....

Cheers

STephen

by TheRealZap on 2012-01-06 06:14:53

good luck, sounds like a decent project....

if i had a 500 i'd take a look... but i only have the 600/JTV59

by amx05462 on 2012-01-06 09:20:57

with a  pro at hand  you can put any neck you want  on that body.. personally   id  go with  your favorite   fender  neck.    the strat neck should   drop in.   he will be checking  your    nut to   saddle  length   to  correctly set  that   in.   there  isnt  as  much to it as  you may think....

i  did these  measurments   last year      and  the  strat neck was a drop in. somewhere  back in all the  posts   those   measurments  are  posted..

the  advantage  to  the 500 neck vs  the  300.    i think its  just personal preference..   do you want  a  gibson feel or  a  fender  feel..  the   necks  are  based  on that  in my opinion..   i see no  advantage    of  3  on a side  tuners   or  6  on one  side..  i think they  went to  6 on a side  with the  300  because  it completed  the  strat look rather  than look like a mungrel  guitar..     i think  you might want  to try  some  other  fender  necks  before  settling  on a  squire  neck..   but   even the  squire  neck is an up grade..  i never  liked  the  neck on  my 300..  too thick and  clunky.

by hurrells on 2012-03-01 07:42:06

Hello.

I wanted to report that the Variax neck transplant was a success.

The V600? neck fit perfectly on the V300 and the black grover heads look great.

The work, as well as fixing my "analog cuts out" solder problem cost about 3 hrs work.

Thanks for everybody's responses.

STeve

by amx05462 on 2012-03-03 14:15:25

well thats   most likely due  to the  600  being  a 300  with  a tremelo.   anyhow      enjoy

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.