These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Any word on a fix for error 80007104 when updating firmware
by dam1975 on 2012-01-07 15:30:32

I was an early adopter of the Pod HD desktop, and I'm still running Firmware 1.0.  Tried to get everything updated today, but the firmware updater quits with error 80007104 before it can finish backing up my tones, and the install fails. 

I'm running the newest drivers (7.1.3) and the latest version of the Line 6 Monkey (1.5) on an Intel Mac Pro running OS 10.6.8, 14 gb RAM.  The Pod is plugged directly into the Mac Pro, not a hub.  I've tried rebooting the Mac Pro and turning the Pod HD on and off--still get the error.  I've also tried downgrading the drivers to 5.X, but that didn't do anything. 

I really want to preserve the tones I've created over the past 6 months or so.  I can back them up by hand to HD Edit, but I feel like I'm losing some of the details buried in the settings, and there's no way to test out the tones on the HD Edit until I can get it to play nice with the Pod HD--but it works only with firmware 1.01 and higher.  I tried installing a prior version of HD Edit, but I couldn't get it to install properly, despite the installer claiming that installation was successful.

Any ideas? 

Re: Any word on a fix for error 80007104 when updating firmware
by line9999 on 2012-01-08 04:24:09

I also encountered the same condition.

The solution is as follows.

The driver of MONKEY and POD is deleted first.

And MONKEY of an old version is installed.

Never don't use the newest version.

Moreover, it cannot update to the newest MONKEY.

And update firmware using old MONKEY.

Then, it completes.

by juhh on 2012-01-08 04:34:37

Looks like a common problem (see the older topics).

Line6, where are you!?!?!?!

Do something!

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-01-08 04:44:21

This is usually a sign that the POD cannot communicate MIDI information transfer in a timely manner for one reason or another.

It can happen with Mac OS or Windows and is often due to either the way the computer and POD are connected or to other software or devices on the computer interrrupting good communication between computer and POD

Definitely back up your custom presets by hand before updating your POD's firmware

1. Make sure you have a good USB cable in use
  2. Make sure you are connecting the POD directly to a USB 2.0 port on the computer - for desktop systems, you should find rear USB ports more reliable than front ports (these might use an internal generic hub)
  3. Do NOT use any kind of generic USB hub to connect your POD
  4. Make sure you have the latest drivers properly installed on your computer for your POD
  5. Disable or disconnect non essential USB devices
  6. Try temporarily disabling anti malware software
  7. Try updating your POD in TEST/SAFE mode (for the HD desktop/500/Pro hold down the Right button on the 4 way Nav Pad as you power up)
  8. Do not opt to keep your existing patches (you should already have these backed up on your computer anyway

Nick

by Line6Hugo on 2012-01-16 16:59:20

This is a known bug with Monkey 1.50.

When the update asks if you would like to save presets, select 'NO' and continue with the update.  This should resolve the issue.

Or, you can download and use Monkey 1.43 and update from there to the latest.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-17 06:29:29

When the update asks if you would like to save presets, select 'NO' and continue with the update.  This should resolve the issue.

Just understand that by doing this you will overwrite your presets.  If you want to keep them, and have not backed them up, now would be the time to do it ... before you do the firmware update.  Use HD Edit.

by dam1975 on 2012-01-17 06:44:59

Thanks, all--particularly Line9999, whose answer allowed me to update the firmware.

For posterity:

The key here was that I did NOT want to lose my user-created presets.  I had never hooked up to HD Edit, so there was no backup anywhere, and I've been building tones for 7 months or so.  The current version of HD Edit is incompatible with my very old firmware (v1.0).

• Step 1: Used the uninstaller to delete the drivers I had installed (v7.1.3).
  • Step 2: Erased all the Line 6 software (Monkey, Edit, License Keeper, etc.).
  • Step 3: Downloaded and installed the oldest version of Monkey that's posted when you select "Archived" versions of the software (v1.40).
  • Step 4: Used Line6 Monkey to update the Pod HD firmware to the current version, AND KEPT the tones.
  • Step 5: Used Line6 Monkey to install the drivers and HD Edit.
  • Step 6: Used HD Edit to save the tone bundles.
  • Step 7: Sigh of relief.

Incidentally, the updated firmware sounds a lot better to me--glad I updated!

Thanks again!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.