These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Pod HD500 doesn't remeber last patch settings for expression pedal
by Aljosa on 2012-01-08 03:40:04

Hi,

Before I start I would like to say I recently bought HD500 and this unit is really something special. All sounds are just perfect and I am really impressed by the features and all effects.  Well done Line6.

I have very strange problem with my HD500. I have two presets Clean and SOLO.  Clean is just some blackface preamp, SOLO is preset with some distortion and modulated  delays. For SOLO I assigned expression pedal to Wah and Volume.  Volume pedal is assigned to EXP1 with some min and max ranges and Wah is assigned to EXP TOE SWITCH and on EXP2. Default-initial preset state would be Volume pedal on EXP1. When pressing with toeswitch it turns to EXP2 (volume pedal off) and turns on WAH so now I can control wah. This works just fine. But then when I leave SOLO preset in EXP2 mode (Wah) and switch to CLEAN preset and then from CLEAN back to SOLO preset expression pedal is not working properly. It is turned to EXP1 and stays in wah mode which cannot be controled.

So the problem is when switching between two presets it looks like it doesn't remember state for expression pedal of previous preset. I hope you understand my issue. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Aljosa

Re: Pod HD500 doesn't remeber last patch settings for expression pedal
by Aljosa on 2012-01-08 04:20:51

Just one more observation... I assigned Wah and Volume to FS1 and both to EXP1 and in this case everything works perfect. If I left SOLO preset in Wah and then change preset to Clean and back to Solo it will be same state as I left it. I still wonder how this should work on EXP1 and EXP2. I guess there migt be some issue with storing EXP2 state when changing presetes.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-01-08 04:47:58

You must save your patch with the defaults as you want them  - i.e. Wah OFF and Volume ON.  Then next time you recall the patch it will come back the way you want it to.

Nick

by Aljosa on 2012-01-08 07:39:37

I saved it the way like you suggested. Volume is by default ON and Wah is by default off. This is saved in patch called SOLO. I play CLEAN preset and then I switch to my SOLO preset. I turn the Wah on with toe swtich and then I switch back to CLEAN preset (without turning the WAH off). When I get back to SOLO again it will not recall last state I left my SOLO preset. It looks like it doesn't rember that I left WAH on. The pedal is also working wrong.

It works only if I turn the wah back to off and then switch to CLEAN.

by silverhead on 2012-01-08 07:45:49

Aljosa wrote:

I play CLEAN preset and then I switch to my SOLO preset. I turn the Wah on with toe swtich and then I switch back to CLEAN preset (without turning the WAH off). When I get back to SOLO again it will not recall last state I left my SOLO preset. It looks like it doesn't rember that I left WAH on.

This is normal behaviour. When you switch presets the HD reloads the new preset from its stored memory. In other words, it reloads the preset in the state in which it was last SAVED - not the state in which it was left unsaved the last time you used the preset.

Here's what is happening: When you first switch from CLEAN to SOLO, the SOLO preset is loaded in its last-saved state - with WAH off. You then turn the WAH on but you don't save the preset. When you switch back to CLEAN that change is discarded. When you switch back to SOLO it again loads the preset in its last-saved state - with WAH off. All of this is normal behaviour.

by BigChas52 on 2012-01-08 07:46:55

Your settings will go back to what you have programmed, and not the last state.  If you want your SOLO to come up with Wah on all of the time, then creat a separate SOLO_WAH patch that has Wah on by default

by Aljosa on 2012-01-08 08:19:45

Thanks for explanations now I get it. However I find it a little different for foot switches. I noticed that for footswitches (FS1-FS4) it works like I expected that is when I am back to SOLO preset it loads last state and not saved state.

I did workaround with assigning WAH and Volume pedal to FS1 and EXP1. In this case I can toggle between volume and wah (with FS1) and also when I recall SOLO preset I get the state I left this patch. So If I switch wah on with FS1 in SOLO preset and then I call preset Clean and switch back on Solo I get WAH on, just like I left it. In this case it works properly for me. With your explanation of my previous case I guess it works different for expression pedal. Regarding the logic of footswitches I expected to work similar for expresion pedal.  Anyway thanks for making me things clearer.

by Aljosa on 2012-01-09 07:31:20

This is normal behaviour. When you switch presets the HD reloads the new preset from its stored memory. In other words, it reloads the preset in the state in which it was last SAVED - not the state in which it was left unsaved the last time you used the preset.

I am still a little bit confused. I noticed that presets are load not from saved state but from last used state. If you have two presets and switching among them and let say you turn an effect ON and it will be availabe when you will switch back to this preset if you left effect ON. So this means it loads last state and not saved state. For expression pedal it looks like it is working differently - it loads last SAVED state. And if you forgot to turn WAH off it will mess up your preset when switching back. Which is a little bit confusing and you need to restart unit - plug it from supply.

There are two behaviours which might be a little bit confusing.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-09 07:55:07

To be honest I am a little surprised at how this seems to work for you

Normally, when you save a patch it saves the state all of the footswitches (on or off) and forces this setup each time you select that patch.    You seem to be saying that your HD is remembering the state of your footswitches within a patch even when you dont actively save them. That is certainly not normal behaviour.

Out of interest, are you using HD Edit to move around your patches or are you doing everything from the unit without HD Edit loaded?

In terms of your original issue:  one approach is to flip between two amps in a dual amp setup.  You then put the effects you want in the same side of the chain as the amp you want.  DSP exhaustion can definitely be an an issue but, if your setup is reasonably simple, this will preserve the state of your effects within a patch as you flip between tones.

by silverhead on 2012-01-09 08:55:32

I agree with jimsreynolds re: HD Edit vs. HD device itself. If you are using/running the Editor while switching patches then the device may load the most recent state of the preset rather than the last-saved state. That's because the Edit program is storing the most recent state in the edit buffer on your computer, and reatins this while you move between patches.

But the HD device itself does not have this interim edit buffer. When using only the HD device you should not be seeing the behaviour you describe.

by Aljosa on 2012-01-09 09:44:27

Yes of course. Jimsreynolds and Silverhead you are right. I was using HD editor and did not realize the asterisk after name which designates changes in patch and of course now it seems logicaly why I had this behaviour. HD Edit stores last configuration - and acts like each patch is different pedalboard with remembered fx state.

Since I got unit I haven't tried it without HD Edit. Damn my mistake. Ok now it's clear everything. Thanks you guys for explaining me everything you ROCK! I definitely owe you a beer.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.