These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Problems with POD HD 500 and clean tones
by grusso on 2012-01-10 05:49:19

Here is the thing, I bought the unit to replace my Floor POD and since it is my first  big multi effects amp simulator unit I was really happy with it... but now I have noticed that I can't get clean tones, they always get dirt at the top. Even the cleaner amps as blackface or tweed get this kind of digital distortion,

I play a lot of heavy metal music and recently got into jazz so I haven't noticed this issue until now, 10 months since I have the POD...

I tweaked a lot and could not solve the problem. I looked out for similar issues and found some disscussions about the issue. One of them is really long (62 pages), and it seems to be the same problem that I have. But it was closed without an definitive answer because it got untrackleable. Here is the link

http://line6.com/support/thread/54572?start=0&tstart=0

Thequestion is what can I do to know if my unit is bad?

Is it a Hardware or a Software problem?

Any adivices?

Are any LINE 6 official answer to this issue?

Please help!!!!!!!

if you want I cant post audio clips and my settings or patches...

My rig is a Cort M-900 connected to the POD HD 500 and then to the return of a Peavy Studio pro 112

Hope somebody anwers me!!!!!!

Re: Problems with POD HD 500 and clean tones
by arislaf on 2012-01-10 06:43:03

Please post some audio clips, and what version is your HD unit.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-10 08:23:11

Assuming your unit is ok then you might want to try cooling down your input level a bit too.  Looking at the spec for the M900 I see Duncan SH-1 and SH4's fitted.  The SH-4 in particular is pretty hot. 

How are you setting up your input ?   Suggest that you set

Input 1:   Guitar 

Input 2:   Variax

If you are not already.  That will cool down the input a bit.  Also, try using the Pad switch and see if that helps.

Next point is the amp models themselves.  Even the 'clean' amps like the Blackface will dirty up with higher gain  settings.  You may need to back the gain off quite a bit.  Also, try the hiwatt as this stays cleaner at higher gain settings.

by meambobbo on 2012-01-10 13:02:26

Yeah, first make sure your guitar isn't so hot it's causing the unit to clip.  Try the above input suggestions.  Also, try reducing the volume on the guitar using the guitar's volume dial.  Does that clean up the sound?  That's one issue.  If so, you can compensate by lowering the pickup height and/or using the pad switch.  You can also change the input impedance.  Lower values should carry less volume and be less prone to clipping, but they will also sound darker.

Other issues could be signal clipping.  Are you turning up the Pod's "amp volume" control? Or boosting the mixer levels? Are other effects, like EQ's, or the FX loop, boosting the signal?  Try turning off any and all effects, then lower the amp volume knob and see if the sound cleans up.  I like to keep amp volume at about 50% and the mixer levels around 0 db.

Certain effects can also clip, particularly the Parametric EQ, even when fed a signal that isn't hot enough to max out the Pod's signal resolution.  See if turning off effects cleans up the signal.  If so, try to place them at a spot where they're given a lower volume signal, or reduce the gain on a block before that one.

Certain amps' power amp sections can get "crossover" distortion.  I find lowering the "Master Volume" parameter and turning up the "Bias" parameter on these amps will tame this.  Try the same amp's "pre-amp" model and see if the problem is still there.

Finally, make sure you're not clipping external gear.  Turn down the Master knob on the unit to reduce its output volume.  If you're going straight out to a DAW, look at its clip meters if it has them.  If you're using SPDIF, try turning down the SPDIF output levels.

by Line6Tony on 2012-01-10 14:20:29

Jim and bobbo offer some great suggestions. If you are concerned with the HD500 being broken, remove all components but the guitar, amp and HD500. Try different cables, a different guitar and a different amp to eliminate each as a source of the problem. Also try headphones vs. an amp. What you're trying to do is reproduce the problem under various circumstances. If these things don't help, dial in the most simple tone that will reproduce the problem then do the same on a floor model at a store. If the floor model does the same thing. then your unit is not broken. One other thing to try is a reset, after backing up your tones. Let us know how you fare.

by grusso on 2012-01-10 19:48:49

Right know I´m following your guide and writing the results as I experiment.

1      Proved my guitar direct to the amp, NO CLIPPING

2      Proved my guitar connected to the POD and then to the return of my peaystudio pro 112 with the POD in               tuner  mode.   NO CLIPPING 

3      Same conections but with an empty patch. NO CLIPPING 

4      I added a Blackface Dbl Nrm full model. CLIPPING

5      I lowered my mics..... MUCH LESS CLIPPING

By the way I have a Seymor Duncan SH1 in the neck and an SH4 in the bridge

6      Switch from Normal to PAD.... EVEN BETTER

To this point I get only Clipping when I strum hard... I have some fret noise in some places in the neck in this guitar right now and it gets the cliping really gets worst on those points.

7      I tweaked the BIAS.... the worst position is 50%.... Raised to 100 % Got better then to 0 % and here is when I get confused... CERO CLIPING !!!!! But.... it takes away the coolnes of the tone... It sounds... mmmm too bassy, like butter out of the fridge... no body.... ....though it could fit to many situations.. it is not the tone I would like... So I left it around 90 %

8      I turned the master (the one before the sag control)  from 100 % to 50 %   .... Hey!!!!!  LESS CLIPPING

9      Now lets push it... Drive from 36% to 100 % .... aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh distorted!!!!!!  but hey... this might be normal I think... even in the real deal... Am I right? (please answer, it's a sincere question)

10    Drive to 70 % DISTORTED

11    Drive to 50 %   Acceptable

12    Drive to 40 %  here its the good spot!!!!!

The bridge pick up clips more than the neck pick up

Compared to yesterday this is really a good improement.... Your suggestions really helped me!!!!

I managed the volume with the mixer....

I have to try using effects to raise the volume

I will let you know!!!!

I hae to try other guitar.... tomorrow I´m getting my new Ibanez RG 1550!!!!!

by grusso on 2012-01-10 19:52:43

By the way... thanks for the quick and helpfull answer to all of you

by Line6david on 2012-01-13 10:35:38

Hi,

Sounds like you are getting there. What is the specific patch you are tweaking? Can you post the patch so we can check it out?

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

by Line6david on 2012-01-20 14:17:19

Hello. It has been at least 72 hours since we've heard from you. We're going to assume your question has been answered. If it has been answered, please award points to whoever was helpful and/or answered the question.

In the event your issue has not been resolved, I created a support ticket for you so we can continue to communicate. Please respond to the ticket. Thanks!!

Q: What is a support ticket?

A: A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link to the ticket when a Line 6 Support Representative responds to it. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support. Also, in your account, click My Account, then click Support Tickets to view the support ticket. Here’s a shortcut: http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/.

Pleasenote: Sometimes support tickets will be filtered to spam and junk folders. If you did not receive an email from us indicating that a ticket has been created, please make sure to check those folders in your email host, and also that your email account is receiving messages at all.

by grusso on 2012-01-25 16:31:43

Here is a copy of the patch...

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/217033/

Ihave learned how to work myself arun the issue... but What is real is that there isn´t a pure clean tone that can be used to the same levels of volume that distorted ones... I have also tried with the new Ibanez I bought... and I get quite the same results... perhaps a little less distorsion but still there.

I don´t know is this issue is something on porpouse... like it happens in the real amps or is just a little problem of soft/ hardware...

I doubled checked all my equiptment, and everything seems to be OK...

For know I can play at home quite OK.

But the diffrence between levels of volume of distorted vs clean is very important... I know that I can always decrease the level of distorted sounds to get them close to the cleans volumes... but... hey... I don´t think that is something guitar players want to do...

Perhaps this can be improved in next firmwares... Is that posible?

Another great solution would be a Roland Jazz Chorus Simulation

Some other user taught me a few tricks to get more clean volume... and told me to get used to it... but I insist this is not a cheap pedalboard, I don´t feel like looking the other way is an option in a high quality product of a high quality company like Line 6.

Sorry because all these days without news... I have been working real hard!!!

My apologies

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.