These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: GearBox

Gearbox 3.72 will not let me access my "Gold" Presets
by lecatomedia on 2012-01-11 08:54:06

I recently installed my Gearbox Gold with Toneport DI on a new Windows 7 machine to use with my Sonar X1 Producer.

The install went fine, everything works...but I can't access the additional presets that come with Gold (Collector, Etc).

I verified through Gearmonkey the latest version (3.72), and I ran the License Manager and made sure the PC and the DI were both authorized, they are.

I thought I had solved it when I saw the Gold tone packs listed as needing to be authorized, so I attempted to, but it hung for awhile and came back and said the process was not accomplished.

When I tried again, it showed my DI unauthorized...so I started over with fresh installs.

Now the additional presets or tonepacks for the Gold are grayed out.

I still can't access them in Gearbox, with the dialog box suggesting a substitute or suggesting I purchase additional tone packs.

Help ?

Re: Gearbox 3.72 will not let me access my "Gold" Presets
by TheRealZap on 2012-01-11 10:01:56

gearbox plugin is no longer supported... that could be the issue... since it was not updated to use the license manager....

you should qualify for a free upgrade to pod farm version 1.

the tones are the same, just a different interface... still uses all the same tone files etc.

you can get it here:

http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=3143">http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=3143">http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=3143

by BigChas52 on 2012-01-11 10:28:15

Actually, while technically unsupported, if you have the Gold DI, GearBox should still work fine as long as the DI remains USB connected.  I have both the software and hardware versions of GearBox plug-in and they both work fine.  It also shows up as authorized in License Manager.

I am thinking it may be an issue with your installation.  What OS are you running it on?  I know lots of folks are having trouble with the newer Mac OS.

by BigChas52 on 2012-01-11 10:36:05

Oops, just noticed that you are running Win 7.  Do a complete uninstall of ALL Line 6 software, including deleting the directories.  Make sure you save any custom presets you need first.  Then download Monkey and download GearBox.  Install them both, but do not allow GearBox to reinstall the drivers (Monkey will have newer ones).  Follow ALL directions carefully. Let us know how you make out.

For the record, I believe you are also eligible for POD Farm 1.12  you might want to give that as spin as well.  You'll still need to install GearBox to get the "Gold" presets.

by lecatomedia on 2012-01-11 11:31:19

How do I delete the directories ? I don't have any custom presets to save.

by BigChas52 on 2012-01-11 12:50:39

Delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Line 6

Delete the "Line 6" directory in your "Documents" folder

Don't do this until after the uninstall.  The uninstall may do some of this for you.

by lecatomedia on 2012-01-11 13:17:47

Cool, thanks.

by lecatomedia on 2012-01-11 17:42:37

One thing I notice that points to this being strictly an authorization issue, is that those presets are sitting right there in the folder...my install is fine, but my hardware is not being authorized to access them...it just won't take ?

by BigChas52 on 2012-01-11 17:46:59

Even if your HW is not authorized you can see them and even try to load them, but if the models in the presets aren't authorizes the load will fail.

Did you try the uninstall/reinstall and then try License manager again?  Can you post a screen shot of the License Manager screen?  The one for your TonePort DI, not the one for your computer.

by lecatomedia on 2012-01-11 19:09:32

Did the uninstall and reinstall as instructed...same thing.  Here's the screenshot you wanted...Gearbox screenshot.jpg

by BigChas52 on 2012-01-11 19:19:58

Sorry, screenshot didn't come through.  Been seeing a lot of image problems on this forum lately.

Is your TonePort DI registered on the Line 6 web site to your current user account?  That could be an issue.  Unfortunately, without being able to see a screen shot, I'm totally out of ideas.

by lecatomedia on 2012-01-11 20:05:20

When I go to my account, the TP DI Gold shows up, so I assume the user account is correct. The hanging point seems to be when the license manager attempts to update the hardware, it just hangs and eventually displays the dialog box, saying the hardware couldn't be updated. The screenshot shows the hardware as being enabled.

by BigChas52 on 2012-01-12 06:00:11

And you have clicked on the DI Gold link (on the left hand side), and not left it on the computer link, right?

Sounds like either a poor USB connection, or a poor internet connection.  Try unplugging any additional USB devices.  What kind of internet connection do you have?  I've heard slow, and satellite connections can be problematic.

Deauthorize your DI and try authorizing it again.

by lecatomedia on 2012-01-12 06:35:31

Yep, tried both computer and the DI...both are authorized.  The USB connection seems fine from the respect that I'm operating low latency midi through it, and have recorded some guitar tracks with great success...I just can't get the gold content.

I have reasonably fast DSL connection, that hasn't proven problematic in any other area (I stream video all the time)...and as far as USB connections go, I've even tried several different USB connections on the machine.  (which BTW is a new Dell XPS i7).  I'll keep plugging away, but any revelations would be appreciated !

by BigChas52 on 2012-01-12 07:09:16

I just figured someting out, your're not missing presets; you're missing models.  Terminology threw me off.

Here are a couple more things to try.

1.  Install POD Farm 1.12  and see if you can see the missing models in PF.  Your Gold DI also gives you a PF1 license.

2.  Can you try sending the screen cap to me as an attachment in a private message?

by BigChas52 on 2012-01-12 07:10:59

Oh, and when you check in Monkey, are all of your drivers running at the latest levels?

by lecatomedia on 2012-01-12 13:36:16

I'll check on the above when I get home from work to my studio machine.  Thanks for hanging with me.

by lecatomedia on 2012-01-12 18:47:10

All drivers are up to date. I loaded Pod Farm 1.12 and the gold presets won't access there either.  It seems to be the hardware, I can't access the DI from the context of authorizing new content.  I try to deauthorize the DI, and it hangs up there too.  Now I get a status of deauthorization pending, but I can't remove the content from the DI as instructed.  The error message at the bottom says hardware data is corrupt ?  Is there a hard reset for the DI ?

by lecatomedia on 2012-01-12 20:37:06

Update...I moved Toneport DI away from the computer , disconnected audio cables, and was able to deauthorize, reauthorize, and ultimately access the additional model packs in the license manager.  Still got error messages when opening Gearbox to try to access Gold models.  Uninstalled Gearbox, reinstalled.  Now regular models work, but Gold models, I get a DSP failure to load message number 800000000000.

But, I tried PodFarm 1.13 and everything works.

I've got to get used to the new interface, but I guess I'll count my losses and leave it alone ?

by BigChas52 on 2012-01-13 06:03:13

Glad you were at leat able to get it working in POD Farm 1.  BTW, I think you'll like POD Farm.  It also offers that ability to set up dual amp/tone paths, which GearBox does not.  Enjoy

by lecatomedia on 2012-01-13 08:51:26

It was late when I accomplished this hurdle, so I'm not sure...but I thought I detected a bit of a difference in sound between gearbox and podfarm.  Is it assumed the older presets should not be lacking anything when accessed in Podfarm ?

Also, how much of an upgrade is 2.5 if I'm accessing my Gearbox Gold models in Podfarm ?  I would assume there would be alot of repitition between the two for spending another $ 99.00 ?

Thanks for your thoughts and your continued communication, you were a huge help.

by TheRealZap on 2012-01-13 08:55:14

no new sounds/models in 2.5

the benefits:

native 64bit

can be midi controlled

you can use multiples of the same effect

effects chain order can be changed any way you want

you can use the "elements" plugin (a plugin of just a part of podfarm rather than a full instance)

can be used with other interfaces

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.