These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

My favourite chorus on the HD500 .... is the pitch glide!
by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-13 03:25:35

The HD has several chorus models but I found that I get a much nicer quality of chorus using the Pitch glide like so !!

Frequency  = +0.1

Mix = 40%

IMHO this gives you a very nice chorus indeed.  You can also dial up the degree of chorus effect by decreasing the level of the mix control.  Around 20-30% the effect is still there but very subtle, more subtle than I can get with the built in 'real' chorus models.

Experiment also with setting the frequency to +0.2 or +0.3 to get a more extreme chorus setting, more of a detune effect.

If you use the HD knob gently you will find also that there are two 'clicks' marked on the freqency value as 0.0 ... one is actually zero and has no chorus, the other has the effect that you would expect to have on -0.1 !   The lower of the two zeros is actually the one I use most of the time.

I should mention also that I run mono into a power amp and the effect may or may not be great in a stereo context.

Re: My favourite chorus on the HD500 .... is the pitch glide!
by DeanDinosaur on 2012-01-13 04:53:23

Right you are Jim. That's also my favorite corus sound. Furthermore I put two of them 100Left and 100Right. Set between  .1 and .2  and the other to a different number but still in the same range and you will have some amazing stereo detune or corus. Now if you add to that a corus such as the analog corus only on one side you will be in corus/detune heaven.... the nice thing about this stereo sound is that it has no phase issues and sound terrific both on speakers and headphones.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-01-13 05:01:51

Also for an amazing  univibe/Phaser I use the "Frequency Shifter". This one is tricky to get and the trick is:

1-Must put the mix in the middle

2-Use Frequencies between 1hz and 9hz and you will get a very musical effect. I like 3hz and 4hz

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-13 05:04:42

Mine is ... the one on the GT10

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-01-13 05:15:00

If you're talking about the Univibe/Phaser sound, if you haven't tried the "Frequecy shifter"  as explained in my post above, you basically have no idea what I'm talking about. That frquency shifter sound is something that I never heard any other effect do as nicely as the HD500

by killergege on 2012-01-13 06:51:34

I agree that the choruses available today in the POD HD500 are not really satisfying... I prefer the POD X3's analog chorus.

So I'll try your solution, it sounds like a nice idea !

by TheRealZap on 2012-01-13 07:01:28

not arguing the nice idea of this all... in fact i love it...

but it is a fast track to running out of DSP...

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-01-13 09:07:35

You got that right, but I always wondered why line 6 never bothered with a detune effect, it won't be that power hugry if they provide a detune with .2 or .1 of what now is in the Pitch glide. there's a compromise though and that is using the Pitch Vibrato because it sounds  very close to the Pitch Glide (as used for a detune) but no where near as much DSP hunger as the pitch glide.

by TheRealZap on 2012-01-13 09:46:46

its all about compromise... i did the stereo pitch glide shimmer thing here:

http://line6.com/support/message/334770#334770

a">http://line6.com/support/message/334770#334770">http://line6.com/support/message/334770#334770

awhile back... just messing around...

i couldn't run certain full models and had to work with the pre's or couldn't get the spring verb or whatever...

but what i did get was a great tone... and of course i use a midi'd up m5 in the loop... which lets me add DSP expensive effects such as the spring without paying for them on the 500.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-13 11:08:22

I mostly use my HD primarily effects rather than amp models so I haven't been hit by DSP limits.  In fact, I don't think I have ever been hit by DSP unless I use the amp models.  Lucky me !

Dual processor HD Pro at NAMM ?

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-13 11:09:45

Yeah, I tried this one after you suggested it on another thread.  Great Phaser !

by TheRealZap on 2012-01-13 11:13:06

don't think that will happen, since they've made them linkable... they want you to buy 2

by catalano on 2012-01-16 14:09:34

I just listened to your soundclip for your shine patch - very cool!!  I know you were using an HD300 for that, but any chance you could take a screenshot of the HD Edit screen for that patch so I can try to recreate it on the HD500?

Thanks,
CJ

by anglepod on 2012-06-16 00:25:54

So a little confused, the pitch glides like the whammy are not polyphonic, does merely shifting a minute interval like .1 track chords without glitching?

This is an interesting idea. I had forgotten about the detune "chorus" effect on the Whammy. My biggest issue with the Pitch Glide is the controller editor being set at percentage. Bloody impossible to set an expression pedal at a tuned 4th or 5th or anything thereof.

by chimp_spanner on 2012-06-16 08:28:49

I would buy two! In fact has anyone had any experience of using two HD Pro's together? Does patch change time suffer at all on account of MIDI latency?

by TheRealZap on 2012-06-16 17:53:18

Nick Mattocks had quite a bit of experience linking them, sadly he's no longer around to elaborate, but try searching the forums.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-06-17 05:44:55

. My biggest issue with the Pitch Glide is the controller editor being set at percentage. Bloody impossible to set an expression pedal at a tuned 4th or 5th or anything thereof.

The percentage thing is the worst idea or shortcut possible that was implimented in a pedal. When it comes to the controller for most parameters that  I want to controll, the controller is a percentage even when the actual paramter is in HZ or whatever which limits the controller even when I do the correct math, the percentage doesn't traslate to the frequencies I need. I hope someday they will update that (I did put a request)

by Rewolf48 on 2012-06-18 04:57:43

Another alterntive for a big chorus sound that you might want to try is one I discovered while trying to duplicate early David Gilmour sounds by copying his rig at the time:

Place a Leslie (Rotary Drm/Hrn) after the Amp block and reduce the Mix below 50%.

by anglepod on 2012-06-18 14:28:28

I am puzzled at times by the apparent issue that many do not hear the Univibe/Vibe sound on many of Gilmour's classic tunes like Breath.

It is not a chorus and while a Leslie was used to great effect by several bands of that period, I remember Dave going on about the vibe sound and having the circuit removed and installed in his master floor control panel. I am not sure one can get the internal Vibe model to sound really good as I have not messed with it that much. I prefer my DejaVibe and run that before the POD. Never have been happy with the sound on the effects loop, one reason I do not attempt to rig it into my main amp. For several issues, one I do not think this unit is all that great just to use as a effects processor, and dropping to mono loses quite a bit of sonic landscape the stereo pan and dual amp thing affords.

I tried the POD chorus pitch glide which indeed makes for a nice sounding chorus similar to the detune chorus on the Whammy but it tends to sound really good on clean tones, on heavier gains it tends to sound very flangey. Does do very well on cleans and I would have to agree the movement and sweep sounds better than some of the models. The Dimension D model sounds pretty good on the first band and not the default 4th it has set up. There does not seem to be a great stereo chorus although from info I have found most of the modulations are deemed "stereo preserving".

Here is the deal w me and my desire to use the POD as a part of my main gear. I am not going to wait a year for the next update, which largely goes unmentioned as to what it fixes or adds. There are things I need modified on the unit that more experienced players have need. We are all not neophite teenagers fasinated by "sounds-like" presets of plug and play myth. There are really precious few effects on the unit as an experienced player I find useable and while I do like the pitch glide effect, that percentage thing needs to go as I need intervals of exact tuning and that is that. A slight off of even .1% is enough to sound grossly out of tune.

I sufered this issue when at first being excited about the new TC toneprint downloadable pedals, seemed like a marvelous idea and potential. And we waited  and waited for the public release of the editor to be able to customize our own pedals to our own rigs and sounds. It never came and obviously TC wanted to keep tossing "hero" presets at the users under the really malformed notion that one is going to sound like someone. So long story, I hope the HD POD with all its potential and superb amp models does not fail off my list and I return back to my better effects pedalboard. I realize it is only $500 and one gets a lot in there for the bucks, but a lot of poorly param'd effects does not really do it for those of us who have years of experience.

So does Line6 pay attention to its user suggestions or does it dismiss them as the wants of ignorant teenagers. Most of use have submitted lists of intelligent needed fixes to the unit which are nominal fixes that could be done with a simple 0.1 or .2 fix update. As well as suggesting some better ideas for effect models, less and better. Like perhaps a KLON Centaur based overdrive, an ISP decimator type noise reduction, and lose the more crappy "classic" little pedals that were never that great to begin with. I like the amp models on this unit and not so much the effects, a good deal of them are just not useful, some are great but no way I am patching this unit into my uber tube amp head to run mono and use the POD effects loop while not really being able to make use of the amp models. My tube head needs no amp models. I designed a new rig to make full use of the HD amp potentials and indeed it has held my expectations in that regard. But a few minor tweaks are nagging on me to return to my board. In the past months I have ontinually added pedals in front of the unit that the internals just cannot match. But that is limiting not being able to place them in a better flow order.

So is Line 6 listening or is their market directive targeted at the beginner neophtye teen? Time will tell but for some of who really do love the potential of the unit the clock is ticking. Guitarists in general have an insatiable appetite for tone and not much patience, I need 4ths and 5ths on my expression pedals or I start looking to the new improved Whammy once again.

by phil_m on 2012-06-18 14:40:09

I don't know... I think there's a huge continuum of players between "neophyte teenage" and picky veteran - namely not-so picky veteran who wants to sound good, but doesn't obsess over his tone that much. For the lead singer of my band, for instance, the HD500 actually gave him too many options as far as effects. What ended up working for him was the Zoom G3 and a Fender amp. It does everything he wants for the moment.

I just think that for people like yourself, you could probably find something you don't like in any multi-fx unit. I'm not saying there's not room for improvement. I just think that expecting to have all these needs met by one piece of gear isn't realistic. My main live rig consists of the M13 combined with other boutique pedals. I use the M13 for what I think it does best. That is main the delays, verbs, and mods in synced way. As it stands, there aren't many products on the market that let you take two independent delays, a filter, and a tremolo and have them all perfectly synced up. So I exploit the gear for its strengths rather than focus on its weak points.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.