These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Suggested power amp for using POD HD live
by KurtisBrudenell on 2012-01-16 10:46:43

So, my POD HD live comes tomorrow, and i'm going to be selling my Peavey Valve king to gather some money to get a decent power amp..,

My question is, what power amp should I get? I have no idea.
I know the POD HD has no signal amplification to it so I will need a power amp to drive. I would prefer a tube model but I know they can be pretty expensive.

Re: Suggested power amp for using POD HD live
by laplayantonio on 2012-01-25 04:40:58

hello

f.ex., Atomic are specialized in amps for modellers: http://www.atomicamps.com/products.htm

otherwise, any power amp with full-range speakers will do also well

line6antonio

by guitars69 on 2012-01-26 13:47:55

Pick up a used Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 and use the effects loop return for your power amp.  It's 100W, tube, and you can even use the Master Volume on stage instead of your Pod.  Works like a charm!

Plus, if you get the newer one (mkii), you can use MIDI to control the head and use a completely different patch from the floorboard vs the head.  That might be nice to get a good mix for the soundguy while having your stage setup tuned for live use.

by meambobbo on 2012-01-26 14:14:04

I've always heard the VHT/Fryette 2:50:2 or 2:90:2 are the best guitar power amps you can buy.  I'm not sure if they're good for full-range sound or not, but I would assume so.  They're designed to be run into guitar speaker cabs, so you'd use the cab with "stack power amp" output mode.  You could potentially run them with the Pod's cab/mic emulation on, running into full range speakers; but I can't vouch for what it would sound like.

Other good guitar-centric options are the Mesa/Boogie 2:90 or for the older and cheaper model Mesa/Boogie 2:95 (also called Simul 295).  The 2:90 has a few added voicing features - I believe one extends the bass range, and another is designed to "tighten" the sound.  I own a 2:95 and have loved it for years, except for its size.

by KurtisBrudenell on 2012-02-29 11:54:00

Cheers guys!
What you've all suggested is helping me close in on my desired power amp

by jimsreynolds on 2012-02-29 12:55:32

Worth checking out the Rocktron Velocity too if you don't mind solid state. 

by mulambo on 2013-01-31 17:22:49

I have the mesa 2:90, but im having some confusion to how to hook it up together.  I wanna try out the deep, modern and 1/2 settings, but I don't know how to use them.  I am hoping i can find some way to use it, im curious as to how much difference it would make to my tones.  Help Please! lol

by JimKidd on 2013-01-31 18:49:43

Line6 DT50 or DT25

by meambobbo on 2013-01-31 19:06:22

It's a stereo power amp. You can run a mono signal from the pod to either side for a straight mono tone into a single cab. Or You run stereo out from the pod into each side and can output each side to its own speaker cab to get stereo sound. I believe the voicing switches do what you'd think they'd do and there's no trick to using them other than flipping them on

by dbagchee on 2013-02-04 16:22:22

I'd keep the Valve King and just run the Pod into it's FX loop return! At least give it a shot before you sell it off for something else. I run mine into the return of a Mesa Stiletto and it sounds great.

by dbagchee on 2013-02-04 16:23:21

Just realized my reply is a year too late...doh!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.