These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

usb problem that turned into power supply(?)\
by hoshiro on 2012-01-17 10:28:06

last week I went into the local distributor and asked them to fix my pod x3l, it had just two problems

a)the usb input wasn't as-new I mean. it worked but because it didn't have the plastic thingy on it and the 4 copper "wires" weren't straight i wanted to fix it (so i can sell the pod x3l eventualy and buy a new multieffect, and also i've noticed that if i don't connect the usb cable I get a wierd noise but when it's connected it's fine and it appeared only after that plastic thingy disappeared (I have it for more than 3 years and I've used it a lot)

b) the tap tempo sometimes didn't work well

so I assumed these two problems will end and I can sell my pod and buy a new pod,

but on that same day the technician called me and asked me if he connects it to the amp he suppose to hear something 'cause he doesn't hear a thing so I said to him "It's probably set on monitor 0%" because I use the pod as a sound card and uses vst's too so i sometimes don't use the models and all and set the monitor to 0% so i can hear the vst without any line6 model shaping the sound

so i said to him "download the driver and gearbox and set the monitor knob to 100% and you're suppose to hear"

almost a week passed and today the technician calls and say "listen, all I get is an orange screen and I think you got a problem with the power supply so i said I never had this problem if I did I'd mention it.

he babbled something about his driller power supply and that my power supply that does work but frankly I dunno,  I'm extremely worried that he messed something up, I've got a wierd feeling that he put some other power supply into the pod and fucked it because frankly up untill now it worked(beside little known issue with the pitch shifter(bender) and a problem with the pattern tremolo which crashed few times but worked afterwards

also the wierd thing when i told him "hey if it does you problems you can reset it to factory defaults" he didn't knew how to do it so c'mon, since when a technician doesn't know or interested on how to do a factory reset?

please if some official Line6 support can calm me down because I don't know what to do.

p.s pleaseeeeeeee create an email box it's much more comftable for users like me

Re: usb problem that turned into power supply(?)\
by birro on 2012-01-17 19:27:22

Wow... that sounds pretty weird.

Well... answering:

a) If the USB jack was broken without the plastic cap, you got that sound because the ground wiring should be touching another wire, so that's why when you connected the USB cable, the problem dissapeared. It was time for you to fix it

b) You mean the real tempo or the switch?

About the power supply and possible new problem:

- When you left your POD at the distributor, did you leave with your power supply? If not, I'd suggest you to go there with your power supply and test it with your power supply.

- Orange screen he mentioned: I would go there and see what's going on. Does the Line6 logo appear? Or is it only orange at all, no logos, no nothing?

by hoshiro on 2012-01-17 22:49:36

b)the tap tempo switch sometimes it reacted and sometimes it didn't but when i used the tuner it always worked

regarding the power supply

when i went there I insisted of leaving everything there, they didn't want to take the power supply and the usb not to mention the case(it's a gemini case like keyboards\dj stations) itself but i insisted even though they told me "hey i see it's a 12v powersupply we've got those" so I said "I prefer that you keep everything, the usb cord,power supply,case and the pod itself"

'cause they admitted they are the new distrobutors and the new service center and they didn't had a chance to fix one of those

maybe all i need is to go there and reset the pod (the technician wasn't even interesting on how to do it!)

he said that the orange screen is without any logo without any module

and again I swear, when i left home the device WAS working.

i felt like i couldn't sell it if the plastic usb (even though the usb worked!) and the tap tempo swich isn't 100% working 'cause I'm extremely bad at marketing

by birro on 2012-01-18 13:21:11

hoshiro wrote:

maybe all i need is to go there and reset the pod (the technician wasn't even interesting on how to do it!)

Well I think you should go by yourself and see what happened to the unit there. If they fixed the USB, the TAP switch and check the orange screen. Take your power supply with you.

It's MY opinion.

IF... only IF it seems they've damaged your POD, I'd really suggest you opening a ticket informing the lack of knowledge of the technician talking to you on the phone and also that he "wasn't even interesting on how to do it" about the reset.

Good luck and please post an update

by hoshiro on 2012-01-18 14:42:17

birro thanks for the advice I'm not sure it's over but i'll go there tommorow

and as i said they have my power supply as i said before but i think he tried a driller power supply instead of mine

i even wrote here:

"so I said "I prefer that you keep everything, the usb cord,power supply,case and the pod itself"

anyhow I hope some of line6 staff can colaborate on what to do in this case. I'm even willing to go to a polygraph machine if someone have the slightest doubt about what I'm saying

by birro on 2012-01-18 15:42:45

Take your power supply in a bag... request your pedalboard to take a look on how it is. Ask about the USB, the Swtich... and then you kindly say: "may we turn it on?". Let THEM turn it on. Check the power supply they're using... check how it powers on... the lights... everything... you know why am I saying this? You told that he was using a 12V power supply. I don't have the X3L anymore but I'm pretty sure the original power supply is 9V.

If he said it wrong, and his power supply is 9V... so power on the unit and check what's going on. They weren't supposed to mess up on anything at the motherboard to cause a fault. They should just change the switch and the USB plug. The worst thing could be that when they welded the USB plug or the switch, they made a bad welding job and may have damaged the motherboard or caused a short-circuit. That can be fixed removing the weld and then turning the unit back again... or if it's burned... go to step 2:

Take a look on your power supply and confirm the voltage. If they plug a wrong voltage power supply, and the unit now is faulty, ask for the manager and don't say a word. Present the unit to the manager, state that you wanted to leave the unit with the cables, power supply... and present the their power supply the manager. Then, show your original Line6 power supply (with the 9V stick) and state that you want your unit back on work, working properly as it was and that's it.

I'm hoping you won't go for step 2 and everything's fine

by hoshiro on 2012-01-18 23:37:56

dude please read my previous note, I eventualy left everything there including the power supply

but thanks for trying to help! right now I'll take your advice and I'll ask them to turn it on and see.

by Line6Don on 2012-01-30 10:34:12

Have you tried contacting the Line 6 UK office for assistance with this service center repair yet? If not I would suggest that you do so, they may be reached at the contact info below:

The POD  [ Line 6 UK ]       Clifton House

Butlers Leap

Rugby, Warwickshire

CV21 3RQ

+44 1788 566 566 (phone)

0044 1327 302 704 (fax)

by hoshiro on 2012-01-30 11:46:04

hmm for now I agreed to pay for the LCD fix (even though it wasn't there originaly) they still have my device so i'll update you and the help center in the uk if i'll come across more problems.

p.s how come i can't contact the help desk through email?

by Line6Don on 2012-02-02 15:31:46

We do not have direct email support, our support is forum based so that users from the community can contribute their suggestions and experience.

Please contact the UK office if you have any further problems with your repair.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.