These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV 69 String Breakage
by dshetrick on 2012-01-17 17:07:35

I purchased a JTV 69 last month and have been consistently breaking the B string. Each time the string is breaking at the tremolo bridge saddle. I am a pretty light player and have not had this problem with my other guitars, and I am using the same strings I've used for years. Knowing that this is a very sensitive area on the guitar, I am hesitent to do any filing.

Do you think I would be safe lightly using some steel wool here to smooth out the saddle?

Re: JTV 69 String Breakage
by Line6Tony on 2012-01-26 09:31:19

Hi. I created a support ticket for you so we can resolve this issue. Please respond to the ticket. Thanks.

Q: What is a support ticket?

A: A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link to the ticket when a Line 6 Support Representative responds to it. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support. Also, in your account, click My Account, then click Support Tickets to view the support ticket. Here’s a shortcut: http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/.

Please note: Sometimes support ticket notifications will be filtered to spam and junk folders. If you did not receive an email from us indicating that a ticket has been created, please make sure to check those folders in your email host, and also that your email account is receiving messages at all. You may also consider adding Line 6 to your safe senders list.

by kevhegan on 2013-02-10 15:18:02

Hi,

I'm also having problems with string breakages on my JTV-69. I've never broken so many strings before, there must be a problem with the saddles. It's very frustrating.

Secondly, maybe this is related, but I am having slight tuning problems with the trem. When I lift the trem, it doesn't return to quite the same position as when I push it.

In every other way, I'm loving the guitar.

by Krontab on 2013-02-11 05:02:19

I used to work in a guitar store and I've had this issue with many times with strat style bridges. Often it had to do with a burr at the point of string bend in the saddle as you've suggested or the angle at the point of bend was too extreme. The later caused by players tightening the springs to have a vintage trem sit flat on the body. Most modern saddles relieve this issue by forcing a more gradual, more rounded point of bend in the string.

by snhirsch on 2013-02-11 05:03:24

Take a look under the tremolo mechanism cover and make sure the pickup wiring is not dragging against the sides of the routed area.  If you are really fussy about tuning, I recommend the Super-Vee MagLok highly.  It's easy to install and besides curing tuning instability it completely eliminates tremolo "dive" on string bends.  I know there are folks who've been able to get stable operation out of the JTV-69 / Fender US style floating tremolos, but I have them on three guitars (JTV-69, US Strat, PRS Custom 24) and none of them stay in tune - at least not to my ears.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.