These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV-59 Alternate Tuning problem..
by wardc33 on 2012-01-18 20:30:18

I just got a new JTV-59 today, and as I've been playing it I've noticed that the Alternate Tunings on the Low E and A string are off by about 2 steps. (The volume is also considerably lower on those two strings as well.) This only occurs when the modeling is selected, not on the actual pickups. I'm wondering if there is an easy fix for this, or if I need to send it back? Thanks!

Re: JTV-59 Alternate Tuning problem..
by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-01-19 04:07:23

Hi

You may be hearing a mix of both channels from the Variax (magnetic pickups and modelled sounds) or you may be hearing a mix of the acoustic sound and modelled sound from the guitar.

Can you give us a bit more information on what you are connecting your guitar to (POD HD500 etc... or direct from 1/4" to amp)?  How loud is the volume form your monitors? - in other words is it loud enough to drown out the acoustic sound of the guitar?

Can you record a short clip and post it here with some notes on the guitar's physical settings.

Have you updated your guitar's flash memory to the latest version (1.71).  If your guitar arrived with version 1.60 installed, then updating the flash memory is a must really, and even if the guitar does have version 1.70 or 1.71 installed then it's still a good idea to re-flash in my opinion as doing so may well resolve the issue.

Nick

by wardc33 on 2012-01-19 05:30:20

As far as the acoustic vs modelled sound from the guitar what concerned me was that even in the drop D alternate tuning, the A string was off pitch and significantly lower in volume. If it's only drop D, the A string should be the same pitch regardless..

I'll try flashing this morning and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks

by wardc33 on 2012-01-19 07:08:42

Update: Reinstalling the flash did not fix the problem..

I have tried going from the guitar straight to an amp via 1/4", as well as playing through my old POD xtLive (to both amp and through headphones).

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-01-19 07:38:46

That's a pity.  The XT Live using VDI is not capable of receiving two digital audio channels and keeping them separated like the X3 Live/Pro with the latest f/w and HD500/Pro are.

Can you post a sound clip and supporting notes?

by wardc33 on 2012-01-19 11:03:49

For some reason it won't let me attach an mp3 sound clip...

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-01-19 11:16:10

This is probably browser specific, but if you can zip the mp3 it should attach.  I alternately use Google Chrome and IE9 for these forums.  Google Chrome doesn't show the Add attachment button when you first create your reply, but if you go back in and edit your reply, the button is there.

Nick

by Line6david on 2012-01-19 11:22:55

+1 to Nick,

I would like to hear a sound clip of this behavior before making further judgements.

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

by wardc33 on 2012-01-19 12:28:40

Here is a recording of what is happening. Basically this is just a 1/4" cable into a digital recorder from my JTV.

I'm only hitting open strings, lowest to highest. The order is:

Magnetic pickups, Modeling on in standard, Modeling on in drop D, Modeling on in 1/2 down, Modeling on in drop Db, Modeling on in 1 down, and Modeling on in DADGAD.

You can hear the first two notes are quieter, and in a few of the tunings there are multiple tones on the first two strings.

Let me know what you think!

by Jehferson on 2012-01-23 13:36:49

Dear Nick

I bought my guitar yesterday in a street store. Same model and almost with the same problem. Unfortunately it was discoverd just in home. I need to play very loud to get a clear sound from tuned strings. It seems like a echo in another tune. All drivers updated.

Thanks. 

Jehferson

by thomas_d_stevens on 2012-02-01 08:53:46

I've been having this problem too with my JTV-69US.  Virtual capo/custom tuning will give me two pitches on the same string.

RE: JTV-59 Alternate Tuning problem..
by Line6Don on 2012-02-02 17:14:24

Hello. I created a support ticket for you so we can resolve this issue. Please respond to the ticket. Thanks.

Q: What is a support ticket?

A: A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link if a Line 6 support representative determines that a ticket is necessary to troubleshoot your issue. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support. Also, in your account, click My Account, then click Support Tickets to view the support ticket. Here’s a short cut: http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/

Please note: Sometimes support tickets will be filtered to spam and junk folders. If you did not receive an email from us indicating that a ticket has been created, please make sure to check those folders in your email host, and also that your email account is receiving messages at all.

Since we’ll be working on this via the ticket, I’m marking the thread Assumed Answered.

by folku on 2012-03-03 06:39:08

Curious if you've discovered the solution to this yet. My JTV has started to do the same thing in alt turnings.

by bcoellier on 2012-03-05 14:22:52

hi,

I have just receive my JTV 69 this week end, analog problem on the two up string ( B, E) at the begining : like a small mixing with original string sound and alternative tuning sound (for example in dadgad). I have used an headphone to be sure.

I have done a factory reset on alter tuning without success. I have reloaded the guitar firmware (flash memory 1.71) :

Now, problem on every string!!! alt tune are unusable...

If you know the solution about this ticket, can you tell me where i can find it?

I have changed my variax 600 especialy for new alt tuning features.

Thanks

by geriatric on 2012-03-06 04:49:09

Hi bcoellier

See my same problem at http://line6.com/support/thread/78699 and what I've tried.  There's something definitely amiss in some guitars and I suspect its hardware related.

Peter

by filtertip on 2012-05-12 01:35:12

I have exactly the same issue. A noticeable "warble", mainly on acoustic models but also on alternate tunings on the electrics and especially prevalent on 12 string models. Most noticeable in the Eb tuning. It happens when just using the jack or just the VDI cable.

As others have mentioned, it seems to be something to do with the signal being mixed from the pickups and the piezos. This is a PITA - anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

Mik

by anonyrat on 2012-05-14 20:13:19

My JTV59 came out of the bag yesterday brand new and as I am a long time tele player tried the tele's. The first thing I noticed was that the A string was lower in volume than the E and D. Weird I thought.

So in workbench I have set individual string volumes at 0.9 for all except A which I left at 1.0 - Will tweak these over the next couple of days to see if it gets better. The first tweak (above) did seem to correct the problem a bit.

by anonyrat on 2012-05-15 16:43:06

Just to add to my answer above - The settings of all 9 plus 1.0 was a bit like a scatter gun approach. Went and tinkered some more and now I have a really balanced string set - some were set down to 0.6 and up to the A on 1.0. I am glad that feature is part of the edit.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.