These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

V2.0 Firmware announced!!!!
by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-19 02:32:00

Heads up !!!!From the page here this morning ... http://line6.com/news/general/1200

Free">http://line6.com/news/general/1200">http://line6.com/news/general/1200

Freev2.0 Firmware Update For POD® HD Multi-effects     Bookmark and Share  

Coming soon! The free v2.0 firmware update dramatically expands the sonic palette of all POD® HD multi-effect processors, and enhances integration with the James Tyler® Variax® and DT25 or DT50 guitar amplifier dream rig.

For all POD HD multi-effects, the update includes two brand-new HD guitar models, the world’s first HD bass model (with eight incredible mic model choices!) and a new vintage-voiced mic preamp model:

• “Flip Top” HD Bass Amp Model. Introducing the world’s very first HD bass amp model based on* the immortal Ampeg® B-15NF Portaflex®, one of the most popular studio bass amps of all time. The modeled cab features the original 15-inch speaker perfect for laying down some serious thump.

• Eight New Mic Choices for the HD Bass Amp Model. Get your ideal bass tone from the new “Flip Top” HD bass model with eight mic choices based on*
    • Shure® SM57
    • Sennheiser® 421
    • AKG® D12
    • AKG® D112
    • EV® RE20
    • Shure® SM7B
    • Heil® PR40
    • Neumann® U47
  • “Plexi Lead NRM” and “Plexi Lead BRT” HD Guitar Amp Models. Stunning new HD guitar amp models based on* the Normal and Bright inputs of the legendary Marshall® “Plexi” 1959 Super Lead 100-watt head. Plug into the classic cascading crunch of this historic English head!

• “Vintage” HD Mic Preamp Model. A vintage-voiced tube mic preamp based on* the Requisite® Y7. Place this model at any point in the signal chain to give incredible warmth to vocal sounds and guitar and bass tones. Its controls include:
    • Gain
    • HPF (High Pass Filter)
    • LPF (Low Pass Filter)
    • Phase
    • Output

The update also includes a variety of new features and enhancements that make a POD HD500 or POD HD Pro, James Tyler Variax, and DT25 or DT50 guitar amplifier dream rig even more powerful and easy to use. The result is complete analog and digital reconfiguration of guitar models, effects, HD amplifier models and analog tube topology with the press of a single footswitch.

• Variax Knobs as Controllers. Variax Tone and Volume knobs can act like expression pedals, controlling different aspects of your tone such as delay time, amp drive or anything else you want. Controllers are capable of driving up to 50+ POD HD parameters simultaneously, making it possible to morph between sounds with a single guitar knob.
  • Variax Toggle Switch Behavior (Local Control). To provide smooth, intuitive transitions between the modeled and magnetic pickups, you can choose whether the Volume, Tone and Pickup Selector switch will control both the model and magnetic pickups simultaneously, or lock the model and only affect the magnetic pickups. For example, when switching between acoustic and electric tones, you can lock the acoustic model controls so that tweaking knobs and switching pickups when playing the electric sound won’t affect the sound of the acoustic when you switch back.
  • Variax Control Mode (Global/Preset). Choose whether you want to assign Variax guitar models and Local Control settings globally, or on a per-preset basis. Alternately, you can get complete manual control by choosing not to control Variax settings with POD presets.
  • New Input Selections. The new input selections — “Variax” and “Variax Mags” — allow you to assign any configuration of magnetic pickups and Variax models per POD HD preset. The new “Variax” input selection also recalls whether you were using mags or models per preset, allowing you to pick up exactly where you left off – no need for manual selection or input changes.
  • POD HD/Variax Custom Tuning Creation. Now you can create custom Variax tunings for any or all of your POD HD presets. Save and recall them per preset — and get up to 512 unique custom guitar tunings with instant footswitch control.

Re: V2.0 Firmware announced!!!!
by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-19 02:35:15

This update is apparently for 'All Pod HD Users' so I guess that includes the 1.40 updates for users of the HD300 and HD400 too.  Plenty of new stuff to play with for them

by greghall on 2012-01-19 03:41:44

I wonder what the "enhanced integration" with the DT25/DT50 is (unless it just refers to the new amp models).

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-19 04:02:27

I think it is the stuff in the second half of the announcement above and relates to knobs, toggles and integration ... and the custom tuning creation which sounds really interesting (for a current non Variax user anyway)

by johnpicton on 2012-01-19 04:17:35

This really is good news (and there was me thinking that the big announcement was going to end up being the new look website ).

I am really impressed that Line 6 have announced this in advance of the update considering the anger from some quarters that there was when the last big update was delayed. I for one, Much as I am looking forward to the update, wont be too stressed if it is delayed.

I know in the release they say that the update will have more integration with the James Tyler Variax, I wonder if any elements of the integration will apply to the older Variaxes, have to wait and see.

by greghall on 2012-01-19 04:20:16

Could be - although controlling parameters on the HDxxx with the Variax is not directly 'enhanced integration' with the DTxx. Still, very cool!

I'm really pleased about the added the Plexi model - I've missed this since upgrading from the X3L!

I wonder what happens if you use the new Bass amp and a bass whilst plugged into a DTxx - I don't think these amps were really designed with bass models in mind.

by wjoyce on 2012-01-19 04:23:12

Interesting stuff.  I suspect there will be finer details that aren't "press release worthy".  I'm still hanging on for the ability to record dry over USB.

by johnpicton on 2012-01-19 04:30:43

wjoyce wrote:

Interesting stuff.  I suspect there will be finer details that aren't "press release worthy".  I'm still hanging on for the ability to record dry over USB.

Now that would be great!

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-19 04:40:01

Yeah, I might give that one a pass.  Not great for the speakers.  I assume the Bass modelling is not intended for use with the DT's ... unless there is another announcement pending .

by petef on 2012-01-19 05:00:47

I do hope that the 'squeeling issue' with the HD500 is resolved..

Also hoping for a nylon simulation in the JTV (69K in my case)...

I will give it to Line6 (and Fractal).... they do keep supporting thier products (unlike Yamaha....mLAN  )

It will be neat to try the new stuff..

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-19 05:14:00

Cool on the 2.0 update, especially for bass players, but would have been great if they updated those EQ's and what most people asked since months .... oh, well, I was hoping for news on that front, but now it's sure I'm going fishing for something else to complete my setup.

Hans

by wjoyce on 2012-01-19 05:48:17

I feel a bit guilty saying it, but this doesn't really feel like a typical Line 6 version 2 firmware.  I guess we've been spoiled in the past, but previous v2's have been massive.

by daferalo on 2012-01-19 05:52:06

There is also a 1.8 firmware release for the JTV guitars which includes 5 new acoustic guitar models. Check this out http://line6.com/news/general/1199.Is there any nylon acoustic guitar there?

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-01-19 06:40:33

The good or bad old days when POD 1.0 moved to 2.0 with doubling the number of amps, but I have to admit that for my use the HD is now complete (MIC Pre and Bass). Since there are new 8 mics for that one new bass amp, I think the next thing would probably be model packs including Bass model Pack but global EQ has to come before that or at the same time maybe.

by phil_m on 2012-01-19 06:48:04

Well going from the 1.0 to 2.0 of the original POD either meant buying a new EPROM chip or getting a new POD altogether. It wasn't a free update. Actually, I don't believe there was ever a downloadable firmware update for the original POD.

The 2.0 and 3.0 updates for the XT were pretty big, though. But the thing that's been cool about the HD updates from my perspective is that rather than simply giving more amp models or effects, they are actually adding a bunch of other functionality that ultimately gives users more flexibility in how they can use the products.

by meambobbo on 2012-01-19 06:52:09

It's a good update to expand its general usability - not really my specific use case, but I'll probably use the plexi a lil bit.  hopefully they eventually get around to improved EQ's and maybe even a couple desperately wanted high gain models and a pure clean model. also if they can do it, user-uploadable IR's (or at least EQ-compensated/more-balanced cab/mics).  But I'll go along with thinking this was higher priority than that.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-19 06:55:31

I too appreciate the diversity more than I need additional amp models.  Like Hans though ... I think the EQs really do need a bit more work.  They ain't the sexiest functionality in there but they make a really make a difference to the basic quality of tones.  A global one would go a long way to the portability of the unit between guitars and/or output rigs.  Still, there will be more updates and I get by so hey ho.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-01-19 07:13:52

phil_m wrote:

Well going from the 1.0 to 2.0 of the original POD either meant buying a new EPROM chip or getting a new POD altogether. It wasn't a free update.

I remember speaking with a customer service at the time of POD 2.0 and he did send me the eprom for free!!  I thought it was the smartest marketing ever. I'm still with line 6  more than ten years after mainly because I like their products but that struck a very nice image  in my head about the company. Not sure if others got the free Eprom but I think they probably did. It wasn't like I was the 100th caller or anything like that!

by Icewind on 2012-01-19 07:53:45

daferalo wrote:

There is also a 1.8 firmware release for the JTV guitars which includes 5 new acoustic guitar models. Check this out http://line6.com/news/general/1199.Is there any nylon acoustic guitar there?

I don't think these are new models.  These are just updates to the existing five models.  I say "just", but it sounds like they may have done some serious work on them:

• New modeling technology. Our new breakthrough acoustic guitar modeling technology gives the five models breathtaking depth and detail, capturing the subtle nuances of string vibration through the soundboard and the tonewoods of the original modeled guitar body.

• Five updated models. The updated models are based on* the Martin® D28, Martin® D12-28, Martin® 0-18, Guild® 12 String, and Gibson® J200 acoustic guitars.

by greghall on 2012-01-19 07:58:18

I'm surprised that there isn't an amp model specifically for acoustic guitar in this update, especially given the Variax capabilities - but maybe the new Mic Preamp model will work well for that. Looking forward to trying it out! 

by jasonbogen on 2012-01-19 08:05:45

Yeah, on the surface it doesn't look like that big of a deal, but I get the feeling it may be major.  As a JTV and HD500 owner who uses the acoustic models a lot, this along with the preamps could be the biggest upgrade for me.

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-19 08:11:51

I wonder if the new Mic preamp offers some more in depth tweaking like the one on the POD farm ? This at least would help tweaking the sound a bit more then with the current EQ's ...

Hans

by meambobbo on 2012-01-19 08:27:38

the most bitter thing about this is that the new stagescape product looks to have gotten the 1 EQ we were all hoping the HD would get.

by grimm26 on 2012-01-19 09:12:07

Ugh, this is what is starting to turn me off with the HD series: it's all about vintage gear.  If I cared about or had even ever touched any vintage gear, I wouldn't be entrusting my guitar tone to a DSP.  This is why I sold my JTV also.  With the X3, I had lots of choices for non-vintage amps, especially the Line 6 original models.  With the HD, I have the ENGL, the Bogner Uber, and the Dual Rec and I don't care for the Uber model (or the Electrik).  The Z and the Rt66 are useful sometimes, and I have settled on using the JTM45 for clean tones, but I don't touch anything else.  It is getting to the point where I think they should release a separate series - not just for metal, but with a focus on newer amps like the five I have just mentioned (not the JTM45).  Some VHT/Fryette, Budda, different Bogners, Soldano and Lee Jackson stuff (Metaltronix anyone), Orange, Diezel, H&K, and Line 6 originals would be great.

Yes, I know, submit a prodict feedback request.

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-19 09:21:53

Yep, but from the screen not sure if it's a real parametric one ?

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-19 12:04:35

Actually I think I'm going to preorder the new GT100 from BOSS http://www.rolandconnect.com/product.php?p=gt-100Seems like they have updated the amp models and the FX are way better then those from L6, depending on how good the new amp models from GT100 are  I'll probably keep my HD500 for some tones, but have enough of it to wait such a long time for a decent update, to discover they spend most of there resources on mixers ...

Hans

by phil_m on 2012-01-19 12:08:23

Well, good luck with that.

But if updates are what you're looking for, you certainly won't get them from Boss. I believe the number of updates that Boss has released for the GT series over the whole product line's existence could be counted on one hand.

by grimm26 on 2012-01-19 12:16:55

Looks cool.  And I see an "Amp Ctl" connection on the back which makes me think you can set that to change the channel on an amp you are using with it.  Sweet.  No need to buy a Voodoo Lab Control Swicther.

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-19 12:18:41

I'm not looking for updates, but for a product that is complete Phil, the HD500 is great for the amp models, but I don'ty want to wait another few months again just in the hope they'll finally adress the EQ's and some FX ...

Hans

by phil_m on 2012-01-19 12:24:14

Well, I don't think you should, then. I'm perfectly happy with the HD500 the way it is, really. There's not much I can think of that I need it to do that it doesn't. I wouldn't have bought if I thought it had major deficiencies.

This isn't to defend Line 6 or bash Boss at all. But if I didn't think a product was "complete" I wouldn't keep it. There's no guarantee Line 6 will ever address the things you're talking about, honestly. I do expect further updates, of course, but I consider those extras that Line 6 throws our way, not something we're owed.

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-19 12:32:57

Yes sure, they don't owe me anything, but I don't need to keep a product that I'm not happy with, I think different people different tastes and needs, but for me the HD500 is hard to tweak without a good EQ and compressor, it's like having a very good mixing console with good sound but with low quality EQ's and comps. I've been a fan of L6 since a long time, but for me the HD500 wasn't the best except then for the amp models, and this is why I waited such a long time .... anyway, no offend, just different needs

Cheers,

Hans

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-19 12:39:20

Yes, looks cool, not sure the amp models will be as good as those from L6, but we'll see ...

Hans

by meambobbo on 2012-01-19 14:06:10

Jesus x they might as well have gone full 9 and let Stephen segall to do the demo. Pretty sure that guy found the brown sound........

by gregr on 2012-01-19 14:21:02

There's a video on youtube of the GT100.  The cleans kick butt all over the HD series (but Boss has always had superior clean tones).  The high gain?  Boss garbage as usual.

What I find funny is that I was given the impression that the Park 75 was going to do Plexi and then do better and cooler.  I don't recall seeing many requests for the vanilla Plexi, jumpered Plexi and variac-ed Plexi yes; vanilla Plexi, no.  So another mid-gain offering from Line 6 for the HD series which is already mid-gain heavy.  <sarcasm>YAY!</sarcasm>

Hans, you probably want a DigiTech modeler for your high-gain cravings.

by opiren15 on 2012-01-19 15:04:26

Who asked for a Plexi or a bunch of Bass amps ???? . 99 % of buyers are guitar players.

They should lissen to the customers: We all asked good and clear to use EQ´s and a GOOD 5150 or Diezel amp simulator (that´s what Fractal is doing a lot better than Line6,do this and Axes are out of the market in 6 months...) ,and maybe the posibilitiy to use external convolutions.Only having a look at this forum you can have a looooooot of suggestions....

by stumpsout on 2012-01-19 15:12:44

I hate soon

by panickc on 2012-01-19 15:32:01

Ditto.  Just a couple years ago I heard there had been an EProm update for the original Pod Pro, called 'em up, and they had just a few left and shipped it to me free of charge.  It had been, like, 8 or 10 years since I bought the thing!

Don't know if L6 has the best sounding stuff, but it's musical and support like that keeps me coming back. Bought an HD500 when it first came out, and just today, an HD Pod Pro (forgoing my AxeFX II coupon to save $1600).

-cp

by silverhead on 2012-01-19 15:32:35

stumpsout wrote:

I hate soon

I know. Just goes to show............

Scenario 1): Line 6 does not announce firmware releases in advance. User response: When is the next update coming? Why don't you keep us informed? You're torturing us!!

Scenario 2): Line 6 announces firmware releases in advance. User  response: What are you waiting for? It's not ready? Why did you even tell us now? You're torturing us!!

by TheRealZap on 2012-01-19 15:46:46

opiren15 wrote:

Who asked for a Plexi or a bunch of Bass amps ???? . 99 % of buyers are guitar players.

They should lissen to the customers: We all asked good and clear to use EQ´s and a GOOD 5150 or Diezel amp simulator (that´s what Fractal is doing a lot better than Line6,do this and Axes are out of the market in 6 months...) ,and maybe the posibilitiy to use external convolutions.Only having a look at this forum you can have a looooooot of suggestions....

this stuff is 100% made up in your head... you see how non-science statistics work....

MANY guitar players, record the occasional bass track in their compositions... and you would deny them one lousy bass amp just so that you could have 3 more crappy over the top high gain models.... i like options as much as the next guy... but the bass model is a slam dunk.

as far as the EQ'a... sounds like it will be a great benefit when its done... and like every other request... they hear... and they do what they can... and release it when it's done....

until then not everyone EQ's the beeejezzzus out of their tones... and although less than ideal as it is... i do see people doing great things with the tools at their disposal.

i know... because i don't and i'd be included in any statistic you conjure up that states "everyone"

by holeshot1982 on 2012-01-19 15:51:33

I for one can't wait for the Plexi!! Could care less for a 5150. been there done that, get better sounds else where....As for a bass amp, what's the harm in including 1 model? Might be fun to tinker with..... I do agree about the EQ...

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-19 15:57:05

You are 101% right Zap.  I certainly have occasional use for a bass amp sim and Ampeg is a good choice. 

by gregr on 2012-01-19 15:57:33

TheRealZap wrote:

... and you would deny them one lousy basy amp just so that you could have 3 more crappy over the top high gain models....

Zap goes on record insinuating the current high gain models in the HD are crappy, lol.

I agree, the Bass model is a slam dunk indeed.

Oh, and I like the nice conciliatory use of hyperbole.  Way to go!

...maybe with a little (read: lot) of EQing those high gain models wouldn't sound so crappy.

by phil_m on 2012-01-19 16:00:47

"Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that."

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-01-19 20:00:12

. Joking aside the pereception is that line 6 is good for hard and heavy high gain amps as far as I can go back in memory. I honestly think that line 6 will be committing a huge error if they don't provide some real sick modern melt your face amps, and I'm not talking one or two. There must be a metal shop in there unless the guys in the decision making capacity at line 6 are getting older and are going by their current taste in music. I hope not even though I'm able to get some good metal using the Dirt boxes simulated, nothing beats a real fire breathing monster amp tone that doesn't rely on a pedal.

by spikey on 2012-01-19 20:16:53

Was also hoping for multi output options per patch, but this is a nice list of upgrades...

by beteasta351 on 2012-01-19 21:24:04

I think this will be a great update...

I am personally more of a metal player, and would like to see some new metaly amps, (i'm not going to run through the names again). But i really think line6 is doing a great job on this 2.0 update!  They are really increasing the versatility of the unit (even thoguh i don't own a Variax or DT 50).  Adding an HD bass amp with 8 dedicated mics? Its quite obvious where Line6 is going with this... More bass amps down the line... Adding a vocal preamp? Nice little bonus too... After 2.0, I think the POD HD500 will completely (or almost completely) replace the POD X3 (in terms of verstatility).

As far as i'm concerned, the POD HD blew the X3 outta the water the day it came out (I remember that day, i was sooo happy)

Anyway line6, Nice job on this update, you guys work really hard, i can tell!  Can't wait to play the plexi lead!

As far as metal goes, yes, i love metal and i play it all the time, i dont agree that you can have enough metal amps... Metal is just as legitimate a genre of music as any other. But i think Line6 will eventually come out with a "Metal Amp Pack"

In fact, i know they will, because of their track record and dedication to their customers

Hopefully they will release amp packs for everyone's tastes sometime in the future! And maybe some more effects if they want (although i dont think there's a shortage of those!)

Anyway,

GREAT JOB LINE6!!!!!

can't wait till the update =D

~Matt

PS I do agree about the EQ thing though, its not that we necesarilly need a good EQ to alter the sound of the amps, its just rediculous how EACH EQ fails in one or another to do a good job at EQing, if they were all combined into ONE, fully functional, 6 - 10 band parametric, complete with high and low shelves, and Frequency and Q settings, then we wouldnt need so many EQs... It would be a lot more effective that way, i think

by lindsayward on 2012-01-19 23:51:44

Sounds good. I'm super happy about the very last point - being able to save the custom tunings with the patch on the POD rather than sacrificing a Variax model just to save the tuning. That was my number 1 request!

I would still really like to see:

* Acoustic amp(s)

* Really good clean amp

I'm looking forward to experimenting with being able to adjust POD settings using my Variax tone knob (which I hardly use normally). I'd never even thought of that, but it could be super useful.

Bring on soon...

by CACHERA on 2012-01-20 01:03:54

Yes i agre with you for the acoustic amps, because actually, i use a Varix JTV59 and i find the sound without amps is not clean. May be i have to work with the Eq ? sometimes i tried with a clean amp as Blackface and i think it sounds better than without amp.

What is your experience with acoustic sound and pod HD 500. May be a new post ??

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-20 05:08:27

LOL well that Jesus X can for sure play guitar, much better then Seagal , not sure how well it will in real life, like all demos they never sound the way I want, but I'm for sure going to try it out ...

by jasonbogen on 2012-01-20 05:43:34

Absolutely.  Not only do I use it for recording, but I also use it in my band when my bass player and I switch instruments.  He has a bass modler with guitar amp sims and I used to have a guitar amp modler with bass amp sims until I upgraded from the X3 to the HD500.  Very happy about this and as you said it is one lousy bass amp.  By the way, even though it wasn't really needed with the JTM-45 and the Park 75, the Plexi on my X3 was my most used amp.  I will admit I have definitely seen more requests for high gain amps though I rarely use them.  I definitely agree about the EQ as I think that may be the most requested feature I have seen. 

That being said, I am loving the free upgrades.  There's always more we want and we would love to have everything sooner, but there was no contract with Line 6 to give us free stuff, yet they do it repeatedly.  They continue to make the HD better and I am sure they are choosing things based on requests they get from the official request forms and based on the time/cost of delivering them. 

by meambobbo on 2012-01-20 06:05:17

be sure to let us know

by meambobbo on 2012-01-20 06:06:49

but as gregr pointed out, a vanilla plexi, or a jumped/variaxed plexi?

by micromnml on 2012-01-21 07:51:55

For clean tones, does using the pre-amp models make it sound better? Are the pre-amp models designed to be used with an actual amp?

by meambobbo on 2012-01-21 21:13:01

this is a bit off-topic so we shouldn't get into it in this post, but i'll give you a quick answer.  if it's not enough, you might want to start a new thread or do a search for similar threads.

the pre-amp models are models of just the pre-amps of the given amps.  a lot of the design idea came from integration with the Line 6 DT amp line, which allows the Pod to tell the DT what power amp options to use - Class A or Class AB and Pentode or Triode.  withtout the DT's flexibility, you can only run the pre-amp models into whatever voicing your power amp has.  thus, only some pre-amp models though your amp will sound like the full models running direct to a PA, depending on what power amp you run them into.  so the best i can tell you is to try the models both as pre and full into your amp and see which one you think sounds better.  it may sound better as pre for some and full for other amp models.  I have a very transparent power amp, and like to run the full models.  I rarely crank my power amp, and even when I do it's not really getting pushed to the point where it's getting compression, let alone distortion.

if you're looking for the cleanest tone, some amps, like the Blackface Dbl, model crossover distortion in the power amp, which isn't clean sounding at all.  You can tweak the controls to reduce or even eliminate the crossover distortion, or you can just use the pre-amp model.  in this case, the pre-amp model might be cleaner, but which one sounds best is still a subjective matter.

by Ed_Saxman on 2012-01-23 05:00:39

The world’s first HD bass model (with eight incredible mic model choices!) and a new vintage-voiced mic preamp model:

• “Flip Top” HD Bass Amp Model. Introducing the world’s very first HD bass amp model based on* the immortal Ampeg® B-15NF Portaflex®, one of the most popular studio bass amps of all time. The modeled cab features the original 15-inch speaker perfect for laying down some serious thump.

• Eight New Mic Choices for the HD Bass Amp Model. Get your ideal bass tone from the new “Flip Top” HD bass model with eight mic choices based on*
    • Shure® SM57
    • Sennheiser® 421
    • AKG® D12
    • AKG® D112
    • EV® RE20
    • Shure® SM7B
    • Heil® PR40
    • Neumann® U47

Amazing!!!

Can´t wait to get that HD Bass amp!

<a target=new href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8a/Ampeg_Portaflex_B-15N.JPG/220px-Ampeg_Portaflex_B-15N.JPG"class="jive-image" src="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8a/Ampeg_Portaflex_B-15N.JPG/220px-Ampeg_Portaflex_B-15N.JPG"/>

by Rowbi on 2012-01-23 05:51:29

jimsreynolds wrote:

This update is apparently for 'All Pod HD Users' so I guess that includes the 1.40 updates for users of the HD300 and HD400 too.  Plenty of new stuff to play with for them

the amp modelling will be the same for all, but some things, like I think (but I could be totally wrong) the imput impedance settings is controlling some hardware that the 300/400 may not have.  I can't say with 100% certainty though but thast's what I understood at the time for why the 300/400 didn't get an update, as there just wasn't much to update.

also for example the variax control updates will only be on the 500 and pro as they have the VDI input...

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-23 06:47:55

Yes, I guess I am overstating it a bit (stuff like the Variax support is obviously not going to arrive without hardware support).  Didn't realise on the Input impedance bit though.   I guess people get the Hard Gate which was a big plus.

All adds to the anticipation

by daveschutt on 2012-01-23 13:26:08

Doesn't sound like this is going to be the Variac'd Plexi.  That's the one I've really missed!

by spikey on 2012-01-23 15:19:55

Did I just miss it, or did they address the multi outs problem yet?

I.E. being able to use a preamp with no cab emulation to a DT-50 on stage,  and also run your pre-outs to the board using cab emulation?

by meambobbo on 2012-01-23 15:38:18

Not addressed yet. I wouldn't call it a problem but a missing feature just like being able to di/reamp, import ir's, globally eq, have independent routing selection of pre-amp, power-amp, and mic/cab sims, etc

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-23 21:49:20

Still don't get it why the new preamp has so few controls over what the preamps had in the POD farm, at least it would have been cool to have some more control over EQ there. Please Line 6 tell me why on the one hand you release 5000$ + mixer and PA and on the other hand you leave the HD with some important missing features ? You have gold on your hand with the HD, but it really needs some more features.

by Seppi on 2012-01-24 01:30:35

This is a great firmware upgrade!! I'm really REALLY excited about this!!! Thanks Line6!!!

by micromnml on 2012-01-24 04:43:06

Any idea of a release date yet?

by chimp_spanner on 2012-01-24 05:08:57

The bass amp and mic pre-amp should be really cool. I guess if we put the mic pre-amp after the amp+cab block, that'd be the same as running your mic'd up cab into a really nice pre-amp right?

by Rewolf48 on 2012-01-24 06:01:29

I don't know 'cause I'm not a beta tester, and they can't say because of Non Disclosure, but I don't think this will be possible.  I guess that the mic pre-amp will be an option for the amp+cab block for when using the mic input on the B path.

What might be interesting is using the bass amp or the mic pre-amp for acoustic guitar - both amp types are supposed to full range and completely clean aren't they?

by Mr_Arkadin on 2012-01-24 06:04:52

Rewolf48 wrote:

What might be interesting is using the bass amp or the mic pre-amp for acoustic guitar - both amp types are supposed to full range and completely clean aren't they?

I wouldn't describe an any Ampeg as completely clean. The mic pre-amp may serve well though.

by KozMcCharlie on 2012-01-24 07:53:32

Line 6 has said that the Mic Pre is available as an effects block and not an amp block.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-24 09:02:40

No problem with that, provided there is enough control over it.

by terraplane on 2012-01-24 22:13:15

I guess there is too less improvements for the major release. Where is new amp? Fcuk Plexi, I want JCM 2000.

by lowyaw on 2012-01-24 23:21:07

2 out of my 4 feature requests

what's more to wish for

i asked for a bass amp, and a mic pre - voila.

the two other things that i would love to see is improved x-over distortion emulation. it's often too harsh

and we need some kind of clipping indicator to make sure there's no internal clipping

by Rewolf48 on 2012-01-25 05:14:53

You're quite right... I should have gone back to the announcement:

“Vintage” HD Mic Preamp Model. A vintage-voiced tube mic preamp based on* the Requisite® Y7. Place this model at any point in the signal chain to give incredible warmth to vocal sounds and guitar and bass tones. Its controls include:

• Gain
  • HPF (High Pass Filter)
  • LPF (Low Pass Filter)
  • Phase
  • Output

I don't have a Requisite Y7, but from the picture in the X3 Model gallery the real thing has 6 switches and 2 knobs which I guess are for Gain and Output.  If it has the ability to set the High and Low Pass Filter frequency as well as gain this will be a very useful tool that can tame boomy low end and fizzy highs and gives us the phase invert that is vital for some dual amp combinations that otherwise just cancel each other out.

by rodney13 on 2012-01-25 06:45:26

Looking very forward to the plexi love those amps , got the chance recenty to play through a real JTM 45 now I want one  they sound awesome

by KozMcCharlie on 2012-01-25 07:28:39

terraplane wrote:

I guess there is too less improvements for the major release. Where is new amp? Fcuk Plexi, I want JCM 2000.

The JCM 2000 (or DSL/TSL) is essentially 2 or 3 SuperLead tone stacks. Almost identical circuits to the Plexi model they added. Given the way that the HD Series handles amp controls (Gain controlling preamp distortion and a Master Volume) you most likely will get the sounds you want from this model.

by AzolHD on 2012-01-25 10:21:58

I am hoping also to see a list of bugfixes in 2.0 release, not only the newly added features (which are really exciting, of course).

by Rabid on 2012-01-25 11:57:39

Bass amp is just what I was hoping for. I want a unit I can use both for bass and guitar and not lose the bottom on distortion.

by gregr on 2012-01-25 13:15:23

KozMcCharlie wrote:

The JCM 2000 (or DSL/TSL) is essentially 2 or 3 SuperLead tone stacks. Almost identical circuits to the Plexi model they added. Given the way that the HD Series handles amp controls (Gain controlling preamp distortion and a Master Volume) you most likely will get the sounds you want from this model.

Where did you get this crazy notion?

As and owner of a TSL, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the thing cannot in any reasonable way, shape or form provide an SLP sound.  The converse is true as well.

Most Marshall amps run a similar tone stack (singular, not plural!) topology but the voicing and gain stages leading to this final piece of the preamp can vary wildly.  The SLP only has two stages of gain, whereas the TSL has five stages of gain in the lead channel.

by Seppi on 2012-01-25 14:58:19

lowyaw wrote:

2 out of my 4 feature requests

what's more to wish for

i asked for a bass amp, and a mic pre - voila.

the two other things that i would love to see is improved x-over distortion emulation. it's often too harsh

and we need some kind of clipping indicator to make sure there's no internal clipping

+1000 to this!!!

by jcosta_sr on 2012-01-25 16:03:32

Do the Variax enhancements extend to the old Variax, or only to the Tyler Variax?

by atpazari on 2012-01-25 16:16:39

no development for or alternative to the cab models which are impossible to get a good sound of? thanks...

by daveschutt on 2012-01-25 16:28:29

I echo you on that clipping indicator.  It's hard to know if my monitor speakers, headphones or that HD is actually clipping.  Quite frustrating to have to wait to I'm at the gig to hear it out of the PA to know for sure.

by Ed_Saxman on 2012-01-25 16:30:04

hansvaneven escribió:

Actually I think I'm going to preorder the new GT100 from BOSS

Seems like they have updated the amp models and the FX are way better then those from L6, depending on how good the new amp models from GT100 are  I'll probably keep my HD500 for some tones, but have enough of it to wait such a long time for a decent update, to discover they spend most of there resources on mixers ...

Hans

I have ordered the new Boss RC-300 Loopstation instead.

The GT-100 looks good, but only have an guitar input. End of discussion. (and lacks something like Pod HD500 edit)

I use my HD500 with my variax 700 and 705 and a mic, using midi-sync with the RC-300 as master.

Winner setup!

But I have to say that phantom power could have been a great thing for the HD500.

Now I have phantom powered mic input on the RC-300, but having it in the pod would have been preferable, given the way they are connected.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-01-25 17:09:24

hansvaneven wrote:

Actually I think I'm going to preorder the new GT100 from BOSS

Seems like they have updated the amp models and the FX are way better then those from L6

I've already pre-ordered one.  I have no delusions that the amp models are going to be better than the GT-10's, and if they are, I'll be pleasantly surprised.  No, I take that back.  I'll be shocked.  But I'm not using it for amp models or for recording.  I use a GT-10 into a clean Mesa for one of my bands, just for a simple set up.  It has great OD stomps.  Effects are not near as good as the Line6 M-series effects, but they work fine for a bar band gig.  I'm sure the GT-100 is going to be a solid unit from the get go, but I doubt it will ever see a firmware update.

My HD Pro and HD500 will be used with my MarkV rig at church and for recording.  The effects on those are stellar.  And the amp models are as good as anything out there.

by parman on 2012-02-02 20:02:36

I love my X3live and my new HD500 but if I could have just the Plexi Variac w/Green backs I would have my rig complete,I play Lincoln Brewster stuff at church.I still am using my X3live at church because I havent found that tone yet with the 500. I think Lincoln is tweeking his 500 for this upcomming update, I read it on his facebook page so as I understand it he is helping out,someone let me know if im wrong. Anyway I would pay line 6 let say a model pack for Church Tones,Chris Tomlin,Brewster ect.and also EQ upgrades and thats about it, if they did that wow it couldnt get better for me, thanks for reading and lets here some feed back on the Church Tone Packs.

by hansvaneven on 2012-02-03 00:39:16

Hi Karl,

I found some more sound samples of the GT 100, and finally am not that impressed with the updated modeling ... though their FX rule, but keep us posted on how well it sounds compared to the HD, I'm going to wait until I can hear one with my own ears, still putting some last hopes in an update from L6 which would give us better EQ's before switching ...

Cheers,

Hans

by meambobbo on 2012-02-03 12:00:44

do you not use the HD for amp modeling?  Seems like you'd be better off supplementing the Pod with an EQ rather than abandoning for another amp modeler with worse amp modeling...

by JLafton on 2012-07-17 20:01:46

There is a bunch of new amps on the 300 and 400, such as line 6 doom and epic. Does any one know if these be available on the 500? If so when is the release expected?

by TheRealZap on 2012-07-17 20:05:07

they've not announced anything... but you really shouldnt expect anything more than what you bought and paid for in the store...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.