These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Stumpsout JTV-69 FINAL update
by stumpsout on 2012-01-20 10:37:53

Guitar came back from Line 6. Played it today. Neck not replaced. Frets are over bevelled still. Neck is over sanded. Still a slicy buzz from bridge. Same guitar with a better setup. Not satisfactory for a guitar I will be playing the rest of my life. All i think when i go to play it is what a lousy buzz and be careful on that e string.

Shipping mistake charged me tax as if i was buying it. UPS = useless to talk to about it.

Sent Line 6 e-mail today about it and got out of office reply, probably for NAMM.

After all this...I think that might be enough for me. It seems impossible.

Re: Stumpsout JTV-69 update
by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-01-20 11:25:10

Oh no.....

How disappointing.  Really sorry to hear this Don

Nick

by stumpsout on 2012-01-24 20:23:50

Talked with Line 6, there was a mix up... they are fixing it up now.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-01-25 01:18:04

Don

That really is good to hear   Good stuff.  I hope it works out this time.

All the best

Nick

Re: Stumpsout JTV-69 FINAL update
by litesnsirens on 2012-01-26 06:07:10

I posted in your previous thread about a possible solution that helped with my new neck re: the high e string slippage.  I don't know if it will help much with the original neck but may be worth a try.  I adjusted the set screws on the bridge saddle of the high e so that it was angled in towards the middle of the neck.  This actually had the effect of moving the string slightly, on my warmoth neck it had a huge impact, partly because that bridge saddle seemed to be setup in the reverse when it arrived (angled outwards) and partly because my neck is slightly wider at the nut but it may still have an impact and it's worth a try.  You can still achieve the same string height  even though the saddle is sitting on an angle and for me anyway the string doesn't slip out of the groove.  But that little adjustment has pretty much eliminated my high e string slippage.

I don't think it's ideal, of course it would be better to offer a solution of a replacement bridge plate that places the saddles a little closer together so that we can get the strings away from the edge of the neck and we don't have to angle the saddles.  a) it's probably better to have the saddles level, and b) it would probably  bring the string in further from the edge than simply angling the saddle.

They have a great product here, it needs a wee bit of tweaking, but I love the flexibility I have playing live now, and even recording.  If Line 6 could just work on offereing some fixes it would make the playing experience that much better.   And I think moving forward they should offer a few neck variations on each of the models '59 '69 and maybe even '89.  I haven't played an '89 but both the '59 and '69 have fairly chunky necks which guys with bigger hands may like but there are a lot of guys that would prefer a thinner neck.  I know the models are of vintage guitars and they have put vintage feeling necks on to match (I guess that's why, who knows really).  But it would be nice if they even offered some newer guitar models that would be an update in workbench that you could load into the JTV if you wanted.  OK, now I'm just rambling.

by TheRealZap on 2012-01-26 06:24:31

the neck on the 89 is miles different than the 59/69

i love the feel of the 89 neck... not so much into the generic "superstrat" look of it though....

i think its comparable to one of the ibanez wizard necks if that makes sense.

by silverhead on 2012-01-26 06:47:51

I really hope this ends well for you. I commend your patience and resilience.

by ozbadman on 2012-01-27 09:35:40

Deleted the thread about deleting posts as stumpsout cleared that up for me. Thanks everyone for the explanations.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.