These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Is it okay to use external stomp boxes with the line 6 spider iv 150 combo?
by rscriz84 on 2012-01-20 12:33:55

I noticed that the spider iv 150 watt combo has latency issues when switching between banks which means that when I go from a clean channel to a distortion channel...there's like x amount of miliseconds of a hole in the sound between the shift. My question is... does it do any harm whatsoever to the spider iv 150 watt combo...to plug my guitar in to a distortion pedal...before running it in to the input. I also have other stomp boxes as well I'd like to be able to use. I do of course have the fbv floorboard (mk2) .... but my main main question is... Is it okay to use other pedals in conjuction with the set up that i have?

Re: Is it okay to use external stomp boxes with the line 6 spider iv 150 combo?
by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-01-20 13:59:55

Yes - you shouldn't have any issues using standard stomp boxes between your guitar and the Spider IV.

Nick

by rscriz84 on 2012-01-20 14:21:15

Even if the effects are running through a distortion channel on the amp or if the amp has effects on of it's own at the same time?

For instance...if the line 6 spider iv 150 watt combo was set to a preset that had distortion...and i wanted to plug my guitar in to a whammy pedal....and then in to the input of my amp.... that would be okay? There's no way of overloarding the amp or doing any harm by plugging in external pedals regardless of the settings on the line 6 amp. Cause of course if i use distortion...it's best to run the distortion pedal in to a clean channel because that's the only thing that makes sense...but...if by chance i'm on a channel that's distorted within the amp itself.... it's still okay to use external pedals?

I only ask because I wanna know what is and isn't okay when using external effect units with this amplifier.

by fflbrgst on 2012-01-21 11:06:04

It won't harm the amp, but you need to balance the distortions - distortionXdistortion = NOISE.

by rscriz84 on 2012-01-21 21:41:39

So if i was to use, say, a guitar hooked in to a distortion... in to a boss octave pedal... in to ring modulator pedal .... in to the amplifier... it wouldn't cause any overload? cause if that's the case, that's awesome and solves a lot of problems. I mean...it wouldn't help that I spent so much money already and have to spend even more money.... but it means I can work around the problem.... and that would be a little nice to know. Thank you for answering these questions by the way. If i seem irritated, i assure you I'm just upset because there are certain things i liked about the spider 2 that are a little bit absent from the spider iv. The latency issue that many are going through with the amp....is enough to have me pretty ticked off.

by Kneehow on 2012-01-30 11:43:52

I just simulated your hypothetic signal flow, with a slight change: Boss Octave first (so the tracked signal will be a clean signal), into a Z.Vex fuzz unit, into a Z.Vex distortion/boost into a Boss Delay into a Spider II. I didn't experience overloading, but I was careful about the boost circuit on the distortion.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.