These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD newbie questions
by ralle89 on 2012-01-21 02:21:24

Hello,

I am about to buy me in a week or so a new POD HD 500, i was in a dilemma should i buy a HD 500 or the HD Desktop then i chose a HD 500.

Now I got a Fender Frontman R25, and as my guitar skills grove i felt like i need something additional so i can fully can expand my work. What i want is a device whit which i can work in a lot of situations and different ways.

So my question about the POD HD 500 is ( and thats the main question), can i connect it directly to my computer via USB and play along with backing tracks without using my AMP, record directly even if the PC is 4 years old and can i do that without any crappy delayed sound or problems with the sound.

My second question is, can i connect the POD 500 just to my guitar and headphones and play that way along ( for late night jamming). There i have then my AMP, a lot of people said i dont need the AMP anymore, its way easier to play just with my POD, PC and speakers ( headphones ), but i want to ask first experts.

So what i want to use is a guitar - POD - PC combo, for recordings, practice etc.

What other possibilities i have with my future POD HD 500 and my Fender AMP?

I ask these questions cuz i tried earlier to connect my guitar and amp directly to my PC's sound card and i had crappy mono sound, couldnt do any recordings and practice that way, so will the POD 500 solve these problems and finally bring some refreshing wind in my life

I know u are getting noob questions like mine every day, but thanks for answering in advance!

Re: POD HD newbie questions
by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-01-21 02:44:02

Hi

Good choice

Yes you should be able to play along with tracks generated by your computer - even one that is four years old as long as it runs Windows XP or later, or if it's a Mac it has to have an Intel CPU and a recent version of the Mac OS.  the HD500 will become your computer's audio interface when connected and and computer generated sounds such as those generated by Windows Media player will play back through the HD500.  No amp required, just headphones as a minimum connected to your POD HD500

As for recording, you can do very low latency recording using a computer based DAW and Line 6's ASIO driver for the HD500

Late night silent jamming via headphones using just your PC and your POD HD500 - no problem.

To use your Fender amp with your POD HD500 you will either need to connect the POD to the normal guitar input on the amp, or better still to the amp's power amp section alone (to avoid coloration from the amp's pre-amp) using an FX Loop Return or Power Amp In socket.  This will depend on the design of your amp and whether it has an FX loop or a Power Amp In socket.

The POD HD500 is a very flexible device and capable of a lot of configurations.  It's about to get even better when the next firmware version is released soon (as announced this week)

Nick

by ralle89 on 2012-01-21 02:58:56

Thanks for the very helpfull and  fast answer!

Just a little question, so the connection to my pc is via the usb, and is the low latency a problem factor or its really low so it's hardly noticable when playing?

My computer specs are intel core 2 duo 2x3000mhz, 4gb ram, windows7 i thing then it shouldnt be a problem!

I'll definetely buy the POD and if i have further questions i'll post them here, thanks!

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-01-21 03:07:29

Latency is normally very low when using the ASIO driver for the HD500 for direct USB recording.  It varies from computer to computer, but less than 10ms is typical (and i'm being conservative here - 4ms is not abnormal).  However, with an incoming guitar or other signal from the HD500, monitoring through the HD500 can be direct (normal default) or through your DAW.  Your DAW will compensate for any latency off-set anyway so you shouldn't have a problem either way.  There are a number of computer based factors to bear in mind as far as latency issues go, but your computer spec looks more than capable of handling this based on the information you've shared

Yep - that's what the forums are for.  Please post any other questions here.

Nick

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-21 03:07:38

The lower the latency the better.   Most people find the latency on the HD to be very low, provided you use the ASIO driver that is installed when you use Line 6 Monkey.  Your PC Spec looks pretty good to me, provided you are not running too many programs concurrently to your audio software.

The 500 is definitely more versatile than the bean, provided you have the room for it.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-21 03:09:11

Hah!  Nick was seconds ahead .....

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-01-21 03:12:10

Jim - you've just got to get quicker.....   Makes a change for me to get in before you lately though LOL

by ralle89 on 2012-01-21 05:38:57

Great answers guys.

@ Jim - thanks bud

@ Nick - I dont understand fully one of your sentences, sorry haha - " However, with an incoming guitar or other signal from the HD500, monitoring through the HD500 can be direct (normal default) or through your DAW.  Your DAW will compensate for any latency off-set anyway so you shouldn't have a problem either way. "

- monitoring trough the HD500 ( i know what monitoring means but not in this context )

- and what is DAW

Im really looking forward to it to learn everything about Line6 PODs and guitar effect processors so thanks for the answers and help!

by arislaf on 2012-01-21 06:04:53

Monitoring through the pod, means to use the output of the pod to listen what you play, meaning guitar to pod, pod to speakers.

D.A.W.: digitatl audio workstation (if I remember well), meaning your computer, recording program, asio of the computer.

by ralle89 on 2012-01-21 07:05:37

Thanks!

by Dshow on 2012-01-21 08:22:08

ralle89 schrieb:

So my question about the POD HD 500 is ( and thats the main question), can i connect it directly to my computer via USB and play along with backing tracks without using my AMP, record directly even if the PC is 4 years old and can i do that without any crappy delayed sound or problems with the sound.

My second question is, can i connect the POD 500 just to my guitar and headphones and play that way along ( for late night jamming). There i have then my AMP, a lot of people said i dont need the AMP anymore, its way easier to play just with my POD, PC and speakers ( headphones ), but i want to ask first experts.

It should be no problem with conntecting your POD HD500 to your computer via USB. I do that all the time with my laptop. I should mention one thing though since I think it is important to know, when using the unit to play along with backing tracks via USB:
I noticed that there is a "Dropout" of the sound when switching Patches within a song when playing to music coming from PC via USB (so using the POD as Sound card). I mean there is not only a normal delay when switching patch but also a dropout of the music. It seems that the whole "signal flow" from the soundcard is interrupted for about 25ms. For me this was really dissapointing since I use PODs in the third generation now and never had a Problem like that. I hope they are fixing this with the new firmware coming out soon.

I play with headphones a lot. Important that you use some good ones so that the sound coming from the POD is good. I use Sennheiser HD280 (silver). The sound is really good in my opinion.

by ralle89 on 2012-01-21 12:30:37

Thanks for your reply, cuz u use the POD the way i want to use it. So beside the dropout which you mention do the stuff you recorded on your PC sound really good, and is it good for practice using headphones?

And is it hard to getting used with the POD for beginners like me, what u think?

by Dshow on 2012-01-21 13:07:34

Hi ralle,

I think it is worth to get to POD for you. Regarding the dropouts I'm hoping they will fix that in one of the next firmwares.

I had the POD XT Bean, XT Live and X3 Live before - they all worked great. I sold my X3 Live 4 weeks ago and bought the HD500. I find the factory presets are not really good so I had to spend a lot of time tweaking my own sounds.

If you buy the unit you will have to spend some time creating or tweaking patches so that they fit your taste and the gear you use - but I'm pretty sure you will be satisfied. Also for recording it is a great unit with very good sounds.

You should get a good headphones and you will get very impressed :-)

by ralle89 on 2012-01-22 03:08:56

That sounds great, i know i have to spent some time to know the device to the bone, a worker in my local music store has the hd 500 and told me it takes some time to get used to the device. But that isnt a problem for me cuz i want to make my own sounds and patches and work really hard on it. I'll buy also good headphones, mine are kinda old and weak!

Thanks!

by Line6david on 2012-01-23 15:53:07

Hi,

Great answers by everyone! I'll leave this thread open a little longer incase anyone else wants to chime in. BTW, don't forget to download the advanced guide:

http://line6.com/support/manuals/podhd500">http://line6.com/support/manuals/podhd500">http://line6.com/support/manuals/podhd500

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

by Line6david on 2012-01-26 15:11:02

Hello. It has been at least 72 hours since we've heard from you. We're going to assume your question has been answered. If it has been answered, please award points to whoever was helpful and/or answered the question.

In the event your issue has not been resolved, I created a support ticket for you so we can continue to communicate. Please respond to the ticket. Thanks!!

Q: What is a support ticket?

A: A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link to the ticket when a Line 6 Support Representative responds to it. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support. Also, in your account, click My Account, then click Support Tickets to view the support ticket. Here’s a shortcut: http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/.

Please note: Sometimes support tickets will be filtered to spam and junk folders. If you did not receive an email from us indicating that a ticket has been created, please make sure to check those folders in your email host, and also that your email account is receiving messages at all.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.