These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Private Poll regarding EQ's on the HD pedals and racks
by hansvaneven on 2012-01-23 06:21:50

Removed .... please check this improved Poll now :

http://line6.com/support/polls/1138

Hans Van Even

Re: Private Poll regarding EQ's on the HD pedals and racks
by silverhead on 2012-01-23 07:00:12

Hmmmm........ interesting question. However, you do realize that in order to answer No someone would need to be of the opinion that the EQ situation is absolutley perfect as is; there could never be any possible or imaginable improvement. Nobody in the EQ discussions has ever suggested that.

I doubt that getting a 100% Yes response to that question would persuade anyone of anything.

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-23 07:16:12

It's always better then doing nothing ... and at least we get a clear picture of how many people would like the EQ to be improved, if you have another suggestion, please let me know ...

by silverhead on 2012-01-23 07:21:07

Well, I'm sure you've heard the proper mechanism before, but the way to get your suggestions for product improvement to be heard is.........

http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/">http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/">http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/

People who want to see the EQ improved should say so by submitting their request through the official channels.

A Yes result to such a biased question will, properly, be ignored.

by phil_m on 2012-01-23 07:23:51

I think it would be more helpful to let Line 6 know why people think the existing EQs are deficient and what exactly they are looking for in an improved model. The poll question is just pretty vague. It doesn't really give Line 6 any suggestion as to what type of improvement you're looking for.

by TheRealZap on 2012-01-23 07:25:19

I think the point is, that given the choice between better and the same everyone would say better.... Even if you asked about gold plated jacks, eqs, or color screens....

What it all means is that because your question itself shows bias the results will be considered tainted and thereby worthless for any sort of serious consideration....

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-23 08:20:34

LOL you guys are really funny!   oh well, I removed the poll .... but I think the question was pretty clear ... you "expert users" always have a great answer ready ... btw talking about biased, do you ever read your own posts ?

Hans

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-23 08:25:16

Silverhead, do us a favor and stop posting that link http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/, I think we all are aware of it now, and most people have already reported this EQ issue over the last year, I was just curious to see how many people think that the current EQ's lack functionality, and I don't think it's biased at all, but quite some of your posts are ...

Hans

by silverhead on 2012-01-23 08:38:05

hansvaneven wrote:

It's always better then doing nothing ... and at least we get a clear picture of how many people would like the EQ to be improved, if you have another suggestion, please let me know ...

... the higlighting is mine. I thought you meant it. Sorry.

.... and this is not about any product bias. This is about the validity of polling - regardless of context -  and your question rendered your poll meaningless.

EDIT: Nobody suggested you remove the poll. I think you should leave it open if you think you'll get useful information. But you also seem to think the information will be useful to Line 6. It won't be.

by phil_m on 2012-01-23 09:04:35

I actually don't think doing a poll of some sort is a bad idea. I just don't think the question you put up will give Line 6 any new information. As far as us being biased, I guess I would be surprised if we didn't have some preference for Line 6 stuff generally. I think we all try to be objective, but, yeah I basically support what Line 6 does. If there came I time when I couldn't honestly say that, I would probably not participate on the forums in the same way.

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-23 09:05:45

Silverhead, I think you should go into politics, what I meant is that quite some posts by expert users are biased here, and I still think my question was valid not at all meaningless, or I'd like to know what's meaningless asking if people think the current EQ's lack important functionality ? Sad enough you always have those L6 advocates for anything here when don't agree or don't like features, it's becoming pretty silly IMHO Anyway, the intention was good, but I'm tired to comment all the meaningless posts by people like you, rather play some guitar ...

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-23 09:10:51

I understand, but that's also what I found funny, because it was my question was supposed to be biased ... anyway, it would have been cool to be able to do some polls on this forums, but I don't seem to find a way to use that feature that's stated as poll here ...

by silverhead on 2012-01-23 09:32:42

I haven't explored the poll feature here, but I do think a poll about this could be useful if the question were not slanted. How about a poll that attemtps to compare the importance/priority of improving EQs vs. several other feature enhancements that are commonly suggested. I can think of

- more amp models

- ability to send different signals to the XLR (cab/mic sims) than to the 1/4" outs (no cab/mic)

- ability to send dry signal to DAW over usb

- POD Farm HD

- more vocal/bass guitar support

... and perhaps others.

That would be potentially usefuil information for Line 6. The only way they can get that now is to sift through the product feedback submissions (via that link you're tired of hearing about). Having that infor consolidated in a poll could be helpful. I don't know if the polling feature here can do this. Why not give it a try?

by johnpicton on 2012-01-23 09:47:49

Not sure you needed to remove the link to your poll. I do tend to agree with the others that have questioned how effective it would be BUT I also agree with your statement about at least doing something.

To be honest I am not actually too bothered abut EQ - yep I would love it being better if it was possible, but I personally have other priorities. So the point is that the people that are likely to want to participate in a poll like this are those people that agree with the statement. That is why I like Silverheads suggestion about perhaps a comparative poll. Fact is with the best will in the world there is a finite amount of development time available and Line6 have to decide how best to allocate that time. I really do believe that Line6 want to keep their end users happy, it makes commercial sense to do so. But you will never make everybody happy. For example I would prefer to have dry recording channels available befor time is spent on EQ, but that is my preference.

I have just looked at the poll feature and it isn't great (IMHO) but it is usable. If you click on new next to your name at the top of this screen you get the option to create a new poll. Then you need to select an appropriate group in which to create it (there is a group for HD users). You could then post a link to the poll on this discussion forum. As I said it isn't great but it is there and it does work.

by TheRealZap on 2012-01-23 09:59:46

Call me biased if you want...

but a poll that says "do you want better eqs or not" is biased... because the answer will nearly always be yes.... ask me if I I want anything or everything to be better and your answers still yes. ... if course we want better eqs and everything else... its a nonquestion. You are allowed to be biased... as are we... you can point it out..... and so can we. Deal.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-01-23 10:29:36

hansvaneven wrote:

LOL you guys are really funny!   oh well, I removed the poll .... but I think the question was pretty clear ... you "expert users" always have a great answer ready ... btw talking about biased, do you ever read your own posts ?

I wish you'd kept the question up, because this is a topic near and dear to my heart.  I want better EQ's in the HD units too because, while there are some nice options in the unit now, you have to use too many blocks to get what I'd ideally like in a single block.  To me, the ideal EQ block would have:

• 4 fully parametric bands
  • Low band would have low shelf, peak, or high pass.
  • High band would have high shelf, peak, or low pass.
  • Master Low and High attenuation
  • Master gain control
  • Visualization of applied EQ curve

One of the big weaknesses of the current HD EQ implementations is the last point: visualization.  While it's good practice to use your ears with EQ, you have to admit that it's difficult to discern exactly what's going on in some of the EQ effects on the HD.  Does anyone really know what's happening in the 4 band shift EQ with the shift control?  How about the Q control on the mid focus EQ?  And why are the controls on the mid focus EQ in percentages instead of Hz/kHz?  A better visual picture would help users more effectively use those EQ modules.

How's that for a biased answer?

by phil_m on 2012-01-23 10:32:09

How would visualization help you hear what's going on better?  

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-23 10:41:38

Here you go ... demo of a poll on this site http://line6.com/support/polls/1137">http://line6.com/support/polls/1137">http://line6.com/support/polls/1137 .  I dont think it shows up on the public listings .... does it?

I

by silverhead on 2012-01-23 10:45:41

I had no problem viewing your poll. I think it demonstrates that the suggested multiple choice question / poll could be created.

by johnpicton on 2012-01-23 10:48:19

And if I wanted Swiss Cheese? You see there is the hole in your poll

Seriously, Yep that would work well.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-23 11:02:05

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-23 11:16:29

LOL but the question wasn't " do you want better EQ's " it was "Do you think the current EQ lack functionality and do you want this improved" ...

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-01-23 11:18:24

phil_m wrote:

How would visualization help you hear what's going on better?  

LOL...that's not exactly what I meant.  Seeing what's going on in the EQ curve might more quickly lead you to the desired effect, but it would be up to your ears from there.  For instance, what's a 0% Q on the low pass parameter in the Mid-Focus EQ vs. a 100% Q?  Either give it to me in octaves, or better yet for the person that doesn't know how to translate that, show me in the curve itself.  What is 67% frequency on the low pass?  Do I need to turn it up or down to get where I'm intending it to go?

Or take a page from their new mixer and give me a graphical grid with laymans terms descriptions.  They understand the need for a visualization there.

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-23 11:55:50

Thanks Phil and Jon, will check the Poll feature and see if I can set this up, might be interesting !

Hans

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-23 11:57:34

How's that for a biased answer?

Seems like we have the same wish for the EQ, that said, looks like what they put into the new mixers, wluld really be great to have on the HD, will try to set the poll up tonight

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-23 11:59:41

Or take a page from their new mixer and give me a graphical grid with laymans terms descriptions.  They understand the need for a visualization there.

100% agree Visualisation is very usufull for an EQ, hence the reason why so many EQ's have this + analysers in it ... but not sure if this is possible in the curent state of the HD FX

Hans

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-23 12:00:35

Hilarious ... thanks for testing Jim .. will check this later

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-23 12:38:16

Ok, new poll is online now but will post a new discussion about it ... http://line6.com/support/polls/1138

thanks for the help on this one

Cheers,

Hans

by silverhead on 2012-01-23 12:53:55

Thanks for the initiative on this, hansvaneven. I think the results will be quite interesting, and I hope it gets a lot of response. I've provided my vote.

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-23 13:05:22

Thanks Silverhead, also posted this poll on the Line 6 facebook page, lets hope it gets some attention, and I'm curious to see what will be the most important feature for people ...

Hans

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-01-23 13:45:46

You forgot "User IR" as a feature.

I want three things:

• Better Parametric EQ
  • User IR's
  • Soldano SLO-100

by phil_m on 2012-01-23 14:20:01

I must say good job, as well. It's too bad the poll feature here doesn't allow for something like ranking of the choices. There were a number of those I would have voted for. It will still be interesting to see the results.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-23 14:44:52

Nice work Hans.

You can add extra choices if you need to - or even amend the existing choices if you were unscrupulous

Trouble is:  I don't think people can change their vote once cast

by silverhead on 2012-01-23 14:50:22

Karl_Houseknecht wrote:

You forgot "User IR" as a feature.

Don't take it personally, hansvaneven. No good deed goes unpunished around here!

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-23 15:01:01

Alternative Votes?  Proportional representation?  This forum is becoming a political hotspot

Yeah, the voting mechanism is a bit primitive.  Google document forms allow you to select multiple options .  I guess you could set it up like this but it would take a bit more working out ...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFJMb09IcklmWnpsVmdMSS1nRzd3MkE6MQ

It also puts the poll external to the site again

by hansvaneven on 2012-01-23 21:42:14

LOL ... but couldn't add more then 10 choices on the poll, I also would have liked to be able to have several choices per vote, but it's interesting to see that for now most people want a global EQ, and then multi outs + full parametric EQ, I'm curious how this is going to evolve in the next days ...

by Mr_Arkadin on 2012-01-24 03:18:45

Karl_Houseknecht wrote:

I want three things:

• Better Parametric EQ

Now that we have a bass amp, shouldn't we also have an EQ like the old Bass PodXT, a 6-band bass-oriented EQ?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.